Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with '93 525it purchase

I'm going to see this 1993 525it this weekend, and I need some advice:

Low miles, looks decent in the photos, and the owner seems like he takes good care of it.

I have never owned an E34, but I've read through a bunch of FAQ's and it appears I need to check the seats, rear hatch, rear brake lights, sunroof and ~55mph shimmy. Are there any other problems common to these cars I should be sure to look for?

Also, what do you think about the price? Oh, and how hard would it be to swap a 5-speed in?

Thanks for your help.
    1976 2002 - "Augie"
    1976 2002 - "Ruby"
    1991 318i - "Ed"
    1995 525it - FOR SALE
    2001.5 S4 Avant 6MT - Family Hauler

All you need to do is sell me your roof racks once you buy it.
    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

haha, yeah, I'm pretty happy it's got those
      1976 2002 - "Augie"
      1976 2002 - "Ruby"
      1991 318i - "Ed"
      1995 525it - FOR SALE

Comment

decent price. Looks like the rear wiper is having the same issues mine used to have. If the hatch and glass open and all the lights work, the wiring harness is probably fine.

94k if taken care of the auto should be ok for a while yet. Mine let go at 180k, and then swapped to manual. Not hard if your a decent wrench. Everything is in place on the chassis to mount all of the hardware, you just need to get all the parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Clematis View Post
          I'm going to see this 1993 525it this weekend, and I need some advice:

Low miles, looks decent in the photos, and the owner seems like he takes good care of it.

I have never owned an E34, but I've read through a bunch of FAQ's and it appears I need to check the seats, rear hatch, rear brake lights, sunroof and ~55mph shimmy. Are there any other problems common to these cars I should be sure to look for?

Also, what do you think about the price? Oh, and how hard would it be to swap a 5-speed in?

Thanks for your help.
          Shimmy you just need some Moosehead Spherical CABs.

Rear hatch wiring, meh, it's probably fine. Mine at 199k the only function that doesn't work is the rear defrost. Can still open the hatch with the key if the electrical portion goes kaput.

Seats usually twist, east fix, well documented.

Sunroof, if it works, USE IT, otherwise it will cease to work. Eventually it will quit, but using it prolongs the life of it.

Price seems on point. I'd go for it.

5sp swap isn't hard at all, just buy a whole 5sp car and do it that way. Piecing shit together is a pain, and you'll be in the middle of the swap and not have that one critical part you need.
          1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

So I saw the car Saturday, and mechanically it's entirely sound. Drove great, no problems, great suspension. No rust is also a plus. The guy selling it has a small body/mechanic shop almost exclusively working on older BMW's. He showed me his projects, including an E30 pickup/el camino (not my thing, but he knows his stuff) and a killer E30 325, as well as a couple '02s. He just repaired the sunroof, which works fine now.

The driver seat had twist, but I can fix that easily. There were some electrical issues:

Side mirrors didn't work, rear passenger window regulator was bad, rear wiper problem, hatch problem. I offered 2750, he said he'd do all the electrical repairs before I take it for 3500, and I agreed.

So, basically it'll be problem free when I take possession in 2 weeks. Can't complain.

Thanks for the help.
            1976 2002 - "Augie"
            1976 2002 - "Ruby"
            1991 318i - "Ed"
            1995 525it - FOR SALE

Comment

Working...
            X