Oil pump Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil pump Question

Got a new oil pump from BMW for a 2.9 build and noticed the “ cover plate” intake hole is misaligned with the port leading to the pump gears. It seems older pumps the plate and the port openings are in direct alignment. RealOEM list two cover plates to two different pumps but all other part are not pump specific. I have both covers and wanted to know which maybe best before I close up pan.
    Last edited by PEZ2; 11-15-2022, 12:59 PM.

Do you mean on the pickup that hangs down in the oil pan?

That's not going to matter much, as long as there's a free path for oil flow.

Check the quality on that pump carefully- BMW doesn't typically make them, and their 'outsource'
    has historically been...

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Yes the submerged pickup. “New” pump the oil has to take two 90 degree turns to enter the gear area, old straight line.
      Last edited by PEZ2; 11-15-2022, 04:36 AM.

Comment

Thought a photo would help

Comment

It does!

And, no, I wouldn't worry about that. It's actually going to do a better job of not sucking up a rod bolt in the pan.

Beyond that, it'll be fine, as the whole thing's submerged.

t
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Interesting. I have a pile of m20 pumps, will have to take a gander.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Now that we are have this exciting conversation on oil pumps I have a second question. Has anyone resurfaced the oil pump cover ?

Comment

Yes, all the time.
                john@m20guru.com
                Links:
                Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Working...
                X