Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dust shields rubbing into rotors following rack upgrade

Hi guys,

Recently finished installing a rebuilt Z3 rack (new Lemforder tie rods also) into my '91 airbag 318is. Yep, had to do the firewall mod with the engine in the car - fun fun. Anyway, I have an issue where the tie rods seem to be pushing into the dust shields causing squeaking, then going in and tapping them out again to create clearance. I'm going to be doing the brakes front and rear very soon.

Question is, is it advisable to simply remove the dust shields? Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks!

Leave the backing plates in place if at all possible. Are you sure you got E30 tie rods? Also, in any case, if you can simply tap the backing plates in slightly to make it clear you should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
      Leave the backing plates in place if at all possible. Are you sure you got E30 tie rods? Also, in any case, if you can simply tap the backing plates in slightly to make it clear you should be fine.
      I hammered them in quite a bit and seems to be working out. Definitely used E36 tie rod ends.

Comment

Keep dust shields. Probably rust blisters causing clearance issues if not damage from install.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
        @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Working...
        X