X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zepersian
    replied
    Originally posted by Vincenze View Post
    What is so special about the 1988 E30 320? Does it have a rare color and very few miles?

I believe US models were better equipped. The bumpers is a different story, of course.

If it just a 320 without i, then it has a carburetor, correct?

yes low mileage, and convertible. American BMW’s were mostly popular in the northern state where the weather is colder. They’re more susceptible to cold, Rust and the crap that comes with it.

Not to mention as you said euro spec cars look much nicer.

Leave a comment:

• Vincenze
    replied
    What is so special about the 1988 E30 320? Does it have a rare color and very few miles?

I believe US models were better equipped. The bumpers is a different story, of course.

If it just a 320 without i, then it has a carburetor, correct?

Leave a comment:

• roguetoaster
    replied
    Originally posted by arp View Post
    To my surprise, when I put the VIN for a 1988 320i Touring (Italian market; also no letter in the 10/11 position) into bimmer.work, it lists "BMW AG / Spartanburg, USA" as the manufacturer! I'm skeptical that's correct. I didn't get any results from the other VIN decoders.
    VIN decoders are mostly broken these days, clearly any E30 has no association with Spartanburg.

Originally posted by cory58 View Post
    Lengthy thread on importing located in the Touring section. If the answer is not in the thread, it might help to post your question there because many Touring owners have imported their cars.
    Basically none of that would be helpful to the Canadian OP unfortunately.

To the OP, in theory, the 11th digit of the VIN tells you, so:

A/F/K = Munich
    E/J/P = Regensburg
    N = Pretoria/Rosslyn ZA

Leave a comment:

• cory58
    replied
    Lengthy thread on importing located in the Touring section. If the answer is not in the thread, it might help to post your question there because many Touring owners have imported their cars.

Leave a comment:

• arp
    replied
    To my surprise, when I put the VIN for a 1988 320i Touring (Italian market; also no letter in the 10/11 position) into bimmer.work, it lists "BMW AG / Spartanburg, USA" as the manufacturer! I'm skeptical that's correct. I didn't get any results from the other VIN decoders.

Leave a comment:

• Zepersian
    started a topic Importing Euro Spec E30

Importing Euro Spec E30

Hi all,

Have any of you ever imported an E30 from Europe? The customs agency I am dealing with is requiring the manufacturing plant name and address.

Usually that information is listed in the VIN number with a letter in the 10 or 11th character. However, in Europe they are less stringent and so that information is not listed. It's an 1988 E30 320. All my research is leading to either the Munich or Regensburg plant in Germany. I tried to contact the BMW archive team but it seems they are moving and so no answer from them.

I've also tried to do a VIN decoder but the plant name/address is not displayed (I purchased a record too).

If any of you know for certain where the 1988 E30 320's where built I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Working...
X