Is this 530it worth buying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this 530it worth buying?

This guy wants $2800 for his 540it 192k miles.
    Has a v8?

Bad:
    Faded paint on hood and roof with some clear coat damage
    no smog
    no reg
    rip in passenger side seat

Other wise everything works correctly according to him. Has H&R springs with Bilsteins. Has an M5 exhaust and an intake but it comes with all the OEM parts. Chrome style 37s, not sure if OEM or reps.

Any thoughts? I dont want to drive 4 hours if this is a bad idea.
    I drove 4 hours today for a car that looked really clean on Clist and turned out to be a turd. Plus my truck broke down so getting around is hard right now :(
    Last edited by deutschman; 07-30-2014, 07:01 PM.
    sigpic
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

badge and video says 530i and no smog. i'd hate to find out it won't smog because needs new cat, muffler, maybe 02 sensor, etc. It sure is clean though.
    sigpic

Comment

Then why the V8? Hmmmmm
      He swears it will pass smog but that really means nothing. Plus its not registered which means it could have hefty DMV fines or something.
      sigpic
      "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

530i and 540i are both v8's. the 530i is just the "economy" version. Smaller displacement.
        sigpic

Comment

Oh hahahahahaha I got two adds mixed up. My face is turning red. lol
          But seriously they look the same in the adds with the same wheels and everything.

EDIT: No I was right. Both the adds are by the same guy, and both have 530 badging but have pictures of V8 engines. More questions must be asked.
          sigpic

Comment

if he swears it'll pass smog than he should smog it since by california law he needs to smog before selling it.

Smog inspections are required when you register or renew registration for a vehicle in California, but there are some exceptions.

but let's be honest, nobody follows that law, right? however it does prevent you from spending another $200-500 for exhaust work and parts.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by glnr13 View Post
              530i and 540i are both v8's. the 530i is just the "economy" version. Smaller displacement.
              Really? I couldnt find that info when I read about the e34s on the internet.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by glnr13 View Post
                if he swears it'll pass smog than he should smog it since by california law he needs to smog before selling it.

Smog inspections are required when you register or renew registration for a vehicle in California, but there are some exceptions.

but let's be honest, nobody follows that law, right?
                Iv only had one guy smog the car for me and he was the best guy I have ever bought a car from. :)
                Im super embarrassed about not knowing more about these e34s. Im just learning about newer BMWs. Im stuck in the 60s-80s haha
                sigpic

Comment

530 is 3.0l v8, 540 is 4.0l v8, 535i 3.5l i6, 525 is 2.5l i6 in m20 and m50 form.

sigpic

Comment

Ok his second (older add) has more info. H&R Springs, Bilstein shocks, M5 exhaust.
                    sigpic

Comment

Im going to get the VIN to call DMV about the reg. He says its about $300 but its kind of a red flag that he hasnt registered it. He says its his second car and just never drove it.
                      sigpic

Comment

That's clean as hell. I'm not a Cali guy so I don't know about smog and all that jazz, but for $2800 that thing is beautiful. That's a $5K car with a manual swap.
                        1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                        1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

I just got the VIN to check out. Im thinking Ill grab it
                          sigpic

Comment

Always liked those cars.
                            If I had the $ I would buy it.

Comment

Great price but I would check to make sure it has an Alusil block...

The composition of the engine can be found by checking the serial number stamped into the engine block:
                              M60B30:
                              · 1 725 970 - Nikasil
                              · 1 741 212 - Nikasil
                              · 1 745 871 - Alusil
                              M60B40:
                              · 1 725 963 - Nikasil
                              · 1 742 998 - Nikasil
                              · 1 745 872 - Alusil
                              My 325iX DIY Threads:

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

325iX Rear Subframe Bushings and MUCH more w/pics!

325iX Steering Rack Replacement, Suspension, & Oil Pan job w/pics!

Comment

Working...
                              X