Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those running Linksys WIFI 802.11G...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UGH!!

Well, my parents got a linksys G router and a card for me, so that I could have internet on my pc, now that i am in the house for a little while.

THE SIGNAL AND SPEED SUCK!!!

I have absolutely NO experience with wireless or shared anything! I have always been the only computer in any apt, I have had. So this networking crap is very very new to me.

How the heck can I get a stronger signal? The router is only like 50 to 75 feet away down and through 3 walls. (does that even matter?)

My speed is an almost constant 18 - 24 Mbps Speed registers as Very low.

When I set up the router, it had me write down all kinds of crap:
    Mode
    SSid
    Chanel
    Dv#
    WPA-PSK
    TKIP
    Pharaphrase

NONE of which was asked by win XP when I put the card in my computer. My compute wouldn't even recognize the installation CD that came with the card.

HELP...I am a layman, and a lost one at that.

Comment

winxp thinks for you. It recognized the network and connects to it as long as its unsecured. When Jordan goes down make him set it up as a secured network so neighbours cant pirate your signal.

To boost the signal youd need to install that cracked firmware, might be over your head. You need to move it closer in the meantime. Wifi, at least with those things, has a very limited distance.

You can get the high-gain antenna but its not THAT big of a change. Dont the get signal booster thingy, the lag is horrible.
      Im now E30less.
      sigpic

Comment

Does your PC have the USB adapter or PCI card?
        I had much better luck with the USB adapters as far as a signal goes..

Comment

I regret ever going Netgear for my wireless router and DSL modem. *sigh

To the person that asked about D-Link... unlikely as i believe they run their own OS on their devices (just like many other companies). Linksys is using a variant of Linux.

Comment

just wanted to say thanks Ryan, that program was an easy fix to my wireless coverage area problem. Now it works well out in the garage :)
            Chris
            90 Corrado/91 M3/01 M5

Comment

Helle yes, I sit out on the deck and do my HW while gettin some sun! 8)
              Im now E30less.
              sigpic

Comment

lol
                I was just thinking, "I wish i had a laptop" while watering the yard about 10 min ago. I would love to pull up in a cushy seat out in the sun. But crap, I wouldn't get a strong enough signal. And when i DID get a signal, it would last me 1.5 minutes before it would kick me off!!

Comment

Working...
                X