m62 in my e28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m62 in my e28

Ok I'm new here. Bout to take this on. I moved the sl450 out of the garage. Got my donor cars motor out (97 740il) and the car is in place. Here's my issues and thoughts... Number one the donor car interior is burned. Started under steering wheel. Engine and sci is fine even the computer blocks behing the glove are fine. But the driver side is toast. Two. I'm seriously considering converting to rack and pinion, mainly because I wanna use the factory manifolds and would rather deal with the headache of installing this than fabricating a manifold. I'm going to be using the 4.4 with the factory 5 speed automatic. I need the brake booster brackets from a 540, still.
    2006 745I
    1983 533I
    2012 vw jetta tdi
    1986 vw jetta
    1990 vw corrado g60
    1973 MB SL450

First of all, you are now locked in to doing this swap, you can't go back, because you already made your username.

There is a lot of V8 swap info in the "V8 swap" subforum.

Also, more and more people are starting to look at M60s with a growing lust, I think because they are a cheaper, lighter, and more powerful "S50 Swap" option, even though it takes a LOT more work.

Also, Don't do the auto. You can find a 5-speed out of an E34 530i, I know you can do it. The auto trans weighs more than your E30.

And also again, OBD1 converting an M62 can be a pita. Why not start w/ an M60B40? There are also a few members pioneering an "M60B44 OBD1" conversion, where you take an M60B40 and replace the block/rotating assembly w/ B44 stuff.

Comment

there isnt much power differnce from the b40 to b44. and u can do small modifications on the b40 that u can cannot do the b44 and gain more power.

i hold this thread build... im looking into helping a friends m60 swap his e28 and im very curious to see how other people have done it.
      1989 325i SETA stroker [delphin] R3V'd 8/31/2011
      1989 325ix [zinnoberrot] $OLD
      1970 2002 [Nevada]

Originally posted by Herr Faust Schinken
      guy must have slid into something that doesn't look like a car vs car hit
      Originally posted by ak-
      Must of slid into Rob

Comment

Originally posted by M20_fiend View Post
        there isnt much power differnce from the b40 to b44. and u can do small modifications on the b40 that u can cannot do the b44 and gain more power.

i hold this thread build... im looking into helping a friends m60 swap his e28 and im very curious to see how other people have done it.
        I hear the B44 makes more power even though the output numbers from BMW are the same.

However, a B40 with a B44 bottom end would make the most power, AND be OBD1.

Comment

Well I agree with you about the m60b40. The thing is, I was pondering this when a 740 just so happened to get dropped off... $500 later it was mine, I've done all the work to bus car before. Its was solid and babied. So I started doing tons of research and basically found that the manifolds and brake conversion will be the most thought provoking. The electrical I'm not worried about I have a laptop that will connect to the BMW system and I can manipulate everything... The harness and ecu and tcm were all stand-alone. With the exception of maybe 5 plugs that I'm sure when to instrument and ews. Idk lll cross that bridge after. But yes ideally I would have loved to had a old 540i donor, with the updated block
          2006 745I
          1983 533I
          2012 vw jetta tdi
          1986 vw jetta
          1990 vw corrado g60
          1973 MB SL450

Comment

Sounds like you have the resources, so do it! It would be cool to see an OBD1 M62B44 swap, they are definitely badass engines.

Comment

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
              Sounds like you have the resources, so do it! It would be cool to see an OBD1 M62B44 swap, they are definitely badass engines.

Agreed . in for a build thread :p

85 535i-Command relinquished to Dealin Dave
              71 2000 Touring -S52 power
              97 M3/4/5-Sacrificed for Touring
              88 325ic

Comment

Ive been Thinking about this for my M535i. :) DO IT!

Comment

I wanted to do this to my 533i, I say go for it.

Comment

we knead updates now.

Comment

Working...
                    X