Aftermarket Wheels on an e30 ix ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarket Wheels on an e30 ix ???

I'm curious if folks on this list who drive an e30ix have changed up their 15" rims for aftermarket ones?

I'd also like to know if you sized up to 16's or 17's and what offsets they are. I've read that the 15" ix rims have a 41mm offset, unlike the rest of its e30 brethren. Prices and where you got them would be helpful too.

I am looking around at options for the upcoming summer driving season.

Thanks

StoneCold

The iX hubs sit around 5-7mm futher out, so you'll want wheels with 5-7mm higher of an offset to achieve the same results as a RWD E30.

In reality, wheels made for 4x100 VW's work well on iX's. Usually have an offset in the 30's, and fill out the fenders reasonably well. To get a really aggressive look though, aim for wheels with an offset of 25-30mm. You won't rub anything, and it will look great.

Keep in mind that any wheel with a higher offset can be brought down to what you want with spacers. Just not the other way around.

Comment

Thanks. I'll fish around for good looking VW rims too. Any experience with 16's or 17's on an e30. How much does the weight of the steering change?

Comment

um stay away from heavy wheels for one. the ix doesn't like them. I had 17's and i'd recommend going 16 at max, eventhough i just ordered custom 17's. I don't drive my car daily so the 17's are fine. I also had to fit the wheels over my brakes. 17x7.5 et35 is pretty much ideal. 17x8 et30ish. kopi alpina reps are nice.

Comment

7.5" ET35 is still quite a bit in the fender, really. I've seen it. I'd go more like ET28 as ideal.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikal
            7.5" ET35 is still quite a bit in the fender, really. I've seen it. I'd go more like ET28 as ideal.
            i agree, but you won't find many wheels w/ et28. 17x7.5 is about all you find and that offset is sort of common w/ the dubbers. You may rub w/ et28, we'll see what happens when my wheels get here. 17x8 et30 i think i went w/.

Comment

Hate to bring up a dead thread but...

I have a set of 16" BBS RS wheels with an et25 offset. The car is sitting stock for now. I like to rally it so I think the ride height is going to stay stock. I am thinking that these rims will give me a very aggressive look but I am not sure what size tires to run... Any suggestion? What will fit w/o rubbing?

1989 325iX
              1995 540i
              1986 325eS R.I.P.
              1984 325e R.I.P.

Comment

205/50/16. Anything wider would very likely rub.

Comment

Originally posted by DrMcDave View Post
                  i agree, but you won't find many wheels w/ et28. 17x7.5 is about all you find and that offset is sort of common w/ the dubbers. You may rub w/ et28, we'll see what happens when my wheels get here. 17x8 et30 i think i went w/.
                  Hey dave, my jlines are 17x8 ET 20 Front 15mm rear and I have no rubbing issues whatsoever. I don't have big brakes, but I don't think that matters.
                  Recent Rebranding!!
                  Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
                  E30 SM62/S62
                  E30 M60 V8
                  E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
                  Instagram.com/garageaholic
                  Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Frank, this thread is about iX cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikal View Post
                      205/50/16. Anything wider would very likely rub.
                      Thats kinda what I was thinking... do you think it will look funny with that skinny of a tire? What about 225s? Where would they likely rub?

1989 325iX
                      1995 540i
                      1986 325eS R.I.P.
                      1984 325e R.I.P.

Comment

Not at all. 16" factory RS' are only 7" wide, a 205 is perfect. Unless yours are widened...

225's will very likely rub. Hell, the 205's might slightly.

Comment

205/50s and a 7" wheel with a 25mm offset is going to be close enough to the fenders as is. since your car is stock, you will probably be fine, but I bet you will rub a little when you have people in the back seat.

225s would rub for certain, and no amount of fender rolling would fix it. I'm running stock sized wheels and tires on mine with a 24mm offset, and even after rolling the rear fender (and trimming part of the fender flare too), it misses the lip but still rubs up inside the fender!

to run a 225, you have a very narrow range of offsets that work with a 7" wheel - ET30 to ET33. This is based off my calculations of offsets vs wheel width, comparing to a 225 hoosier which BARELY fits between the strut on the front and rear fender in the rear. the hoosiers do run a quite abit wider (they're actually close to 250mm) so you may be able to get away with ET27-ET35. the lower offsets will require trimming the rear flare and rolling the fender though.

I'm working on a chart of different wheel widths, offsets and tire sizes for an ix so you can get an idea of what to look for. not sure when it'll be done. if you want to run a wider wheel & tire the stock offset is way too high anyway, so don't even worry about that.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Alright looks like 205/50/16 it is... thanks for all your input.

1989 325iX
                            1995 540i
                            1986 325eS R.I.P.
                            1984 325e R.I.P.

Comment

Kinda off topic but I bought some aftermarket 17s and tryed putting them on but the special bmw lug screws dont fit right where can I find an adapter???? or is there one? I tryed searching and I failed sorry im so noob =(

Comment

Working...
                              X