No announcement yet.

VW to BMW... a step up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After my e30 caught fire I had to replace it with whatever cheap cool euro was available and that happened to be a mk2 gti 8v. The vw feels much more nimble and under-steers less then my e30. It weighs much less and is more fun to toss around and power through turns with. Loved my e30 and will get another I'm sure. I feel way more confident entering turns in the gti even though the suspension is new and stock vs. my e30 suspension (bilsteins and vogtland). As far as ride quality BMW hands down and is obviously built way better with a real fuel injection system. Would hate to drive the gti on a long trip(revs 3300 at 65) but would drive a e30 to California no problem. Miss drifting and rwd feel though.
    97 tacoma 5 spd 4 cylinder
    2001 330ci 5 speed
    83 733i 5 speed, (FS)

Comment

Originally posted by mr.vang View Post
      is not the about reliability. gti=civic, e30=240 its just in euro not jdm..lol..
      Seriously? Well thank god this discussion isn't about reliability. I mean, when would the reliability argument need to come up when comparing old bmws to newer VWs....
      The only "creature comfort" I miss in my e30 is ac, but that is by choice, mainly b/c I have two other cars I can drive when it's hot. That being said, I drove the e30 to V@V this year and it was awesome. With the 4.10 it was revving high, but I wouldn't have traded that drive with any of my other cars. My car isn't too low, it isn't too slow, it isn't shredded inside, and everything is tight. the 6 hour drive was one of the best, most relaxing, and enjoyable treks I have ever been on. Sunroof open, windows down, rears popped @ 80mph in the summertime, there is no better feeling. If your e30 is dialed in for what you want from it, and it is solid, there should be no complaints. You won't pull off the visors when folding them down like in a vw.
      Last edited by delatlanta1281; 11-01-2010, 12:16 PM.
      Yours truly,
      Rich
      sigpic
      Originally posted by Rigmaster
      you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

Originally posted by delatlanta1281 View Post
        Seriously? Well thank god this discussion isn't about reliability. I mean, when would the reliability argument need to come up when comparing old bmws to newer VWs....
        The only "creature comfort" I miss in my e30 is ac, but that is by choice, mainly b/c I have two other cars I can drive when it's hot. That being said, I drove the e30 to V@V this year and it was awesome. With the 4.10 it was revving high, but I wouldn't have traded that drive with any of my other cars. My car isn't too low, it isn't too slow, it isn't shredded inside, and everything is tight. the 6 hour drive was one of the best, most relaxing, and enjoyable treks I have ever been on. Sunroof down, windows down, rears popped @ 80mph in the summertime, there is no better feeling. If your e30 is dialed in for what you want from it, and it is solid, there should be no complaints. You won't pull off the visors when folding them down like in a vw.
        This.

Comment

yeah delatlanta described it perfectly.

Comment

My a/c works so I can enjoy my e30 all year round.

"Its preparations are concealed, not published. Its mistakes are buried not headlined. Its dissenters are silenced, not praised. No expenditure is questioned, no rumor is printed, no secret is revealed."

John F. Kennedy

Comment

Originally posted by HarryPotter View Post
              My a/c works so I can enjoy my e30 all year round.
              Good for you man. My ac works as well, when I fill it every 6 years. Now the AC in my 4runner and my Jetta, they work 10 times better due to being modern cars manufactured after 2000. AC, unless completely gutted and upgraded, will not cool anywhere near as well in an 80s German car. It just won't. especially in the deep south, or Sacramento for that matter.
              Yours truly,
              Rich
              sigpic
              Originally posted by Rigmaster
              you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

Originally posted by Dude View Post
                VW = Fun to look at
                BMW = Fun to drive

but for real. I gave my friend with a dialed and stanced VW that he has 5 times as much time and money into it then my car, but one little sideways and some turns and he hated his car.
                lol
                Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by delatlanta1281 View Post
                  Good for you man. My ac works as well, when I fill it every 6 years. Now the AC in my 4runner and my Jetta, they work 10 times better due to being modern cars manufactured after 2000. AC, unless completely gutted and upgraded, will not cool anywhere near as well in an 80s German car. It just won't. especially in the deep south, or Sacramento for that matter.
                  C'maaaaaaaannnnn!!! Be a man, roll down them windows!
                  '87 325i "Chewey" (RIP, my beloved)
                  current:
                  '01 e46 325iT "Dot" - #datwagonlife
                  '87 e30 325i "Tui" - she has her mother's eyes

Comment

I really wouldn't mind a new cars sound dampening set up though. Granted I could do my car. But it's still not as good.

"Its preparations are concealed, not published. Its mistakes are buried not headlined. Its dissenters are silenced, not praised. No expenditure is questioned, no rumor is printed, no secret is revealed."

John F. Kennedy

Comment

It seems as if everyone in this thread is doin' it rite.

Also, I used to drive a '91 teal Eurovan GL (manual) for about a year until I got hit by a Volvo. Shit was legit for a fucking van.

Fun to drive until you hit 85 on the fwy and it starts crying.

Still, I'm a BMW guy and the E30 is my dream car.
                      ///Z

1988 BMW 325 Super Eta - Elsa

"i"CONVERSIONWARchip&3.0MAF3.73LSDBBSRSsSMILIES"is"SPOILER+LIPHOUNDSTOOTHSHORTSHIFTERPLASTICBUMPERCONVERSIONEtc.

Sell Me Your SCHWARZ FENDERS!

Originally posted by chadthestampede
                      ^ Nothing you post makes any sense.

Comment

I hate for my 1st post to be in a hate thread but I have to defend VW I have a VW as a toy and my E30 as my daily. My GTI is way more comfortable,and stable throwing into a corner then the E30. As far as relibilty goes its like any car its all in how the car is driven/maintained I have seen dubs last for ever and them not last and Im sure people can say the same for bmw. But you also cant compare the two one is economic/sporty and the other is luxury/sporty.

the toy(sleeps in the garage)

the daily(sleeps in the rain)

Comment

Dude, you got a nice VW. No denying that. Tastefully modded. But MB rims? That's a little out of place if you ask me.
                          '87 325i "Chewey" (RIP, my beloved)
                          current:
                          '01 e46 325iT "Dot" - #datwagonlife
                          '87 e30 325i "Tui" - she has her mother's eyes

Comment

Originally posted by BrooklynMW View Post
                            Dude, you got a nice VW. No denying that. Tastefully modded. But MB rims? That's a little out of place if you ask me.
                            Those are the winter wheels now. even tho it stays in the garage. But these are next. sorry crappy cell pics

Comment

Originally posted by e30e View Post
                              VW is German GM to me, cheap parts, a lot of interchangeability and shitty reliability.

BUTTTTTT going from a mkIII or newer down to an e30 is not a step up; I love the e30 but a more modern car regardless of make is not a step down from a e30 from a basic transportation stand point in the mind of most drivers.
                              I went from a mkiv beetle to an 89 325i. I though it was a step up. I gained 5spd manual (over the craptastic 4sp auto), more power (the vw did 0-60 in 12 or so), better handling, less interior rattles, no more peeling rubberized stuff, rwd, lighter weight, better gas mileage, cheaper insurance, easier to work on and I can find parts at PnP if necessary.

Pretty much the only think I lost was airbags, and an overall safer car, the e30 stops and turns better though so it gets points in the accident avoidance category.
                              1989 325i Alpineweiß II

Comment

Originally posted by dubnbmw View Post
                                I hate for my 1st post to be in a hate thread but I have to defend VW I have a VW as a toy and my E30 as my daily. My GTI is way more comfortable,and stable throwing into a corner then the E30. As far as relibilty goes its like any car its all in how the car is driven/maintained I have seen dubs last for ever and them not last and Im sure people can say the same for bmw. But you also cant compare the two one is economic/sporty and the other is luxury/sporty.

the toy(sleeps in the garage)

Beautiful MKIII, actually that's about when my likeness to VW's stop, sans MkV, IV GTI. But the E30 will still be the best teacher. It was never meant to be easy to drive, it was engineered with driver involvement. Like the AE86, the E30 is a car that teaches the driver.
                                1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                                You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Working...
                                X