Rear Window Washer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Window Washer

I'm having difficulty routing the tube that goes to the rear window washer. The problem location is at the left hinge for the rear door. I can't figure out how to route the tube and not interfere with the trim. Does it take special small diameter tubing?

Looking back at a picture it looks like standard diameter tubing going through the body cavity and then in to the hinge on the left hand side. Unfortunately, the picture I found from one of my tourings does not have the hinge trim removed, so I'm judging by a tiny loop of tube hanging down.

Comment

Any idea what the tubing OD is? The one I'm using is about 1/4" and it doesn't really fit in there very good.

Comment

Hard to say from the one picture I have, the best guidance I could really give is that all BMW washer line appears to be listed as 4.6mm, not sure on OD of course, but I do think that all of the washer fittings are the same size. Best bet might be to heat the tube (if plastic) and oval it slightly.

Comment

Originally posted by twright View Post
          Any idea what the tubing OD is? The one I'm using is about 1/4" and it doesn't really fit in there very good.
          Will check mine this weekend and report back. I did some work on the rear washer system about 4 years ago and may have replaced the tubing.

Cory

1992 325i Cabrio
          1988 320i Touring
          2000 M5
          1977 530i
          2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
          BMWCCA
          E30CCA

Comment

Originally posted by cory58 View Post

Will check mine this weekend and report back. I did some work on the rear washer system about 4 years ago and may have replaced the tubing.

Cory
            Great. That will be a big help.

The tubing that I am using seemed to be fine in the summertime. Now that it's cold, its a lot stiffer and doesn't bend as well.

Comment

Great. That will be a big help.

The tubing that I am using seemed to be fine in the summertime. Now that it's cold, its a lot stiffer and doesn't bend as well.
              The tubing OD on my car is 7.5mm. That agrees with the specs of this hose (OE and Cohline) available at the usual online parts sources: 4.5mm x 7.5mm. This is the hose between the pump and check valve.

Cory
              1992 325i Cabrio
              1988 320i Touring
              2000 M5
              1977 530i
              BMWCCA
              E30CCA

Comment

That's about the same size as mine, but mine's not working in the cold weather. Is yours nice and flexible when its cold? Mine is not and instead of bending nicely when I close the rear door, mine tries to stay straight and knocks the trim piece off.

Comment

That's about the same size as mine, but mine's not working in the cold weather. Is yours nice and flexible when its cold? Mine is not and instead of bending nicely when I close the rear door, mine tries to stay straight and knocks the trim piece off.
                  Mine is fine. May be time to replace yours. The new hose will be more flexible. You can route it correctly and once it's been in the correct position for a while it will "take a set."

Cory
                  Last edited by cory58; 09-27-2021, 12:18 PM.
                  1992 325i Cabrio
                  1988 320i Touring
                  2000 M5
                  1977 530i
                  BMWCCA
                  E30CCA

Comment

Mine is new. I got the line from Lowes. What kind of material is yours? Where did you get it?

Comment

Lowe's is the problem. Do yourself a favor and replace metric with metric. It will save a lot of headaches. The OE washer hose is available from all the regular places (FCP, ECS, Pelican). Cohline also makes an aftermarket version. It's 4.5mm x 7.5mm.
                      1992 325i Cabrio
                      1988 320i Touring
                      2000 M5
                      1977 530i
                      BMWCCA
                      E30CCA

Comment

Originally posted by cory58 View Post
                        Lowe's is the problem. Do yourself a favor and replace metric with metric. It will save a lot of headaches. The OE washer hose is available from all the regular places (FCP, ECS, Pelican). Cohline also makes an aftermarket version. It's 4.5mm x 7.5mm.
                        We have a winner!

I replaced the Lowes hose with the correct part number metric hose. It fits nicely now.

Now all I have to do is figure out where the line is plugged. The hose in the hinge is open and flows freely. The cap at the wiper is open. Somewhere in between there is a blockage.

Comment

Isn't there a check valve inside the trim panel of the tailgate?

Comment

I'm not sure. I'll take it apart and see what I find.

Hopefully, it won't be some Euro only part that costs $75 to get to the US.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                              Isn't there a check valve inside the trim panel of the tailgate?
                              The answer is "YES", there is a checkvalve in the rear door that could prevent fluid from flowing to the nozzle.

However, if the line is kinked BEFORE the check valve, no fluid will get to the check valve or the nozzle.

I am now unkinked and completely functional.

The only problem is that I'm going through a lot of washer fluid, because it's so much fun to watch.

Comment

Working...
                              X