???Universal Struts???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

???Universal Struts???

Does anyone know how universal struts are from a 3 series to a 5 series?
    Have blown struts on my 1990 E34 and could get all new for nothing off a 2001 E46 from a mechanic friend of mine, but he's not sure if they will fit or not. I also have old struts from my 1990 E30 that are good, but those would be a second option if the E46 ones would work .
    I know it sounds like a stupid question, but since I could get them for nothing and its a whole set w/ Springs; thought I would try. I know on early models there's a lot of universal stuff between the different series engine wise (Not to familiar with the running gear), but in this much of a year difference I am just not sure.

Any Information would help I know both my rides inside and out, but I have never opened a hood or crawled under a BMW newer than a 1991, I Prefer Older ones !!! Also don't mind the signature quote I got bombed on for putting it on here but this is a BMW forum and I live in a town with nothing but Hondas not clowning on them just saying I prefer Euro instead of jap or even American for that topic!!! THIS IS A BMW FORUM

Thanks for the input!
    Last edited by 1990e30coupe; 10-16-2013, 12:05 AM. Reason: Forgot Something
    What BMW means to me: Breaks My Wallet

I have no clue about the e46 stuff im guessing they use a different upper strut bearing so it would be harder to adapt the e46 stuff, i have used e30 springs on the front of a e34 and recently installed e30 bilstein sport shocks in the front, i used a spacer under the e30 strut since its a little shorter than the e34 strut and bought the correct strut collar nuts for the e34. the nice thing is you can use e30 or e34 springs with the e30 or e34 upper spring bucket (depending on year) and the e30 upper strut bearing which was identical to the one in my 93

Comment

Interesting, can anyone second this info? I've been looking around for a way to lower the front of my 92 525 by about an inch, this might open up some more options
      ...what hasn’t been done to an m20 yet?

m20 Oil Stencil

Comment

The e46 struts won't work. In the front, they are clamped into the steering knuckle. There is no strut tube to fit in, unlike the e34. The rears don't have the spring mounted on the shock like the e34, so those definitely won't work.

Even if the e30 struts fit, that doesn't mean they are the correct dampening for and e34. They would likely be under-damped since an e30 is lighter than an e34.

Comment

e46 will not work. just get a set of OE stuff.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
          Ig:ryno_pzk
          I like the tuna here.
          Originally posted by lambo
          Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Man, you guys are negative, live a little, go outside the box once in a blue moon. Just because someone it's marketing something to you doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't be done. If e30 units fit, stiffer dampening for a 325 might be a decent street ratio for a 525... just have to look up the numbers to get an idea of what to expect
            ...what hasn’t been done to an m20 yet?

m20 Oil Stencil

Comment

Originally posted by LEANE30 View Post
              Man, you guys are negative, live a little, go outside the box once in a blue moon. Just because someone it's marketing something to you doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't be done. If e30 units fit, stiffer dampening for a 325 might be a decent street ratio for a 525... just have to look up the numbers to get an idea of what to expect
              lol dude, the manufacturers market what parts will work best for a car in stock form. Just because you are unique and "outside the box" doesnt mean you can ghetto fab up something that will work better. In most cases (for 80% of members here) it will take hours upon hours of work and will yield a less than acceptable result.

If the Op wants stock suspension (or something comparable) why would you waste time trying to make e46 chassis suspension parts work? To save money? in this situation maybe those were his initial intentions but its going to cost you in time and like I said before in the end hes still going to have to end up buying the right stuff to make it work properly.

Stay smart and stay safe Op.
              buy parts that are COMPATIBLE with your car.
              :up:

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
              Ig:ryno_pzk
              I like the tuna here.
              Originally posted by lambo
              Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

I had many e30 parts and time to experiment but you have to start with something, such as the e30 and e34 having a 51mm strut body and same diameter springs, a freind of mine just picked up a e46 and will be putting coils on it i will chime in once i have some free stuff to play around with but i would not go out and buy e46 stuff without having any clue if it works.

I have been running the e30 bilsteins for 2 months in my e34 and the ride is great since the e30 bilsteins are a little harsh the extra weight of the e34 almost gives you a better ride, i have recently installed a set of vogtlands and drop hats for my e34 touring and it doesnt bottom out on harsh bumps with the e30 bilsteins sports.

Comment

Working...
                X