Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you fix seat twist for "up and down"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you fix seat twist for "up and down"?

FUCK MY 5 SERIES

how the hell am I supposed to loosen this bolt??????????? the seat cant go all the way up on that side cause of stupid seat twist

its the passenger side seatbelt bolt

oh yeah and then the seat lever got stuck in the forward position and messed up the console. I almost give up

gotta use a socket, AND then the backing metal behind it is completely in the way. a wrench wont turn it, just strip it

how can I get the seat to go up on that side?

Comment

Remove the entire seat. Easier in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Ervin87 View Post
        Remove the entire seat. Easier in the end.
        This. It's way easier to do anything underneath the seats when they're removed
        - Josh
        1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
        Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

Seat was out of the car on the ground.

I am confused this way...

I know the motor drive sheathed cables to perform the various seat adjustments.

However, when watching the seat move up and down, I notice that that movement seems to not have a cable...? anybody shed any light on this

this seat will not go up at the same rate on both sides

Comment

2 sides to each motor. one side of your cables has stretched and is no longer in sync with the other side. pull the side that's messed up by heating the connector, shorten the plastic sheath by about 1", reassemble and try it. when i had an e34 i had to do it 3-4 times until i found the right balance.
            sigpic

Comment

Well I could not get the seatbelt unscrewed from the seat because the right side side of the seat would not go up.

so I pulled the cable and attempted to fix it with a drill... but there was one inch of metal cable sticking out of the sheath! I thought there should be less..?

anyways I resorted to pulling the b pillar tirm and pulling the seatbelt reel out with the seat.

plan now is to figure out exactly how the seat works. Possibly fix it or get a junkyard seat and swap leather over.

Comment

i removed the seat from it's mounting points but left it in the car and did the adjustment/repair fully tilted forward, no removal of the seat belt.
                sigpic

Comment

I wanted to leather treat it and saran wrap it in the sun, etc.

that didn't happen. lololol

Comment

So I got the motors out of the seat Thursday. What a bitch, took me an hour.

halfway through I figured out 16" of extension or so and you can you a 1/4" use a ratchet. wobble extensions are a must

gotta get new cables from junkyard then refresh it all...

lol and also the cables come out ten times easier when the motor is unbolted.. its weird

Comment

or you could have used a lighter and fixed em in the car in under 15 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Onizukachan View Post
                        or you could have used a lighter and fixed em in the car in under 15 minutes.
                        You'll maybe fix a headrest in 15 minutes but not the height adjustment cables. I suspect you've not done either. The motor is bear to get at and the gearboxs are way in back.
                        In the midst of this now myself, PO already tried and cut the sheaths too short.

OP is having trouble getting to the bolt to remove the seats so needs to move either the height or front/back gearboxes. The height motor is at the very front, and a bear to get out. If he gets it out the cables can be spun by hand, lifting the seat.
                        Also an 11mm 12pt box wrench will turn the torx head seat mounting bolts, maybe enough room for this.

Comment

Working...
                        X