Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Engine project for E28 528E

Hey guys,
    I have been thinking long and hard about what engine I want to swap into my E28eta. I have finally decided an would like everyone's feed back. I will be tking out the M20B27 an replacing it with a M44B19 from a E36 318ti.. Advice? opinions? thoughts?

why?

Comment

troll?
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
      My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

ROFL! This isnt serious is it?

Comment

Maybe the OP wants more luggage space up front?

Comment

For a better fuel economy. Just to do something a lil different for an everyday car. not looking for a street car yet.

Comment

I wouldn't replace a 6 with a 4. I mean...if the car didn't have an engine to start with, do it. But I wouldn't swap out the b27 for a b19, no way, no how.
              85' 318i ~The Bronze Bomber (FrankenM10 with a Forced Future :wgaf:)

Comment

Originally posted by E28boy View Post
                For a better fuel economy. Just to do something a lil different for an everyday car. not looking for a street car yet.
                Putting in an M44 or M42 won't increase your fuel economy. You will dump so much gas into that poor engine to try to make up the torque needed that the B27 had.

If you want fuel economy, buy an early 318i (35 mpg) or a VW rabbit diesel (50 mpg) or a civic (45 mpg)

Either that, or I can sell you my gutless M20B20 out of my E28 520i, that car gets 32 mpg no matter what you do with it.

You also may have better luck just reducing weight, lowering, and skinny hard rubber compound tires on your E28.

Comment

ayy ya yaii..

1987 528i Royalblau

Comment

Not to mention the M44 is (IMO) the worst little turd of an engine BMW ever made....I'd rather have a Nikisil V8 with 500k miles on it than an M44.
                    1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Your gonna have less power and probably about the same fuel economy with the m44 swap. A 4 cylinder doesn't suit the e28 well. It's gonna be super slow with bad low end torque so drivability will suffer a lot. I see no advantage to this.

If the goal is fuel economy and being different then a diesel swap comes to mind. Powerband suits the e28 well and is good for daily driving especially in city or traffic.
                      Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=252649

Comment

Originally posted by VinniE30 View Post

If the goal is fuel economy and being different then a diesel swap comes to mind. Powerband suits the e28 well and is good for daily driving especially in city or traffic.
                          I always fantasized about a Cummins swap, if the engine were dimensionally small enough to allow you to see out the windshield...

Comment

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
                            I always fantasized about a Cummins swap, if the engine were dimensionally small enough to allow you to see out the windshield...
                            By diesel what i meant was a small diesel engine. I believe BMW made some in the e30/e28 era for Europe only.
                            Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

Originally posted by VinniE30 View Post
                              By diesel what i meant was a small diesel engine. I believe BMW made some in the e30/e28 era for Europe only.
                              my fantasies have nothing to do with what you mean when you say "diesel swap".

Comment

Working...
                              X