E34 diffrential options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E34 diffrential options?

So I have a 92 535i (5 speed) and I'm looking to put in an LSD. I searched around the web for a while and all I could find was mis-information (big surprise there...) Anyway, I'll just put the questions I have below to make them as easily readable as possible.

What size differential casing fits in an e34? Medium, Large?

What gearing options are available for these differentials?

Are there any good aftermarket options that aren't a bajillion dollars?

Thanks in advance.

BMW made your car with an LSD option ; 535i winter package with ski pass through has the same ratio diff but LSD

just purchase one to bolt in from the same model car

All aftermarket options for LSD cost more than the average value of a E34 535i here in norcal.
    OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

read ALL of this.

you can use any 188mm e30 LSD. The internals will fit into an e34 pumpkin as both are the same. (except for m5) basically all medium case diffs. Auto and manual use different flanges for driveshafts.

You can also use e32 diffs but you have to swap everything. Sub frame. half shafts ect. (large case)

The easiest and cheapest way is to source an e34 lsd. The next option is to build one.

Im running a 2.93LSD in my e34.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
      Ig:ryno_pzk
      I like the tuna here.
      Originally posted by lambo
      Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Originally posted by Dj Buttchug View Post
        http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...g-need-to-know

read ALL of this.

you can use any 188mm e30 LSD. The internals will fit into an e34 pumpkin as both are the same. (except for m5) basically all medium case diffs. Auto and manual use different flanges for driveshafts.

You can also use e32 diffs but you have to swap everything. Sub frame. half shafts ect. (large case)

The easiest and cheapest way is to source an e34 lsd. The next option is to build one.

Im running a 2.93LSD in my e34.

Large case doesn't pnp into medium case cars.

The 210mm unit is physically longer than the 188;

even if the cv axles are the same standard the drive shaft would need to be adjusted to handle the longer nose of the 210mm unit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
        OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

^ true statement as well.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
          Ig:ryno_pzk
          I like the tuna here.
          Originally posted by lambo
          Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Then possibly using the driveshaft from the donor car?

sigpic

Comment

This chart seems to be pretty accurate (scroll down to #11):
              BMW E34 5 series, Tuning, repairs, troubleshooting.

I'd stick with a diff out of an E34. 6 cyl's and the 530i all use medium case diffs that will bolt right in. Yes, you can mix and match the internals of any medium case BMW diff, and put them into an E34 case, but unless you set up the gears correctly, you're asking for trouble (short life and/or whining diff).

These diffs should all have a metal tag on them, under one of the rear cover bolts, that has the ratio stamped in it- and it will start with an "S" if it's LSD. Search around some junkyards, especially pick n pull yards- you'll find something that will work.

Comment

Working...
              X