What do we know about Jaguars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do we know about Jaguars?

My girlfriend's dad is interested in buying a Jaguar. I'm trying to help him do some research. I know absolutely dick squat about Jags, but I do know a thing or two about buying a 20+y.o. car.

So before I go join another forum, figured I'd ask my Bimmer-cyber-fam first.

Here's some info about the car he's interested in:

1988 XJ6, inline 6. From what i read, the 88-94's are the ugly stepchildren of the Jaguar family, as it was the redesign that lacked all the style. Personally, I like the look of the car.

65,000 miles, car appears to be very clean and rust free, with a nice interior. I know nothing about the mechanicals, although the dealer claims one owner.

The dealership is called Beverly Hills Motorcars right in Downtown San Diego. They specialize in classic and rare cars. Got some beautiful examples in there, including a Studebaker, DeLorean, Trans Am, Z3, Z4, Porsche 356, etc etc.

They are asking $9,995 for the Jag, which is in my opinion, about double what I would pay for the car.

Just wondering if it's worth my dad-in-law to haggle/test drive, etc.

Lemme know whatchoo know, thanks!
    '87 325i "Chewey" (RIP, my beloved)
    current:
    '01 e46 325iT "Dot" - #datwagonlife
    '87 e30 325i "Tui" - she has her mother's eyes

they are nice to look at and sit in, but dont plan on driving it. or have AAA cause you wont make it back home...
    Much wow
    I hate 4 doors

Comment

We know enough to avoid them like the plague, but if you do, buy a lot of this

I had a one owner 87 XJ40 Sovereign with 15K miles on the clock. It was more trouble than it was worth.

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
      RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

tell him to buy something else. Please.
        sigpic
        New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
        %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

They also like to leak oil. They like to blow head gaskets, they like to plug cats in California. The wood inside will inevitably peel, but for 65,000miles, I'm sure it's been well cared for, I suggest a PPI.

Comment

Do not, under any circumstance, buy an XJ40-series Jag.

Some Jags are awesome old things you keep in the garage and tinker with (as they break), but you put up with them 'cause they look and sound cool. Anything built after British Leyland took over is not included in that list.

Get him to look at a Mk2 or an original S-Type if he wants an old Jag.
            Pork Hunt Motorsport

eBay is like the summit racing catalog for today's special Olympics crowd

Comment

Originally posted by Iain View Post
              Get him to look at a Mk2 or an original S-Type if he wants an old Jag.
              +1

The best part about owning a collector/classic car is enjoying its era-specific beauty. There is absolutely nothing beautiful about the car you posted. Not even a face a mother could love.
              Chris

'83 320i - Crashed :(
              '71 Nova - (9.71 @ 172mph) - Sold
              '83 320i - Taking Offers
              '01 325i - Sold
              '07 Mazdaspeed6 - Sold
              '89 325iX - Rust Free, 2 Door, 5 Speed
              '06 M5 - Interlagos Blue SMG

Comment

If you're trying to get him to hate you, then definitely tell him to but the first jag he sees.

Comment

We have two EARLY '80s jaguars with the 4.2 I6.

Looks alot like this:

The car is a tank. I can stand on the hood (in socks) and it won't deflect.

I HIGHLY recommend you avoid the federalized versions like the plague. The german versions are missing all the crap that makes the US version suck, like 6" sealed beams, boatloads of emissions related equipment (electronic, vacuum and mechanical). Well, almost all, they still have that Lucas made rats nest.

If you do buy one, I suggest you find one in immaculate physical condition, and then strip the entire electrical system out (both the EFI and otherwise), and re-wire the entire car yourself. You will save years of headaches this way, assuming the car doesn't catch fire its way home from the seller.
                  Last edited by u3b3rg33k; 01-31-2011, 07:34 PM.

Ich gehöre nicht zur Baader-Meinhof Gruppe

Originally posted by Top Gear
                  Just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican.

Every time you buy a car with DSC/ESC, Jesus kills a baby seal. With a kitten.

Comment

Originally posted by u3b3rg33k View Post
                    We have two EARLY '80s jaguars with the 4.2 I6.

Looks alot like this:

The car is a tank. I can stand on the hood (in socks) and it won't deflect.

I HIGHLY recommend you avoid the federalized versions like the plague. The german versions are missing all the crap that makes the US version suck, like 6" sealed beams, boatloads of emissions related equipment (electronic, vacuum and mechanical). Well, almost all, they still have that Lucas made rats nest.

If you do buy one, I suggest you find one in immaculate physical condition, and then strip the entire electrical system out (both the EFI and otherwise), and re-wire the entire car yourself. You will save years of headaches this way, assuming the car doesn't catch fire its way home from the seller.
                    You mean the british version, right?
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

My boss had a later model S-Type 'R', and that thing rocked. Totally bullet-proof, and seriously quick. 390 horsepower. You can find low-mileage examples as low as $12-13k.
                      Originally posted by LJ851
                      kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
                      ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
                      #teamross
                      Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                        You mean the british version, right?
                        German models are LHD.

Ich gehöre nicht zur Baader-Meinhof Gruppe

Originally posted by Top Gear
                        Just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican.

Every time you buy a car with DSC/ESC, Jesus kills a baby seal. With a kitten.

Comment

My only experiece with Jags consists of watching my uncle's burn in our driveway when I was about 10 years old.
                          2007 Range Rover Sport S/C

Comment

I have heard unanimously and unequivocally to stay away from them. Hence me not having personal experience.

2001 Titaniumsilber 540i Sport 6-Speed
                            1990 Diamantschwarz Alpha-N 2.5L ///M3
                            1986 Alpinweiss 325e M50B25 (R.I.P.)

-Talk to me when more sound comes from the induction than from the exhaust...

-Argentina........lo mas grande que hay.

Comment

I hate them, though the older XJs aren't bad to look at. I often work on a 98 xj8 vanden plas, fuck that thing!

Comment

Working...
                              X