Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help ASAP 85' 535i

Hi guys I need your help real quick on an issue with my e28
    The car runs great but recent had an issue with needle climbing when in idle or stop light but goes back to half point when running high speed I've done alo of research on this matter so I've changed the fan clutch and didn't solve the prob. Checked the auxiliary fan when turning on the ac and it turns on quick so fan and resistor shouldn't be the issue ac blows cold. Now today I went an bought the auxiliary fan switch to see if it solved the needle climbing issue I got the 82 degree switch which I read that it would help the low speed instead of the 91 degree sooooo I put the new one on and now my ac is not blowing cold just hot

Please help guys

Please anyone need my car for work and its 10:00 pm here :(

Comment

Your next step is probably a new radiator - sounds like you are not getting good air flow. At least look at getting yours cleaned / boiled out.

Comment

You still have the fan shroud on correct? Aux fan only works for the condensor, its to cool the charge that is in the condensor so that the freon can change state easier. It has no use for engine cooling.

A missing shroud will not direct the proper air flow from the wpump fan to the radiator.

Comment

Originally posted by John in VA View Post
          Your next step is probably a new radiator - sounds like you are not getting good air flow. At least look at getting yours cleaned / boiled out.
          radiator is good condition seemed replaced by previous owner with a behr.

Originally posted by Kozworth View Post
          You still have the fan shroud on correct? Aux fan only works for the condensor, its to cool the charge that is in the condensor so that the freon can change state easier. It has no use for engine cooling.

A missing shroud will not direct the proper air flow from the wpump fan to the radiator.
          it has the shroud in properly just a little bowed from heat but its there

thanks guys for your help

Comment

i changed the thermo sat and it seems it took care of the needle climbing issue not certain for sure until today when i drive in traffic but still no ac.

can it be that when taking off the auxiliary switch freon escaped or pressure to make the clutch turn?

Comment

Originally posted by DADIRTY30ES View Post
              i changed the thermo sat and it seems it took care of the needle climbing issue not certain for sure until today when i drive in traffic but still no ac.

can it be that when taking off the auxiliary switch freon escaped or pressure to make the clutch turn?
              You may simply have a air trapped in the system, did you bleed it properly?

Comment

Might want to investigate the waterpump if temps climb and then cool off at speed. I had this happen on my E34 535i. The pump blades were rusting away because previous owners used water instead of antifreeze. Buy an extra gasket and a waterpump(comes with a gasket). If the pump's still good reinstall it and return the extra pump. Worst case you'll have an extra gasket.

The AC issue, coincidence that it happened. Check the fuses? You need to check that the compressor clutch is engaging and throw a gauge on it to confirm charge/compressor is still good. They sell compressor seal repair kits but the issues surrounding the freon and evacuation will most likely require a shop to handle it.

Comment

Originally posted by BingM3 View Post
                  You may simply have a air trapped in the system, did you bleed it properly?
                  Yes sir, also took it to the shop so they check it

Comment

Originally posted by uturn View Post
                    Might want to investigate the waterpump if temps climb and then cool off at speed. I had this happen on my E34 535i. The pump blades were rusting away because previous owners used water instead of antifreeze. Buy an extra gasket and a waterpump(comes with a gasket). If the pump's still good reinstall it and return the extra pump. Worst case you'll have an extra gasket.

The AC issue, coincidence that it happened. Check the fuses? You need to check that the compressor clutch is engaging and throw a gauge on it to confirm charge/compressor is still good. They sell compressor seal repair kits but the issues surrounding the freon and evacuation will most likely require a shop to handle it.
                    Thanks bud, I have taken it to the shop so they can diagnose the car they stated that the car wasn't over heated even though the needle was climbing so I had an extra thermo I had bought and had them change it car has been running cool for now only time I seen it climb lately was when I was at drive thru for about 15min (assholes took forever ) and it was slightly going past half mark.

Previous owner took care of the car with all maintenance records from previous owner aswell he had the car for 8years and garaged kept for 6 years with no driving at all only around the block here an there. I'm the 4th owner of this beast :)

Comment

My E30 had this issue a while back, it turned out to be the temp sensor. Confirmed it wasn't overheating by shooting temps with an IR gun on the hoses and had that finicky sensor replaced.

I had issues with my fuel gage and it turned out that the gage lost connectivity with the PCB in the cluster. I applied the same fix to the temp gage as a preventative measure.

My current M30 motor runs with the temp needle a little above the 1/4 mark.

Comment

Check your idle control valve.

Comment

Working...
                        X