Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does your hatch squeak when going over rough patches of road?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does your hatch squeak when going over rough patches of road?

I have spent a lot of time to adjust the side bumpers the latch to try and get rid of the squeaking, but have not been successful.

I have a hard time believing that my hatch is loose as it takes a good slam now for the latch to hook.

So does your hatch squeak as well? Did you fix it? Or is this something we have to live with?

My 1989 e30 s52 Touring... this is Betty

My 1989 325i vert (sold)...this is Nina

My 1991 M5 (sold)... this is Veronica

Photo comparison: OEM vs aftermarket windscreen for a convertible

I'd chalk it up to the chassis settling; i get a little squeaking over cobble stone. Check your gaps and make sure that when the hatch closes, its latching tightly against the rubber buffer pads.
    -89' 320iT, Brilliantrot
    -15' 320i, Glacier Silver Metallic

Comment

Mine definitely squeaks. Haven't had time to adjust it. Just got a new seal for the rear hatch. So plan to adjust the latch and side stops when I install the seal.
      1992 325i Cabrio
      1988 320i Touring
      2000 M5
      1977 530i
      2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
      BMWCCA
      E30CCA

Comment

That'll probably do it, I'd also pop off those hinge covers and make sure its greased adequately and that they're tight. If the hatch has no rust, It's a sure bet its been taken off and replaced or repaired/painted.
        -89' 320iT, Brilliantrot

Comment

Finally installed the new rear hatch seal. Adjusted the hatch latch and one of the side adjuster pins. No more rattles, squeeks, etc. I didn't even realize how much noise the hatch was making. I know it's just the change in sound, but the car even feels stiffer.

Noticed the manufacture date of the seal was 2005. I wonder how many touring specific parts haven't been made in 11 years and will become NLA as soon as the current stock sells out? Makes me want to start hoarding parts.
          1992 325i Cabrio
          1988 320i Touring
          2000 M5
          1977 530i
          BMWCCA
          E30CCA

Comment

Quite a few things. I'm looking at buying up some new touring sheet metal, quarter windows, and the fixed rear door glass before I leave here since I'm sure itd be a nightmare to get in the states. Thinking about snatching up a NOS hatch as well, but my bank account disagrees
            -89' 320iT, Brilliantrot

Comment

Bring me a hatch! Mine is rotting beyond repair
              My feedback:
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=186328

http://e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74911

Instagram:
              @gears_n_glory

@functionmotorsports

Comment

Hell, I honestly doubt there could be more than a handful left. A guy in the UK just bought the very last one in that region
                -89' 320iT, Brilliantrot

Comment

I will make sure to treat my 'not too rusty' hatch with extra love and care in that case.
                  '89 318i Touring
                  '90 Miata

Comment

mine squeaks. but i don't really care. i just turn up the radio.

Comment

Originally posted by cory58 View Post
                      Finally installed the new rear hatch seal. Adjusted the hatch latch and one of the side adjuster pins. No more rattles, squeeks, etc. I didn't even realize how much noise the hatch was making. I know it's just the change in sound, but the car even feels stiffer.
                      So a little over a month and maybe 200 miles driven....and my hatch is already squeaking again. Fun!
                      1992 325i Cabrio
                      1988 320i Touring
                      2000 M5
                      1977 530i
                      BMWCCA
                      E30CCA

Comment

I was noticing my hatch squeaking a little bit more, checked it out and had to adjust the side strikers where the pins land( was also chewing up the rubber tips) so it would sit flush with the body, then adjusted the latch and its good to go.
                        -89' 320iT, Brilliantrot

Comment

How much did you adjust it?

My side pegs on the hatch seat firmly up against the plastic strikers that I have to slam the hatch down for it to catch.

My squeaking has gone down considerably, but closing the hatch sucks. I pretty sure BMW didn't adjust it like this from the factory.

My 1989 e30 s52 Touring... this is Betty

My 1989 325i vert (sold)...this is Nina

My 1991 M5 (sold)... this is Veronica

Photo comparison: OEM vs aftermarket windscreen for a convertible

Comment

Nope.
                            sigpic

Comment

Be glad you just have a squeak. If I pull into a driveway with some articulation, my coupe trunk will actually pop open if it's not locked.

ATTENTION:

FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT DONE SO, PLEASE DO SO AT THIS TIME

Comment

Working...
                              X