Cat back exhaust systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cat back exhaust systems

When I bought my cabriolet, it had (and still does have) an ANSA cat back muffler. I like the sound and the absence of droning. I got a Stromung and put it on my son's cabrio (same year as mine) and bought another one that I was going to put the same on my car but it seems too loud. I went to ECS Tuning and looked at the list of what is available. There is a Billy Boat stainless system for cabriolet only. "Quieter" BUT $1100+ Yikes.

The engine is stock but chipped. The car is basically stock.
    What are you using?
    Any recommendations?

Supersprint. No drone and quiet, even with no cat or resonator.

Comment

Everyone will make fun of this but here goes:

I cut off the rear muffler and replaced it with one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Floshine-Univ...dDbGljaz10cnVl

I really liked the sound of it. It is louder that stock, but not too loud.. I was able to modify the stock brackets so that I maintained all of the stock hangars. You have to get some adapters ( I used Autozone) to get the pipe diameters right and pay the muffler shop $60 to weld it all together.

No drone and everyone ( but my wife ) thought it sounded great.

YMMV.

Comment

My experience is that Billy Boat systems are louder/boomier than Stromung...maybe they did something different to the cabrio specific model?

A decade ago, I had a '89 325i with a similar "generic" chambered muffler as twright. It sounded great, did not drone and it had a really nice 6 cylinder rasp. A local muffler shop installed it by adapting it to the stock pipes.

Comment

No drone and everyone ( but my wife ) thought it sounded great.

YMMV.[/QUOTE]

...and therein lies the problem

Comment

Working...
          X