318is or 325is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

318is or 325is

I recently sold my 320i and I want to get another E30. I want an "is" because I like the Recaro Seat and M-Tech well...anyway, what are the pros and cons of the 318is and the 325is?
    E30 325i 1990 (Winter beater)
    E36 M3/4/5 1997 (Futur IP car?)
    BMW Club of Quebec

318is:
    25mpg with all kinds of driving while being driven like i stole it
    light front end
    more reliable i think
    no timing belts
    slightly slower straight line speed
    will last 300k

Comment

The M20 has power, power is good. The M42 has no balls.

There's a lot more M20 powered cars than M42, the M42 has been the forum kiddie/riceboy favorite for the last 2 years or so, so you're going to find a lot of them ratted out. It's a rev happy car that makes no power, so most get beat around and bounced off the limiter.

A well maintained M20b25 still makes great power with real nice midrange, a rebuild with a 2.7 or 2.8 stroker makes a real nice upgrade as well. With the M42, you're pretty much stuck. There's no aftermarket for the 4 banger save for a chip or so.

-Charlie
      Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
      '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
      FYYFF

Comment

325is. hands down.
        BEERTECH

Comment

If we're talking an unmodded daily driver, there's nothing wrong with the 318. However, should you decide to go autoxing or go for track usage, the 130 hp and 110 ft/lbs of torque will drive you nuts.

-Charlie
          '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
          FYYFF

Comment

M42 cars are piece of shit. They are fucking slow and boring. Of course the owners will reply to me and say "just carry more speed!" Well, carry more speed in an M20 you will still smoke those losers.

Buy a M20 car and have more fun unless you live in one of those shitball countries that tax the piss out of you for a motor with more than 2 litres.

Comment

Originally posted by trent
              M42 cars are piece of shit. They are fucking slow and boring. Of course the owners will reply to me and say "just carry more speed!" Well, carry more speed in an M20 you will still smoke those losers.

Buy a M20 car and have more fun unless you live in one of those shitball countries that tax the piss out of you for a motor with more than 2 litres.

I bombed Korea every night.

Comment

318is. i have over 300k on my car, and it still runs amazingl. I run it in every autocross and track day we get around here. I liek driving the 318, quite fun.

M42 POWER BITCHES! (where is my back up on this one)

Comment

Originally posted by f u z z
                  318is. i have over 300k on my car, and it still runs amazingl. I run it in every autocross and track day we get around here. I liek driving the 318, quite fun.

M42 POWER BITCHES! (where is my back up on this one)
                  He wasn't asking what car you have. He was asking which car is better. I think you need to fix your response. :)

Comment

some people will value power over handling gas mileage and reliablity and some wont. It jsut depends what you want

Comment

What's the BMW experience mean to me?? Inline 6. Period.

But if you want to be running the 4banger trying to get up to speed, sure.....follow these reasons: http://www.r3vlimited.com/phpBB2/vie...awt&t=6246

Comment

This thread is going to turn into a monumental shit fest, I can tell already.

A plague on this thread.

Comment

in the real world, on the street, the m20 cars are faster for 95% of drivers. Chances are you aren't in the 5%....
                          BEERTECH

Comment

Mario being one in the 5%?

If the handling and lightweight aspects of the 318is were such a concern, people ought to be snatching up early 318i's and modding them. But no one wants a low-hp slow car......

so M20s rock.

Comment

Originally posted by nickmp0wer
                              some people will value power over handling gas mileage and reliablity and some wont. It jsut depends what you want
                              Handling? Where's the significant advantage of the M42 car in that department? It has a little quicker turn in, the same which can be achieved by stiffer front springs and more camber in an m20 car.

Gas mileage? Who cares? If I were one of these queers that bitches about gas and fuel prices, I'd putter around in a civic DX.

Reliability? Where's the M42's advantage there? A timing belt change every 4-5 years in the M20 vs busted driveline parts on the m42 cars. Take your pick.

There's nothing wrong with the m42 cars, that being said, I'd find a nice m20 car at the top of my priority list.

-Charlie
                              FYYFF

Comment

Working...
                              X