Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASK ALL WHEEL/TIRE FITMENT QUESTIONS HERE - The Official Wheel/Tire Fitment Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gmvt View Post
    Bought a set of Rota Slpstreams today . Going on a restored 325 vert 86.
    After reading all your posts I felt this will work without spacers. Now I need to order tires.
    I dont want to roll fenders. Brand new paint in inner fenders. 215/225 40/45/50 ??????
    Any help most appreciated.
    Bob
    Ludlow, Vt
    There are lots of choices that will work without rubbing:
    205/45/16
    205/50/16
    215/40/16
    215/45/16

Choose whatever your favourite tire is available in. The 205/50/16 is the only one as tall as a stock tire, which some prefer for speedometer/odometer accuracy, load rating, and wheel well filling reasons. The others are all slightly shorter, with the 215/40/16 being the smallest of the bunch.

Comment

Would a 17x7 wheel with a 40mm offset work for our cars?
      I got a fender roller now! LMK if you need me to roll your fenders or want to rent the tool from me locally.

Paypal: vdang5@gmail.com

Delta Auto Care
      2875-C Towerview Road
      Herndon, VA

My Feedback Thread: Evil_Twin

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikal View Post
        You can get reasonably close with a slide ruler or something like that. Just measure the distance from the hub face to the rear edge of the wheel and use the wheel width to calculate offset. Keep in mind if you have to manually measure wheel width (as in lip to lip) it's always 0.5-1" wider than the actual width we use in wheel talk.
        So, basically, it is the distance from the centerline of the wheel to the hub? My wheels do not have any markings at all...

I put a set of Racing Dynamics 16X7.5 on my car, they are ET25, rocking 225/45/16 tires, forget which ones. They definitely are not nearly as flush as my 17's. I think my 17's might be ET20, maybe ET15, but as soon as I pull the tires off I will measure.

So now I want to convert to studs. Any handy suggestions on how to properly measure to make sure I have proper thread depth both on the lug nuts and the hub?

I have to use gay-ass "tuner" lug nuts, but I am gonna use the style that is driven from the outside and are fully threaded...the other style looks like it might be hard to get perfect...and I am gonna use 10mm spacers in the rear.

Thanks so much for the help!

Luke

Closing SOON!
        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by evil_twin View Post
          Would a 17x7 wheel with a 40mm offset work for our cars?
          It'll bolt on, but it will be like a foot inside the fenders (not really, but it looks stupid).

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
            So, basically, it is the distance from the centerline of the wheel to the hub? My wheels do not have any markings at all...

I put a set of Racing Dynamics 16X7.5 on my car, they are ET25, rocking 225/45/16 tires, forget which ones. They definitely are not nearly as flush as my 17's. I think my 17's might be ET20, maybe ET15, but as soon as I pull the tires off I will measure.

So now I want to convert to studs. Any handy suggestions on how to properly measure to make sure I have proper thread depth both on the lug nuts and the hub?

I have to use gay-ass "tuner" lug nuts, but I am gonna use the style that is driven from the outside and are fully threaded...the other style looks like it might be hard to get perfect...and I am gonna use 10mm spacers in the rear.

Thanks so much for the help!

Luke
            It's the difference between the wheel's centerline and the hub. So an ET20 wheel has its hub face 20mm outboard of the center of the wheel.

For the studs, you need at least 12mm of engagement. A standard 45mm kit or whatever it is is more than enough for use without spacers.

Comment

LoL. Thanks again. I guess I will stick with a 15x8 et 0. I just would have had a sick deal on a pair of 17x7 wheels.

Thanks
              I got a fender roller now! LMK if you need me to roll your fenders or want to rent the tool from me locally.

Paypal: vdang5@gmail.com

Delta Auto Care
              2875-C Towerview Road
              Herndon, VA

My Feedback Thread: Evil_Twin

Comment

17x8 et20...

What are my options for tires... i'd LIKE to run 225's up front and 235's in the rear. I'm willing to roll the fenders a bit if i have to.

Dave
                E30 Dinan Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by evil_twin View Post
                  LoL. Thanks again. I guess I will stick with a 15x8 et 0. I just would have had a sick deal on a pair of 17x7 wheels.

Thanks
                  I think 17x7 ET40 looks less retarded than 15x8 ET0. :p

Comment

Originally posted by bimma360 View Post
                    17x8 et20...

What are my options for tires... i'd LIKE to run 225's up front and 235's in the rear. I'm willing to roll the fenders a bit if i have to.

Dave
                    First, are you 5-lug? If so, E30 M3?

Comment

You can do 8mm in the back with just a small fender roll on the 17x8's. The front can handle 3-5mm to problem.

Obviously the wider the wheel the better out of that range for the 15s. Something like the Team Dynamics at 15x7 ET25 makes the 225 easy to fit. The wider the wheel gets, the wider the tire gets pulled, the less room for error you have.
                      Since the fronts are rolled (and ever so slightly pulled) I will go 5mm in the front.

Since the backs are rolled pretty good as well, can I go 10mm?

I'm planning on lowering the car on the coils even more, so the back will get some help with camber. Is 15mm spacer in the back possible? Or would that take running a 205/40?
                      Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                      Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                      One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
                        Since the fronts are rolled (and ever so slightly pulled) I will go 5mm in the front.

Since the backs are rolled pretty good as well, can I go 10mm?

I'm planning on lowering the car on the coils even more, so the back will get some help with camber. Is 15mm spacer in the back possible? Or would that take running a 205/40?
                        Even an 8mm isn't the best option, as the hub will probably be completely covered. 10mm is possible with a flat lip though. 15mm...not so much.

Comment

would 245/45/16 works with sportmax's ???? 501 16X8....
                          Originally posted by e30e
                          lose the old man bmwcca badge.

Comment

Originally posted by bimmer_E30 View Post
                            would 245/45/16 works with sportmax's ???? 501 16X8....
                            Sure. With huge flares on the car.

Anything bigger than a 215/45 on those wheels is tough.

Comment

Sure. With huge flares on the car.

Anything bigger than a 215/45 on those wheels is tough.
                              so if i went with 215/45 with the 501 would the rear wheels rub???
                              Originally posted by e30e
                              lose the old man bmwcca badge.

Comment

Originally posted by bimmer_E30 View Post
                                so if i went with 215/45 with the 501 would the rear wheels rub???
                                You'd have to roll the rear fender lips. 205/45 is what you want if you want to avoid any extra work.

Comment

Working...
                                X