Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E34 pre facelift electronics difference!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E34 pre facelift electronics difference!?

Hey R3v! I'm helping out my dad with an e34 that had terrible rust on the doors and fenders.

Back story on the car: We bought the car originally for really cheap because the car wasn't running and the owner didn't know why. Found out it was the belt snapping and valve smashing into a piston. The car was m20 equipped. It's a 1991 525i. We were then able to source some replacement doors including electronics from what I assume is a face lift e34 which had the wider kidney grille and hood.

So my question is.. would connecting the donor doors to the pre facelift car be like needing a 24v harness since the door jamb connectors are different? Or do i really have to figure out how to get the wires out and use the original rusty door's connector? I was thinking of gutting the electronics from the original door into and just dumping the electronics into the rust free donor door.. but things don't really line up electronics wise and mounting wise.
    sigpic

Just keep all the original electrical and run it in the new doors. Its not to bad really I swapped a passenger door on my e34 in about 1.5 hours

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
    Ig:ryno_pzk
    I like the tuna here.
    Originally posted by lambo
    Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Originally posted by Dj Buttchug View Post
      Just keep all the original electrical and run it in the new doors. Its not to bad really I swapped a passenger door on my e34 in about 1.5 hours
      I think I attempted that at one point but the electronics connectors weren't the same. Been driving the e34 sans door cards on driver side and rear passenger. lol 1/2 racekor

Did you swap out the lock too? Currently have two keys.. one for central locking with the donor car's driver door.. and the original key for ignition and trunk central locking.
      Last edited by jdirty; 11-13-2013, 09:52 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

interesting. Maybe take a picture of the two different plugs and post it up. On the e34 the cylinder lock removal along with the door handle mechanism is very easy to remove. All you do is slide the locking plate on the back of the handle. I swapped all my stuff over and it works great.

I have to tear into my drivers side door to swap the panel and change out the door handle gasket. I can post some pics to show you how its all removed if need be.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
        Ig:ryno_pzk
        I like the tuna here.
        Originally posted by lambo
        Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

interesting. Maybe take a picture of the two different plugs and post it up.
          I'll try to do that later.

I can post some pics to show you how its all removed if need be.
          That would be great if you can.
          sigpic

Comment

I wasn't really able to take photos.. but the connectors are the same.
            It's just that the pinouts are different. I need to find out which is which and attempt to re-pin it to maintain functionality like the mirrors and the central locking which is wonky.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X