Touring Gas Tank Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Touring Gas Tank Problem

I recently purchased a 1991 318i Touring off BaT and it’s absolutely immaculate. I’ve been driving it around a lot since purchasing, but started noticing after filling it up it smells like gas for a few days when standing anywhere near the car.

I wasn’t sure if this was a bad fuel pump seal or something more straightforward, but I noticed there’s no access panel like there is under the rear seat of E30 coupes. Is it in a different location on the tourings, or is my only option dropping the gas tank to check it?

Is this a common problem among E30’s that has a known typical solution? I can’t pinpoint a location, but it’s definitely not coming from the engine bay.

push the release clips under the seat to pop it off the hinged bar.

edit : it's probable your hoses under the seat have gotten old and need replacing.

Comment

So there is an access panel in the interior? The seats fold up, but I didn’t see anything.

Comment

Originally posted by wedykes5 View Post
        So there is an access panel in the interior? The seats fold up, but I didn’t see anything.
        access panels are underneath the carpet below the seat bottom.

Comment

Mine had the same problem - fuel smell if I put more than 5 gal in the tank. Replaced the seals on the pump and sender plus everything between the filler and fuel rail (except for the metal lines on top of the tank and metal line under car to charcoal canister). Also removed the tank, had it inspected and cleaned. No more fuel smell.
          1992 325i Cabrio
          1988 320i Touring
          2000 M5
          1977 530i
          2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
          BMWCCA
          E30CCA

Comment

Yes, many tourings have the carpet cut under the rear seat to facilitate pump access. You have to remove the rear seat if you don't want to cut the carpet.

As above, pump or sender o ring, fuel supply lines, or vent lines at RR wheel well are all possibilities for vapor or liquid fuel leaks.

Comment

crap my bad. i completely forgot you might have to remove the backs with the carpet attached if you don't want it cut.

with the seat bottom tilted forward remove the 10mm bolts at the bottom of the side bolsters. they have hooks at the top, you may need to slide up the belt guide to remove the bolsters. tilt half of the seat-back forward about 45 degrees, it should lift it up out of the slot at the outer hinge, pull it forward and slide it off the center guide. repeat for the other side.

Comment

I have the exact same issue. I have all the parts and am embarking on exactly the same boat!

Comment

I finally got around to taking the back seats, carpets, seat mounts, and threshold plates apart. Got into the access and everything looked perfect so I decided to leave sleeping dogs and all that. I was surprised and happy to see that the more than meter long soft fuel line had been replaced by a hard line by the time my '94 rolled off the line. Buttoned everything back up (without breaking any fragile plastic parts), and after a gasoline bath or two, changed the filter and associated fuel lines and the fat filler hose. Problem solved, for now at least.

Oh yeah, the fuel filter had the date, 27-9-93! The manufacture date of my grocery getter is 11-93! Maintenance! My m52b28 seemed revvier. All in my head?

Comment

Working...
                  X