Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats that ONE most annoying rattle...

... and how did you fix it?

As I have been tuneless for several months in my e30 I have identified numerous rattles, clunks (not suspension cluncks, those dont count, Ive fixed most all), vibrations, etc.

I thought it a good idea to get everyone to list their most annoying rattle, click, clank or clunk they have found in their e30 that has made them spend hours ( or minutes, for you smart assed types), and post up how they fixed the said noise.

Origin or cause of noise, then, the solution.
    Got it?

Heres mine. The passenger seat belt buckle (when no passenger). I believe it hits against the side of the B pillar. I havent figured out how to fix it but I plan on trying to buckle it prior to next drive.

Ok... your turn. Go...
    sigpic 1987 325is

My interior passenger side chrome window trim, it's loose and rattles like a motherfucker. That is all for rattles though. My interior is pretty tight.

"Its preparations are concealed, not published. Its mistakes are buried not headlined. Its dissenters are silenced, not praised. No expenditure is questioned, no rumor is printed, no secret is revealed."

John F. Kennedy

Comment

in my 318 the sunroof has a certain harmonic from when I've removed all the interior pieces. It seriously rattles like a bitch around 2-3k. past that it's smooth. maybe it's this dreadful motor missing 2 cylinders. :P
      '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
      NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
      Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

The little cover in my glove box that hides the ECU. Rattles like a bitch, and vinyl seats on a cold morning.
        1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
        You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

omg so many ghosty creaks in my car I have no idea.

One in my drivers door. Sounds like my window linkage is knocking on the door.
          Everything is tight and in place.

A cricket like chirp all the time.
          Have no idea where it's coming from.

A low speed chirping/ticking on the outside of the car under 20mph.
          But only when accelerating. Sounds like everyone 1 wheel rotation it does it.

Dash over every bump.

Comment

My sunroof rattles when it is closed all the way ONLY. I usually just leave it vented so it does not rattle. Someday I will take off the headlined cover and see what it is.

The driveshaft was making noise...........new drive shaft and CSB.

The rear axles were noisy ...........I bought a good set of used ones and replaced the boots, cleaned out the old grease, inspected them, rebooted them with new EMPI boots from BLUNT, and repacked them with mobil-1 synthetic grease.

Less noise now, but with solid trans/motor and an M3 diff bushing, I can still hear the trans and rear end noise. That is just part of the deal I guess.
            seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Oh and my biggest rattle is the M10.
              1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
              You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

My Getrag 260 is one noisy piece

Rattles like crazy in neutral

Any fixes?

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk
                1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

I put the washer on incorrectly on my car's rear shocks. OMG was the rattling annoying.
                  Ma che cazzo state dicendo? :|

Comment

Shifter carrier rattles in 5th gear and the heat shield on the cat rattles at various speeds.
                    m106 1990 e30
                    e36 daily
                    e32 cruiser

Comment

Originally posted by b*saint View Post
                      I put the washer on incorrectly on my car's rear shocks. OMG was the rattling annoying.
                      did that to my ex's front shocks. it was solid, but it rattled like crazy over every bump.
                      AWD > RWD

Comment

gertrag rattle :(

Comment

My shift carrier or linkage rattles at high rpms and its annoying as fuck.

Also when I drive in reverse theres a clunking sound when the car starts moving, either somethings loose or probably the exhaust hitting something.

Both have not been fixed yet so we'll see

Comment

One right above the passenger side sunvisor, it's like 3 layers of sheet metal there including the roof skin. SUCKAGE.
                            Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
                              omg so many ghosty creaks in my car I have no idea.

One in my drivers door. Sounds like my window linkage is knocking on the door.
                              Everything is tight and in place.

A cricket like chirp all the time.
                              Have no idea where it's coming from.

A low speed chirping/ticking on the outside of the car under 20mph.
                              But only when accelerating. Sounds like everyone 1 wheel rotation it does it.

Dash over every bump.
                              chirping could be a belt, belt tensioner, brake pad wear sensor, poly subframe bushings...
                              http://instagram.com/dslovn.drives

Comment

Working...
                              X