BMW torque spec lookup website

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • pt0x
    Noobie
    • Sep 2026
    • 6

    #1

    BMW torque spec lookup website

    Hi all

    I don't know if the general discussion forum is the right place for this but here we go.

    I have built an app for the community! All free, this is not an advertisement, yes im promoting it. But genuinely from the perspective of a fellow DIY BMW guy.

    I just got tired of digging through, random forum threads or ISTAs sluggish interface every time I needed a tightening torque, so I built a search tool for it:

    https://app.bmw-torque.net

    What it does:

    1. 31,000+ tightening specifications based on the newest BMW data.
    2. Just pick your model, engine, and search by component - "wheel bolt", "oil drain plug", "cylinder head" or any part of a component like “brake” which will than result in every record for your car with the word brake in it.
    3. Or you can use the browse function and lookup the spec per category and section, the same way ISTA organises it
    4. Advanced mode filters by thread size, torque range, angle-tightening and single-use bolts
    5. Works fine on a phones/tablets, as well as Mac and PC’s,
    6. Dark/light mode
    7. Imperial/Metric switching
    8. Propper contact form for feedback/bug reports
    9. 100's of synonyms added that are originally not found in the source data, things like guibo for "flex disk", trunk and boot lid for "luggage compartment lid". etc.
    10. Newest addition is the print option so you can prep and print out the values before you start working. And if you missed something, just pull out your phone.

    No account needed, no cookies, no tracking scripts!
    It’s free, and it stays free.


    And of course, the E30 is covered!

    Two things you should know before using it:
    • I can't always be certain a spec belongs to your exact car. BMW keeps that link in a part of its data that I can't open, so I worked it out myself and chose to show what is verifiable to make it reliable. When there are extra results that might still fit your car, the page says so and you can show them with one click.
    • Use it as a reference, not the final word. Check an official source before you tighten anything that matters - especially bolts that have to be replaced after removal, or ones tightened in a sequence (so many Nm, followed by so many degrees of rotation). Basically, If you need to torque a cylinder head, you can use the app, but always use official documentation to verify.
    This is a hobby project and i’m not affiliated with BMW AG.

    If you spot a wrong value, hit a bug, or want something added, use the contact button on bottom of the page.
    And if you spot something that is incorrect, I will correct it asap.

    Feel free to share it with your friends, this app is for everyone.
    Last edited by pt0x; 10-03-2026, 07:43 AM.
  • Panici
    Moderator
    • Dec 2009
    • 2549

    #2
    Pretty neat!
    Did you use AI to build it?

    Comment

    • pt0x
      Noobie
      • Sep 2026
      • 6

      #3
      I did!

      Finally had a good use case. I don't want to create slop, there is enough of that :)

      Nice car btw, whaah!

      Comment

      • Panici
        Moderator
        • Dec 2009
        • 2549

        #4
        Originally posted by pt0x
        I did!

        Finally had a good use case. I don't want to create slop, there is enough of that :)

        Nice car btw, whaah!
        Thanks!

        I see you mentioned:
        Use it as a reference, not the final word. Check an official source before you tighten anything that matters
        You and I both know that folks will take the easiest path and end up relying on your app.

        I am just curious if (and how) you verified the torque specs are valid?
        Last edited by Panici; 09-30-2026, 07:18 AM.

        Comment

        • pt0x
          Noobie
          • Sep 2026
          • 6

          #5
          I spend much time comparing results that I tediously pull from ISTA, this is an ongoing thing, as you can see on the website changelog I'm at version 1.6.18 currently. Of course this is not just correcting torque values, honestly I almost never have to.
          Torque spec data is actually very accurate, I made sure of that before I put the website public.

          Most "errors" are specs not being listed, or listed on overly wide model or engine ranges. Especially EV's and the Neue Klasse cars are kind of a pain in the ***
          If you want to know more about the internals, I have no problems talking about it, but I prefer to do that through PM.

          Comment

          • digger
            R3V OG
            • Nov 2005
            • 6188

            #6
            Doesn’t even seem to have the valve cover for m20 torque
            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

            new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

            Comment

            • pt0x
              Noobie
              • Sep 2026
              • 6

              #7
              Originally posted by digger
              Doesn’t even seem to have the valve cover for m20 torque
              Im currently working on it,

              I can tell you that even ISTA has no "Valve cover" for a E30 with M20 engine. but I notice some information that is missing for the this car.
              A patch will be out later today, I hope I can find where the valve cover is hidden as well.

              Can I ask you to use the contact form on the website if you find a bug next time? This helps me troubleshoot faster as it lands in my mailbox. For this issue, I had to browse the forum to even see there was a possible issue.

              Thanks! i'll update you when I have more info

              Comment

              • pt0x
                Noobie
                • Sep 2026
                • 6

                #8
                Hi, update from my side. There where some records not shown for the E30, and specifically for the M20 engine. They are now shown!

                Specifically the engine section was missing:
                11 12 Cylinder Head and Cover
                11 13 Oil Pan
                11 51 Water Pump and Drive

                Unfortunately this didn't expose the valve cover. Again, even ISTA doesn't show it for a E30 with M20.

                ISTA does show it for E30 with a M21 engine with multiple thread sizes starting from M6 to M8, the app does as well.

                Every BMW tightening torque, in one search. Based on BMW ISTA. Free, and no account.


                Because the app is following what ISTA includes as truth, I can't add these rows to the M20. As that would be "making up data" which defeats the case of having ISTA as a verification of truth.

                So that is what is there now. Not much more I can do. If BMW doesn't list it. I won't either. But I did manage to find other records that where missing. So all in all It's improved :)

                Comment

                Working...