VW to BMW... a step up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like josh said, apples and oranges.

But since BMW builds to a different standard, in a way it is a step up.

Then again, it depends a "step up" in what?

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
      Like josh said, apples and oranges.

But since BMW builds to a different standard, in a way it is a step up.

Then again, it depends a "step up" in what?
      I totally agree. I would say it could be considered a step up if you get a leather interior and lots of options. FWD to RWD could be a step up if it's something you've never have and now want it.

Comment

VW =Valuable Wallet.
        BMW = Busted Mutherf' Wallet.

I was pretty sturdy VW punter until a Buddy let me Autox his E30 M3....

I did occasionally get fed up with the front wheel scrabble and steering fight of a sporty front drive VW.

One can get pretty good at pedalling a Front drive VW, but once you step into a BMW you realize that you were missing certain aspects of car control and the overall driving experience..

The major one is using the throttle as a progressive calibration tool rather than an a simple on/off switch.

So for someone who gets off on the experience of operating a car and using its controls no matter the speed, etc, it is a step up.

m

Comment

Originally posted by Janderson View Post
          Come to autocross in my region. There is a team of MkI VW's out of Eugene, Oregon that will stomp the SHIT out of everything on the course, regardless of drivetrain configuration. These cars consistently put down faster lap times that anything that comes out to play, and they're FWD.

I LOVE RWD. But briveline configuration doesn't mean SHIT when you've got the skills these guys have.
          so what you are saying is there's a small percentage of drivers out there who are so good they can overcome a FWD car's inherent design/dynamic deficit.

if you then put them in the RWD car, they would do that much better than they did in the FWD. the conversation is cars and you're talking drivers.
          8380 Laboratories
          M3 Champs Poster

Comment

remember that VW started the 'hot hatch' generation
            and thats pretty epic..

Comment

This

Originally posted by 7pilot View Post
              The major one is using the throttle as a progressive calibration tool rather than an a simple on/off switch.
              and I like GTi's and some VW stuff, but the brand names tell it all.

Volkswagen = People's Car
              BMW = Bayern Motor Works

Unarguable facts.

Comment

driving experience

re: nascar driving experience

I drove at Texas Motor Speedway a few years back with Dale Jarrett Racing Experience, and it was defiantly worth the cash.

Comment

sweet

"Its preparations are concealed, not published. Its mistakes are buried not headlined. Its dissenters are silenced, not praised. No expenditure is questioned, no rumor is printed, no secret is revealed."

John F. Kennedy

Comment

Originally posted by consemated View Post
                    re: nascar driving experience

I drove at Texas Motor Speedway a few years back with Dale Jarrett Racing Experience, and it was defiantly worth the cash.

Comment

I used to daily VW's. MKII and MKIV. But i realized i wanted a trunk, sound insulation, and a car that would take me to work everyday instead of being in for repairs every other month. There is no comparison in the quality of parts of a BMW to a VW. There is a reason the cars costed twice as much new and it wasn't branding.
                      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                      My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

as long as you don't use the same mods you would on a vw, you're good. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Janderson View Post
                          You're wrong on both accounts. VW is the European equivalent to what Honda is in the US. I'm not trying to talk shit, it's the truth. They're meant to be the economical, lower-cost choice for a good all-around dependable car. BMW is a luxury/sports car brand. Trying to compare the two is just silly, because they aren't in the same market.

Yes, VW makes/has made a few luxury models (Phaeton, CC), but overall, they are a German Honda. Even the lowest, stripped down current/recent base-model BMW is still considered a luxury German car.
                          Vw here is not really accessible. They are always the most expensive of their class, along with Audi's and seats (Vw owned brands) and like BMW they are more expensive and do not come with half the equipment.

Guess that's what you pay for quality. So very often Golfs, A3's and 1 series hatches get compared for being in the same level and price range, and on with the other elements of the big german brands.(A4, 3 series, jettas, A6, 5 series, passats and on)

Atleast that's what happens here, vw has lost their car of the pepole pricing a long time ago.
                          Originally posted by kendogg
                          Don't know, but the E90 wasn't designed from the ground-up intending to be a racecar like the E30 was.
                          OG RACECAR

Comment

The new jetta starts at 15k here in EMARICA!

"Its preparations are concealed, not published. Its mistakes are buried not headlined. Its dissenters are silenced, not praised. No expenditure is questioned, no rumor is printed, no secret is revealed."

John F. Kennedy

Comment

I have a VW as a daily, and an e30 as a toy. The VW is way less reliable than the e30, and it's a 2002 jetta.
                              Yours truly,
                              Rich
                              sigpic
                              Originally posted by Rigmaster
                              you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

Originally posted by delatlanta1281 View Post
                                I have a VW as a daily, and an e30 as a toy. The VW is way less reliable than the e30, and it's a 2002 jetta.
                                I don't doubt that one bit. All my friends have mark 4's and they are pos.

John F. Kennedy

Comment

Working...
                                X