Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are these what ESM002s are supposed to look like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have some esm wheels with that shit dual pattern also, I don't really like it but I have been using them for a while no problem.
    First e30 - 1991 318i 4 door

Comment

So many opinions. and how many of these opinions are backed by engineering calcs?

The wheel is supposed to be hubcentric for starters, which goes along way to holding it on and taking force through the hub and not the wheel nuts. Secondly the wheel is held on by the friction between the wheel the hub. this friction is generated by the tension in the wheel studs. The wheel nuts/studs should not be in any bending at all, pure tension to force the wheel to the hub.

So as long as there is enough meat in the wheel area where the wheel nuts bolt on so that the wheel does not crack in that area then there is nothing wrong with drilling multiple holes and even overlapping them. And unless you have done some FEA analysis on the wheel using some sort of force assumptions you can't comment if it is strong enough or not. Is a wheel with only 4 holes stronger than one with multi studd? yep cause there is more material. But is a multi studd strong enough to withstand the required forces? You don't know unless you do some analysis.

Comment

I had a set of PIAA's in the 90's that had this same 4x100/5x100 overlapping pattern. This used to be pretty common back in the day.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 82eye View Post
          ah crap. another wheel option gone. there is no way that wheel could be legally run here. if you got into an accident here on those you would have no coverage, even if the wheel had nothing to do with it.

i checked on the legality and was told there is nothing that targets the wheel bolt pattern specifically. it does fall under something they call altered safety equipment, which negates coverage in the event of an accident. hardly seems fair. in reality tho it would be up to an adjuster to note the change and follow up on it, which is rarely the case. another example of the same thing would be installing and using a racing seat harness on a street car instead of the oem belt, again it negates the insurance.

it appears to be mostly a technicality issue allowing our singular monolithic communist insurance provider a way out of paying.

the other hassel is tire shops here won't touch it.

tire shops won't mount a tire on a rim with over lapping pattern nor will they balance it. there's less than a snowball's chance they'd hang it on a car if the tire somehow found it's way on to an overlapping rim. makes zero difference if it's hub centric or not.

for them it's all about liability.

conversely they will mount a fill 'n drill wheel so long as there is only one bolt pattern present, again for whatever reason, being hub centric never enters the equation . they will also mount multiple patterns all day long so long as each hole is separate with no overlap.

learned a bunch about the law regarding car modding here because of this issue. looks like i'm allowed to do nothing over all here lol.

Comment

Working...
          X