Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pressure washing question

I searched with no results.

I wanna wash my engine bay, and motor. what cant get wet ?? I wanna be able to leave the car wash.
    thxx.

Don't pressure wash. Low flow or steam only.

High pressure can blow water past seals and weak gaskets.
    You're entitled to your own opinions, not your own facts.

Comment

Everything is okay to wash except the alternator, try to keep as much water away from that as possible. Other than that go to town. Never a good idea to get too close to the engine with high pressure, stay 2-3 feet away.

>> 1988 3.1 ITB E30 /// 2002 E46 M3 6MT / 2008 335xi 6MT / 1991 S38B36 E30 (sold)

Comment

So plugs and ignition coil getting wet is no prob?

Comment

I have pressure washed the engine bay of every car I have ever owned, never had a single problem. Remove the air box and duct tape a plastic bag over the intake boot, I don't blast the alternator directly but never needed to cover it.
          sigpic

Comment

COP's + water = missfire! on a 24v atleast blow them off with air or dont get them wet at all
            "God created turbo lag to give V8's a chance" Taylor D.

Comment

fusebox

Comment

Thx i just didnt wet my alternator and i was fine, It looks great !

Comment

Everything worked out a hour and half at the carwash and i have a spotless engine bay!

Comment

I spray it down with low, low water pressure. The coat everything with Simple Green automotive degreaser. Then wipe down with an old microfiber hose with low water pressure. Dry everything with a leaf blower.
                    I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

Originally posted by markseven View Post
                      I spray it down with low, low water pressure. The coat everything with Simple Green automotive degreaser. Then wipe down with an old microfiber hose with low water pressure. Dry everything with a leaf blower.
                      I keep simple green, gloves and 20 terry clothes in my trunk , exactly what i did but minus the leaf blower. Im a clean freak

Comment

Ive pressure washed all my engine bays, never had a problem. I try to keep the fuse box dry but I dont obsess over it. No problems. Always starts. <shrug>
                        sigpic 1987 325is

Comment

If the cover on the MAF has ever been removed, water can get in and wreak havoc. Also getting water in the distributor cap will make the car not run, but the e30's is pretty well shielded. The alternator is fine getting wet, as long as you aren't spraying it down with the engine running. Fuse box like everyone said, probably wouldn't be the best to spray either, but as long as you don't hammer it with the sprayer, you should be fine.

Comment

Any danger spraying down a hot engine? This always freaked me out..also I have wondered about cleaning brakes while hot, I have ceramic pads....

Comment

i plan on washing my engine bay as well. I was told to cover up the air filter. alternator and fusebox as well?
                              Josh

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=159843

Comment

Working...
                              X