No announcement yet.

1989 320i Touring (Import)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The M40 wants to be driven at lower RPM, the indirect actuated valves are also a less harsh sound, there is no chain clatter, and the factory exhaust manifold probably holds down even more noise.

You've also aged, and your hearing has changed to some degree. In my early 20s I liked the M42 sound, once I was over 30 it got slightly annoying.

Comment

So I sold the 325iX as a parts car to a friend.

Kind of hurts to see it go, but I don't have the time to really give it the attention it needs and the parts will be used to make another iX live a long life.

Had to do some moving in our backyard to get the iX out so I parked the touring on the street and man am I really happy to have her.

Noticed the right side of the cluster did not work, so no tach, temp gauge or fuel economy meter

Took out the SI board and the batteries were pretty corroded.

Guy I sold the iX to, had an extra SI board he let me swap into the cluster

buttoned everything up

it was a lot easier going out than in hehehe

praying it works haha

TEMP GAUGE!

I need to figure out the other parts of the cluster that still need addressing.

Also I took the Mtech 1 wheel from my iX and put it in my Touring. Need to see if I can get the tracks on my sport seats fixed and placed into the Touring as well.

If anyone has a breakdown on transferring heated seats over to a non heated car, id be all ears.

Comment

Beautiful colour on your Touring. Quite funny to see how rare these Tourings are at your side of the pond.

To retrofit heated seat you'll need the wiring harnesses and switches. This write-up could be usefull for you : https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...kit-from-a-e30

Take some pictures while installing, good luck!
        Belgian E30 Driver
        /
        //
        1990 - E30 - 318i Cabriolet Brilliantrot
        /// 1988 - E30 - 320i Touring Diamantschwarz (Sold)
        /// 1990 - E30 - 318IS Coupé Lazurblau

Check out my Rare BMW Music Edition Cassettes Topic

Comment

Originally posted by PieterVN View Post
          Beautiful colour on your Touring. Quite funny to see how rare these Tourings are at your side of the pond.

To retrofit heated seat you'll need the wiring harnesses and switches. This write-up could be usefull for you : https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...kit-from-a-e30

Take some pictures while installing, good luck!
          Hey, that's amazing!

I just texted my friend that took the iX if I could get the wiring harness and buttons from him. It would be pretty amazing swap. Funny enough, this touring has no A/C, and really gearing up to be a winter vehicle, but I have no plans to drive it during the winter. Michigan heavily salts their roads and I'm just not going to risk it.

Troy

Comment

Hi Troy,

Yeah EU vehicles rarely have the A/C from factory. Seems to be quite rare here. Only high-end vehicles like the 325iX have these most of the times. My 318iS also came with it. But that's because the car was originally sold in Spain. So also in hot countries people seemed to order this option.

​​​​​​I used to work in classic car shop and we imported dozens of US cars. And even on older models like Jaguar E-Types, MB Pagodas and 911's most of them were equipped with it. While EU models most of the times didn't.

Take car of her, would be a shame to let her rot from the salt.
            Belgian E30 Driver
            /
            //

Comment

^
              On the rust front I'd suggest that all new owners of tourings really aggressively inspect for rust. Remove plastic components, peel back sound deadening, lift up carpets, peer in to crevices, feel behind lips, poke things. These cars got used, and then exported for a reason.

Comment

Hey Rogue, Im already on top of that and have the car getting much needed bushings, timing belts, water pump, new headliner and rust repair, lastly painless dent removal.

Just received my swatches for the headliner replacement and I think Ill be going with the Amber Glow alcantara.

Also added a small trim piece back to my M Tech 1 Wheel

-----Current List of fun things----

Tachometer still doesn't work and Ill need to re inspect the SI Board again. TEMP and FUEL Eco gauges work fine.

Ordered a new radio and mounting bracket, will be installing that next week.

Still learning how to be a better manual driver heheh

Comment

Did you check the voltages of the batteries? After replacing mine i still had similar problems. Turned out to be the white coding plug that was toast. Also check your fuses.
                  Belgian E30 Driver
                  /
                  //

Comment

Double checked the fuses, still going over the white coding plug. Hopefully thats the cause. Radio, Temp, Fuel Eco and Speedometer work just fine.

Comment

Wow, a month really flew by.

So the euro radiator really kicked the bucket on me haha

decided on installing the bigger rad from the American side for ease. Pretty simple swap over. Albeit, I feel as though the engine needs a new headgasket.

Also got around to installing my BMWCCA emblem

Comment

Since the coolant fiasco, my headliner from Relicate went missing for a whole month and Im pretty sure my head gasket went caput.

A buddy of mine ended up trading his Daytona 316i Touring for an e36 M3 + and he's looking to motor swap it with an s54. So in turn, Im planning on purchasing his s52 and throwing it in to this bad boy.

Comment

Hey! I just imported a 318iT from Leo as well--got here in late December. I'm curious how often you guys take your M40s to redline--I haven't felt super compelled to wring it all the way out just yet, and feel a little nervous in general about doing that with cars not from this century (which, at this point, is all three of our cars). Also, what radio are you installing?

Comment

Originally posted by hteverow View Post
                            Hey! I just imported a 318iT from Leo as well--got here in late December. I'm curious how often you guys take your M40s to redline--I haven't felt super compelled to wring it all the way out just yet, and feel a little nervous in general about doing that with cars not from this century (which, at this point, is all three of our cars). Also, what radio are you installing?
                            It won't hurt it, since there is a limiter for a reason, but you gain little by doing so considering the power curve of an M40. Also, check out your camshaft for unusual wear, and if you see some there is a kit to replace it along with other components.

If you decide you like revving it out, be sure you do clean up under the intake tract as there are lots of potentials for vacuum leaks, and you wouldn't want to lean out at high RPM.

Comment

hteverow Not sure on m4x engine, never driven a 4 banger. I went the Continental radio everyone throws in here now. Its pretty straight forward ($160) and has Bluetooth

While the touring is complete snowed in, I've been ordering small things here and there.

Received the pieces needed for the rear headrest

Then promptly started ripping everything apart on my lunch break

Realized my right side is stuck, but found a cool r3v thread that Ill attempt to use on it

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...ing-seat-stuck

Will post more photos when I have the headrest inserted. Need to fix a few issues with the locking mechanism before I move forward.

Comment

Finished my rear headrest install and also bought a new set of basketweaves (style 5/14in) from one of the e30 discord members

Before I got the new set of rims, I took the car out for photoshoot, but ran into some issues with my shifter linkage and or transmission (Next project after suspension). I did get a few photos though.

Buddys Fox wagon

And finally, some new rims

Comment

Working...
                                X