What am I getting myself into?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What am I getting myself into?

So i'm getting near the end of wrapping up my E30 build. I've already got a new project in mind- somewhat rusty slammington-ish e28 rat rod.

I like e28's, i'm very familiar with e30's, is there anything I should know about e28's before diving in?

I've already got a manual trans 533 lined up on the cheap.
    I don't always wreck cars, but when I do I wreck them into trees.

91' 318is S50 swap - The Black Widow

This question is way too vague.
    2008 335i - n54b30
    1991 318i - m52b28
    1994 fzj80 - LAND CRUSHER

Comment

I don't think its too vague, broad maybe, but not really vague. Are there any pain in the ass e28 problems that I don't know about? Hidden costs, parts you wouldn't expect to need to replace, but had to, etc.

Comment

When I had my e28 535is, I wasnt expecting to spend as much as I did on gas. Hah, but that's only bc I loved flooring that thing around. I know it wasnt really the answer you were looking for but to be honest, it wasnt too surprising of a car when it came to maintenance/work compared to my e30s.

The biggest issue I always read about on mye28.com is the brake bomb failing.
        2008 335i - n54b30
        1991 318i - m52b28
        1994 fzj80 - LAND CRUSHER

Comment

Think of it as a larger E30 - fairly straight forward to work on. Mye28.com has a wealth of information, so search & read old posts there.
          The front suspension bits can indue vibration (esp. upper control arm/thrust rod bushings), so get quality parts & tighten the bolts with the suspension loaded.
          Don't make it too low or you'll spend more on rear tires than gas!

Comment

I do intend to dump this car down low. Sounds like i'm in for another subframe pull and eccentric tab install.

Considering its use as a cruiser/lul at the insanity car, i'm not too worried about the rubber though.

Any other input?

My paint guy(and resident e28 nut) has offered some beat up euro bumpers, materials for chopping the top, etc. Hes all in on this.

Comment

check for rust in the spare wheel well... usually rusts out from the rear bumper shock and along this strut into the well.

It is not a big deal, it just can cause your trunk to get damp during humid days. so pull carpet. or patch the hole.

overall solid car.

Comment

I would have to say rust is the biggest issue with where you are. Also, don't use that 533 trans. Use it predecessor, the 260/6. Stronger and widely available.

1983 533i - in the middle of a m30b35 swap
                1986 528e - the DD
                1992 325i Vert

Comment

E28s are freakin awesome.

That is all.

Comment

Don't chop the top. Worst mod that Mike ever did to that shitty old e28.
                    5erWest <--- click it.

Comment

Originally posted by lbreevesii View Post
                      I've already got a new project in mind- somewhat rusty slammington-ish e28 rat rod.
                      NO.

I like e28's...
                      The you will not do the above.

;)

Originally posted by Jake D View Post
                      Agree. Coulda just replaced the A pillar and it woulda been less work.
                      1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

So i'm getting near the end of wrapping up my E30 build. I've already got a new project in mind- somewhat rusty slammington-ish e28 rat rod.

1986 Plymouth Horizon. Base.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake D View Post

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy View Post

Agree. Coulda just replaced the A pillar and it woulda been less work.

angry much? the chop top look on rusty looks cool. it gives it a sleeker style... i think u guys r just mad because u guys dont have that much creativity.. and the reason u guys dont like it because u wouldnt do that.. which isnt a reason to diss on someone else...
                          1989 325i SETA stroker [delphin] R3V'd 8/31/2011
                          1989 325ix [zinnoberrot] $OLD
                          1970 2002 [Nevada]

Originally posted by Herr Faust Schinken
                          guy must have slid into something that doesn't look like a car vs car hit
                          Originally posted by ak-
                          Must of slid into Rob

Comment

I like e28's, i'm very familiar with e30's, is there anything I should know about e28's before diving in?

I've already got a manual trans 533 lined up on the cheap.

everythign that u would want to do to an e28... has been done to an e30.. and most of the time it handles better.. drives faster.. and usually looks better... so just watch for that..
                            1989 325i SETA stroker [delphin] R3V'd 8/31/2011
                            1989 325ix [zinnoberrot] $OLD
                            1970 2002 [Nevada]

Originally posted by Herr Faust Schinken
                            guy must have slid into something that doesn't look like a car vs car hit
                            Originally posted by ak-
                            Must of slid into Rob

Comment

Originally posted by M20_fiend View Post
                              angry much? the chop top look on rusty looks cool. it gives it a sleeker style... i think u guys r just mad because u guys dont have that much creativity.. and the reason u guys dont like it because u wouldnt do that.. which isnt a reason to diss on someone else...
                              Nope. Being creative doesn't mean it looked good. Totally threw off the proportions of the car, IMO.

The low thing was one thing. Looked good, great even. Low e28s look damn good, I own one.

Chopped topped e28s? Meh...like I said above, screws with the lines of the car.

Mike did some creative stuff, but not really. It's all been done to old ass American cars. He just took it into a new realm. Props for that. I'm generally a supporter of Rusty, but when it get's people wanting to take nice, well bodied e28s and cut them up, no.

Get a derelict 528e, or a rusted out 535. Something that would be going in the junk heap after one is done playing and moves on to another trend.
                              1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Working...
                              X