318is vs 325i What do you prefer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrSlacker View Post
    Thanks for the (mostly) helpful input. Looks like a chipped 318is is more of what I am looking for in this car.
    I think you came to a good conclusion... all the guys made valid points.

Here's my .02. I have a 91 318is, 90 325i, and 87 325.

My least favorite car is the eta... but that is my wife's daily, so it performs it's purpose in life quite well. Good mileage, low end torque... will still add a chip to it to give it a bit more power.

The m20 in the 325i was a nice even powerband engine that was (to me) VERY boring to drive. I used to take it to work instead of putting miles on my 318is. It's a nice commuter car (or was before the timing belt broke) but was not a "fun" car at all. This is the reason I neglected the timing belt so that this car would be my m50/s50 swap car.

The m42 in the 318is can get good power even NA. I used to run with or ahead of m20's, depending on their condition and mods. I dyno'd 136 rwhp with minor mods on a mustang dyno. I can list the mods if you are interested. The m20 dyno's in at around 145rwhp stock but weighs in at 200 - 300 lbs heavier due to sound insulation, motor weight, etc. That's where my car made up for the displacement and the handling on the 318is is worlds above. To be fair though, the 325i I have was sitting on a good stock suspension when I was driving around. I'm sure handing would feel better with an aftermarket suspension setup.

Now, for the kicker... I turbo'd the m42 and now, I am really in love. I'm pushing 10.5psi on stock internals and guessing (need a clutch to hold the power) I'm sitting around 210rwhp. This makes for a VERY fun car and there have been few cases where I've lost a short pull...

So there you have it... I'm sure some will disagree with me, but that's what the interwebs are for.
    "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
    -----------------------------------------
    91 318is Turbo Sold
    87 325 Daily driver Sold
    06 4.8is X5
    06 Mtec X3
    05 4.4i X5 Sold
    92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
    90 325i Sold
    97 328is Sold
    01 323ci Sold
    92 325i Sold
    83 528e Totaled
    98 328i Sold
    93 325i Sold

Comment

The M42 is a modern engine with low maintenance and a hp per liter ratio of 74.5hp per liter vs M20 @ 67.2 hp per liter. Also the 318is is 360lbs less than a 325i. As far as handling goes.......318 all the way.
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
      IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

I love the handling and the fun-to-drive factor of mine, and as a daily, it's not too gutless. Mine can stay even with a stock 325i, and it has a chip, injectors, intake, and exhaust and that's it. It'll be FI soon, though... :)

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

I think the other thing that adds to the M42 fun is the 4.11:1 or whatever it is rear end ratio. It flirts with being buzzy but as Peter Egan says "It's a car that you can drive fast but doesn't go fast by accident". That's the reason I finally sold my WRX. It was a WONDERFUL car but in the end you had to drive everywhere at 90mph. You'd think to yourself, why are all these people driving so slow? And then you'd realize that your flirting with 100 again. I have the same feeling with the 318is at an indicated 75 witch is actually 72 and not fast enough to get a ticket on the freeways unless your unlucky or not paying attention to the V1.

John

The Revolution will not be televised.

Comment

Originally posted by SpyHunter View Post
            Handling has nothing to do with power at all.
            Fixed

Comment

the 4 cyl. is almost 40hp weaker, and not that noticably different in weight.
              don't listen to the 4 cyl guys that wish they had the extra hp.

what is the "real" weight difference anyways???? 30lbs...

Comment

Originally posted by gearheadE30 View Post
                I love the handling and the fun-to-drive factor of mine, and as a daily, it's not too gutless. Mine can stay even with a stock 325i, and it has a chip, injectors, intake, and exhaust and that's it. It'll be FI soon, though... :)
                keep dreaming!!! what ragged out 300,000mile crapper eta with an i badge were you "racing"

Comment

Originally posted by mikeedler View Post

You wish.

Comment

I love how the only people dogging on the m20's are the guys with m42's only. How interesting.

"Its preparations are concealed, not published. Its mistakes are buried not headlined. Its dissenters are silenced, not praised. No expenditure is questioned, no rumor is printed, no secret is revealed."

John F. Kennedy

Comment

well i have a 89 325is and a 91 318is and i love driving the 318is more! I have nothing against the m20, i LOVE the engine but on the other hand i really like the way the 318 can be put around corners easy!

Comment

Originally posted by mikeedler View Post
                        the 4 cyl. is almost 40hp weaker, and not that noticably different in weight.
                        don't listen to the 4 cyl guys that wish they had the extra hp.

you're retarded.

Comment

Originally posted by HarryPotter View Post
                          I love how the only people dogging on the m20's are the guys with m42's only. How interesting.
                          i'm sure 95% of people that have commented have driven cars with both engines. i know i have, and the m42 is much more fun.

Comment

I've owned many E30's except for 318's. Started with a 325e and worked my way on up and never looked back. I think there are some valid points about the M42 318iS being fun to drive and some even call it the poor man's M3. 318's tend to be bare bones cars which is part of the reason why they were lightweight. The 325i may weigh more but they are typically loaded and have more power/torque. They are a great compromise between the daily driven street car and track car. The performance isn't that far off from a stock E30 M3 either. I think you really need to test drive both to get a feel for them and decide for yourself.
                            "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                            88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                            91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

The m42 is certainly a prettier engine.
                              Originally posted by LJ851
                              I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by tehwickerman View Post
                                you're retarded.

thats an extremely intelligent reply there!!

as far as I have seen all over the internet it is about a difference of roughly 60kg-- so about 150lbs. hardly enough difference to make up for that much of a power difference. and me being in Germany the 18is is probably heavier optioned than most 325's

as far as the handling-- gimme a break its the same damn chassis-- they both handle the same with the correct suspension pieces.

I love my M20-- yeah, my S14 is much cooler, but I have never ever had any liking for the M42-- it just feels like a 2.0 M20 just missing alot of power and fun.

Originally posted by tehwickerman View Post
                                m42 with ltw flywheel>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>m20. by a lot.

and you have the nerve to call names. are you really stupid enough to think a lightened flywheel actually makes your car perform any different/faster???????????

Comment

Working...
                                X