E34 auto to manual conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by onizukachan View Post
    just another noob trying to instigate something, i see.

You see us as you want to see us… in the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions...
    Sincerely yours,
    the breakfast club.
    lmfao

Comment

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
      I didn't ask about the zf320 box.
      sell both boxes if both are known good, buy ZfSG320. profit; do it once do it right.

Originally posted by Onizukachan View Post
      pretty sure the DS for a 535 is a no go behind the NO OD m50 getrag for a couple of reasons.
      1: IIRC 535 used completely different couplers on both ends. not matching guibo = no go
      2: it definitely won't match up to the 3.23 or S3.23 (or possibly the 530/5 3.15) rear diff you will have to run.
      3: i have no idea if the shaft lengths on each section are exactly the same as the m50 variants.

If you don't buy a pedal box, you just need to mod the auto one for the ?over center spring mount? but the pedals will bolt up. the issue is getting the individual parts (new?) for LESS than it costs to buy a complete box with all the fixin's. ($35-$50)

I mean even the clutch switch & over center spring etc will cost you more than that.

ZF Sg320/310 and G260 for e34 and E30 g260 for m20b27 1986-1987 all use the 96mm standard Guibo. Same as all 6 speed bmw transmissions for I-6 engines.

I am not 100% positive but a E34 535i-5mt driveshaft should be pretty similar in length to a M20+G260 e34 525i-5mt.

I used a G260 e34 m20 525i driveshaft With S52+ZFsg320 in my e34 touring wagon build. the Manual transmission X member of E34 525i m20 was also used with the ZF SG320 5 speed.

G260 and G265 and ZFSG310/320 are very very very similar; the ZF is a tiny bit longer but the mounting angle for the transmission mounts are identical and can interchange transmission mounts.

My e30 used E46M transmission mounts with its stock m20b27 and G260-5mt
      OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
        Agreed 100% with all you said....except for a couple of things.

1, I do not care for the really buttery shifting feel of a ZF trans
        I think the G260 "feels" better than ZF Sg320 sometimes. sometimes not
        2, E34 manuals are not common at all here, and I do have 3 or 4 complete E30 pedal sets sitting around

Sell all 4 of them for money and buy a set of E34 ones to bolt in.

VALUE YOUR OWN TIME; respect the perfection of BMW engineers.
        3, I like to do it the difficult way. My way. I don't hack, I re-engineer...well done hackery, if you will. I really like the G260/Z3 1.9 shifter combo...but...

Because I did not know this little tidbit of info right here! Thanks.

Time to look for the right transmission. I was under the impression all E34 24V cars were ZF.
        the vanos cars all have G250; the driveshaft/trans mount/shift linkage is all different; as well as the CV @ the end of the driveshaft AND the imput flange for the differential.

its a TOTAL PITA; buy the entire thing complete.

How do I know I have the right one for sure? Will it say ZF or Getrag on the ID tag or something?

will look like "ZFSG10 or G250". google image search to verify

I have a driveshaft from an '89 535i manual. G260, correct? Any chance that will fit? I have several E30 driveshafts too.
        might work, but smarter to sell it off and buy the entire complete matching driveline from trans to diff from a 5 speed E34 car. May be the right length but then the diff flange will be different or if you are running a smaller guibo then the 535i has the big guibo; etc etc etc.

The long term plan is M54B30, bone stock, maybe even kept OBDII. Is that transmission likely OK behind that? This is a freeway brawler, not a racecar.
        even the Getrag G220 can handle 300+ RWhp if in the proper hands and a light car.
        Thanks, man, I think you may have saved me a ton of BS.

Luke
        OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

So g250 and zf310/320 share same application and use same driveshaft/crossmember?

Comment

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
            So g250 and zf310/320 share same application and use same driveshaft/crossmember?
            No, they're different.

***Stuff that has to match the trans type:
            (on m50s, 91-92= zf, or 93-95 = getrag)

Complete shifter assembly, guibo, full driveshaft, new DS nuts, complete exhaust hanger, transmission, trans mounts, trans x-member, slave, slave hardline, TO bearing, input shaft bearing, probably the reverse switch wire harness

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
              sell both boxes if both are known good, buy ZfSG320. profit; do it once do it right.
              Yes.

Comment

The long term plan is M54B30, bone stock, maybe even kept OBDII.
                Luke
                Get outta my head Luke!

Comment

Originally posted by TrentW View Post
                  Get outta my head Luke!
                  Maybe I am gonna invade Chicago, whatcha gonna do then?

Closing SOON!
                  "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Offer you some good beer of course.

Comment

Ryann, I don't have an M30 car.
                      Huh, I for some reason thought it was a 535. Duhrrrr.

Comment

luke, PM returned, hope the info helps.

Comment

i have a 1991 E34 525i with 5 speed transmission. I'm trying to sell the entire car. It still runs. Has a twisted seat, busted glovebox...a few other small issues. PM me if you're interested. alpine white with blue leather interior. 137k

Comment

Just an FYI for the doubters...

Comment

About to swap my '95 525 touring, have a '95 parts car to pull parts from, glad I found this thread as a resource!
                              IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Just in case anyone is interested, I'm putting my '95 Touring and '91 5 speed donor car on the market in the next few days. My wife decided she wants an E46 xiT now...
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X