I bought a total loss e28.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought a total loss e28.

Update: I bought it. Currently restoring it.

Asking price is $500 obo.
    Car was obviously involved in a collision..
    Owner states it runs and drives.. but i haven't heard about alignment yet.
    He also states that the head was recently rebuilt/swapped for an i head.
    Transmission 1st and 3rd synchros are somewhat gone..
    It doesn't look that bad from the photos.. but my main concern was if i wanted to save it, can you guys give me an idea what most go through when dealing with insurance and registration?

im just thinking of buying it as a daily so i can do a swap on my e30... and also actually use some 5 lug wheels i have in the garage. lol
    Last edited by jdirty; 04-25-2014, 07:35 AM.
    sigpic

yea get it. offer 350. i just bought a 91 4 door 325i and found a s4.10 dif in it. u never know what other goodies u can use once u get these things in the air. and if your swapping u will easily be able to make money by selling the rebuilt head once the swap is fini
    m20 is plenty. im simply a drifter.
    build thread -- http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=206510

Comment

Looks to me like the accident got into the frame on the passenger side. Good luck getting it back together. If I were to buy it, it'd be as a parts car. I think $500 leaves plenty of meat on the bone if it has an LSD and the rest of the body panels are straight. Trans is probably garbage unless you sell it to someone who wants to rebuild it.
      1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by ROLLingKING View Post
        yea get it. offer 350. i just bought a 91 4 door 325i and found a s4.10 dif in it. u never know what other goodies u can use once u get these things in the air. and if your swapping u will easily be able to make money by selling the rebuilt head once the swap is fini
        Good point on that diff!

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
        Looks to me like the accident got into the frame on the passenger side. Good luck getting it back together. If I were to buy it, it'd be as a parts car. I think $500 leaves plenty of meat on the bone if it has an LSD and the rest of the body panels are straight. Trans is probably garbage unless you sell it to someone who wants to rebuild it.
        BINGO! Just heard back from the owner that passenger frame rail is crushed in but he claims it drives straight.

I might just buy it for the diff IF it's an LSD, mtech 1 wheel, and also for the good condition motor in it. I'm still waiting on the seller.
        sigpic

Comment

Found out it's an open diff. I might still check it out and drive it. See how bad the g260 is.

M20 for $200... plus free e28.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jdirty View Post
            Found out it's an open diff. I might still check it out and drive it. See how bad the g260 is.

M20 for $200... plus free e28.
            Then when your done, body is worth about $80 to a scrapyard.

$120 M20

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

Drives straight but check it..
              Landscape left is firewall and right is core support.
              Engine runs like a champ.
              Decisions decisions.
              Attached Files
              sigpic

Comment

if you're asking if it's safe to drive around town for a daily, I wouldn't personally drive that car over 25 miles per hour--and that would only be to get it to wherever I was going to tear it apart.
                Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!

Comment

Originally posted by smooth View Post
                  if you're asking if it's safe to drive around town for a daily, I wouldn't personally drive that car over 25 miles per hour--and that would only be to get it to wherever I was going to tear it apart.
                  I agree with the safety concern. Im just undecided if i want to save it or part it. Ive always had a soft spot for e28s. And for $200.. This thing drove great.

Test drove it earlier. And it is an eta with an i head. Swap was 1500 mi ago. Walbro pump along with the swap. And new injectors.
                  Full tool kit.
                  Oem brochures.
                  Fairly new tires.

80% want also because ill need a daily when i do my e30's swap.
                  sigpic

Comment

you can't save it and you can't drive it around safely
                    if you need that motor and you can get it cheaply enough then that's what you're looking at
                    I wouldn't even count on getting any money from parting it out
                    Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!

Comment

Originally posted by smooth View Post
                      you can't save it and you can't drive it around safely
                      if you need that motor and you can get it cheaply enough then that's what you're looking at
                      I wouldn't even count on getting any money from parting it out
                      Thank you for talking sense into me. Ill think about it still.. Parts wise.
                      sigpic

Comment

Dont be a waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles, save that e28!
                        Originally posted by priapism
                        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                        Originally posted by shameson
                        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

what's with you broke ass people looking to buy salvage heaps of garbage and trading AK47's for junk?

really r3v?

what happened?
                          Originally posted by flyboyx
                          i have watched my dog lick himself off a few times

Comment

Fuckin pull out that frame rail and drive the shit out of it. I'd do that in a heartbeat.
                            1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
                            1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
                            1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
                            1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Burns View Post
                              what's with you broke ass people looking to buy salvage heaps of garbage and trading AK47's for junk?

really r3v?

what happened?
                              Why is this surprising to you..? Are you new?

Originally posted by TimKninja View Post
                              Fuckin pull out that frame rail and drive the shit out of it. I'd do that in a heartbeat.
                              Trust me. I thought about it.

If it's not that expensive to have straightened out.. Why not. If it is.. I'll dump the stroker in my e30 and maybe learn how to rebuild a g260. Idk if the synchros are really bad or the seller is just not used to the z4 shifter in it. That thing was notchy as fuck. I was told 2nd and 3rd would randomly pop out or sometimes he would need to double clutch. But it was fine when I drove it.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X