No announcement yet.

Rear Gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Around 2500 rpm with a 3.25, 2250 with a 2.93. A G240 has an overdrive 5th.

Originally posted by whysimon
    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

At 65, if you were turning over 3500 before with a 3.73, you're looking at 3050 with the 3.25 and 2750 with the 2.93.

However your numbers do not seem in line with a stock tranny and 3.73 rear end.

Comment

Um, yeah, I should have used proportions rather than a gear calculator. Oops. :D

Originally posted by whysimon
        WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Right on, 2.93 sounds good. That second ebay link that I posted -- That bolts right up with that case correct?

Comment

Originally posted by threlevenguy View Post
            Right on, 2.93 sounds good. That second ebay link that I posted -- That bolts right up with that case correct?
            It should.

If I were you I'd take a gander at my rear end though (no homo), doesn't sound like you're running a 3.73. Sounds more like a 4.45.

Comment

2.93 would be good for highway cruising but your gonna loose some of the fun acceleration
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
              Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Hmm...I gota have some fun. The 2.93 isn't fun at all?

Comment

I have a 2.93 in my car it is still quick, but I wouldnt mind having a bit more gear back there. All I do now is highway driving, so it makes sense. I average ~32-33 mpg. The 3.25 would be easy to find and ideal for mixed driving.

Comment

What did the 3.25 come in?

Comment

Originally posted by rThor432 View Post
                      I have a 2.93 in my car it is still quick, but I wouldnt mind having a bit more gear back there. All I do now is highway driving, so it makes sense. I average ~32-33 mpg. The 3.25 would be easy to find and ideal for mixed driving.
                      Which engine and tranny are you running though? If you're running an E36 transmission a 2.93 would be fine, but with a G260 or G240 with a .81 5th gear it's going to be very tall.

I'm still not convinced the OP is running a 3.73.

Comment

Originally posted by Rigmaster View Post
                        3.25 is about the only commonly available diff that will bolt in (found in several different E28's). Most people say a 3.46 or 3.64 is ideal, but they're really hard to find in an E30 case.

No offense, but most of the stuff you're asking has been covered over and over and over again. Try a search, not just here but maybe bfc.com too....??

3.25 diffs are found in some E28's, specifically the ~82-84 533i, but IIRC it's also in some of the later 528e's- but not all.

And to answer another question someone posed about 3.64's being common in the early 318i's, yes- that's true, but those are small case diffs and we're dealing with medium case diffs here.

Comment

I got two of them from dogleg trans equipped 323i's. But those dont grow on trees. Like Rigmaster said..

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
                          Which engine and tranny are you running though? If you're running an E36 transmission a 2.93 would be fine, but with a G260 or G240 with a .81 5th gear it's going to be very tall.
                          I'm running the S52 with the G260. I turn around ~2k rpm @ 65.

Comment

Working...
                          X