Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E34 m50 to M52, staying obd2...

(posted the same on bfc....)

First, I have searched and am very mechanically-inclined. When i'm ready to go on this, I need to get this swap done & running in 3-4 days and don't want any surpri$es.

Here's the deal, I have an 05/96 E34 520i(M50B20) Touring, i'll be picking up an M52B25 out of an E36 Compact w/ 87k km(55k mi) with everything: Harness, DME, EWS module/keys, Transmission etc. Like I mentioned already, in the interest of keeping the swap easy, tidy, DD'able, and keeping diagnostics somewhat easier, i'm staying OBD2(completely original at this stage, later the M50 mani/fuel rail/tune/cams).

-Both cars are EWS2, so the module & chips will be swapped into the E34.
    -Physically, i'm set as the e34 mounting arms/rubbers, E34 pan, oil pickup, dipstick(will be modded for the OBD2) will have the motor sitting in the car. The trans is G250(as is the existing 520i trans)so that will stay bolted on the motor and be dropped in with it.
    -I'll be researching the wiring on both of the x20 connectors, adapting it where I must.

So here're my issues(some may become obvious after having both motors in front of me....):

-I'll be using the E34 PS pump, I read somewhere that I have to use the M50 oil filter housing.....is that so?
    -Are the obd1 cast manifolds and OBD2 SS mani's interchangeable in that they'll bolt up to the E34 downpipes w/o modification? BTW, in Europe there was no Air Inj, so I have no ports to weld, or air system to deal with). Modding the OBD2's or the DP's are no prob, I have a flex/chop saw/welder.

There are a few other small things that I can't remember atm but i'm sure they'll pop-up later.
    -03/2005 E46 330D Touring 6spd(204hp/410nM) Sapphire Black/Naturbraun Sport...300k KM & 35mpg(mixed)

I have no idea about the oil filter housing but im almost 100% sure the SS OBDII manifolds will bolt right up to a Pre OBDII exhaust system

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
    Ig:ryno_pzk
    I like the tuna here.
    Originally posted by lambo
    Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Originally posted by Dj Buttchug View Post
      I have no idea about the oil filter housing but im almost 100% sure the SS OBDII manifolds will bolt right up to a Pre OBDII exhaust system
      Yeah, l came across a pic of them side-by-side and it appears that the obd2's will bolt right up.

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk
      -03/2005 E46 330D Touring 6spd(204hp/410nM) Sapphire Black/Naturbraun Sport...300k KM & 35mpg(mixed)

Comment

Yes, you will need to swap the oil filter housing and power steering pump along with your sump.

The obd2 exhaust manifolds will bolt up with no issues apart from the front manifold flange won't line up with the downpipe so you will need to get it altered.

There are only about a dozen changes needed to the x20 plug and loom to get it fully functional, most of the pin locations are identical on both looms.

Comment

Originally posted by spice boy View Post
          Yes, you will need to swap the oil filter housing and power steering pump along with your sump.

The obd2 exhaust manifolds will bolt up with no issues apart from the front manifold flange won't line up with the downpipe so you will need to get it altered.

There are only about a dozen changes needed to the x20 plug and loom to get it fully functional, most of the pin locations are identical on both looms.
          Spicy,

I've been driving the swap now for about a month or so....I only had to swap (3) wires iirc: the Red/Wht for the ABS, the VSS wire on the engine side to feed the e36 dme the signal, and the third escapes me atm.

I modded/shortened the cyl. 1-3 manifold to work with the factory exhaust. I also had to tweak the cat pipe so it lined up, there was no other way besides headers, but wa$n't an option at the time.

M50 Oil filter housing was removed and installed on the M52 after it was out. PS pump naturally went on w/o issue.

Staying OBD2, the small hose to the rad. resevoir was a hair short but it works. I had an extra box of hoses, so finding one for the heater core(not the one from the cyl.head->heater core, the other one) was no problem but it's something to keep in mind. TB thermostat was deleted, but the TB heater hoses were not. I'm running an M50 manifold, but NO vortex-CCV stuff, just a hose from the VC->TB.

Modded the shit out of the E36 harness to fit into the E34 covers, it took waterpump pliers and a multitude of zip-ties to get it all in. All 3 relays NOW sit in the box with the DME as well. The E36 harness is a good 10-12" longer than the E34, so it doublebacks inside the DME box....tight, but it works.

It looks factory to the untrained(read TÜV)eye, except for the fuel rail....left the obd2 unit on, as it's easier to test fuel pressure. Eventually i'll polish it up a bit. I removed the tabs for the beauty-cover AND o2 plugs, and ground them as smooth as I felt comfortable with, didn't want to go through the rail. The o2 harness's were run out of the back of the wiring cover to clean up the top of the motor.

Like I said b4, both the donor & mine are ews2, so it was plug-n-play. DME/key chips/module were all swapped. The module itself was swapped into the E34 casing as it had mounting tabs on it for under the dash that the e36 casing did not. Cranked over(after tapping the starter a few times, was sitting for 8mos)immediately on the first try, after about 20km, ran smooth as butter.

Fan clutch removed a few weeks later in Favor of a 16" Spal fan, and installed a low temp fan switch as well. Removed the resistor so it runs Hi-Speed on the 80/88c & AC regardless. Had a close call on a 38c(100f) day, factory fan switch was dead. She was almost in the red. So I hardwired the fan, eliminating the resistor, unplugged the AC compressor(never use it anyway), so the fan was under my control till the new switch came. Three stressful days later, all's good.

Eventually i'll take pics and make a thread......
          Last edited by MikeDE; 08-03-2014, 02:32 AM.

Comment

Nice!

Dumb question, where are you from? Interested in if yours is a left or right hand drive :-)

Mine is up and running, running sweet as a nut too!

Comment

I'm from NY, but i'm living in Germany. So, it's LHD.

I went to a 3.46 from the original 3.64...it's better but not good enough. I;d really like to do a 3.23 out of a 525i BUT the 520i has an E30 like rear subframe so the diff doesn't bolt in. I'm waiting for an e34 525i 'parts car' to come along so I can grab the trans/DS/rear diff & subframe.

Comment

Working...
              X