Need the help of R3V - Amputee Driving a Clutch

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • chance
    replied
    A friend of mine works on and builds rally cars. Last time I was over there he had a e36 318i that a guy from Finland brought him. When I looked in I saw it was an auto, then I noticed the hand controls. The guy is a paraplegic. He's fast as shit too.

    I can't wait to see what you end up doing. Vest of luck with your parents. They sound lime the biggest hurdle, much worse than driving ever will be.

    Leave a comment:


  • 5Toes
    replied
    I agree its the best solution.. just have ti figure out how to do it

    Leave a comment:


  • nick475
    replied
    Also, if you were hurt and someone had to drive you, it wouldnt be any different than a normal manual

    Leave a comment:


  • nick475
    replied
    ^^agreed. I just read through this whole thread. And a small hand operated lever on the shifter seems like it would be the best. You would have total control over clutch position, you get your left leg to drive like its an automatic. Not a lot of confusion. And its probably the most legal.

    Leave a comment:


  • Exodus_2pt0
    replied
    Originally posted by gte175x
    /thread

    Leave a comment:


  • Vin-barrett
    replied
    I would suggest contacting Phil Hunt here in Jersey. He has been competitive in an all hand control ITB Volvo as well as the VW pictured here.

    Leave a comment:


  • Fusion
    replied
    Couldn't a linear remote actuator be mounted with the right speed (out fast, in slower)?
    Those things sell for around a hundred bucks.

    Leave a comment:


  • gte175x
    replied


    Last edited by gte175x; 08-07-2012, 11:25 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • 5Toes
    replied
    So thanks to a honda...

    I may have figured out a way to do this!!!

    Use a mechanical clutch! Like an integ

    Any thoughts?

    Nevermind.. this is near impossible.
    Last edited by 5Toes; 08-07-2012, 09:26 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • YosemiteSam
    replied
    If you want I could put you in touch with a guy who does this kind of a thing for a living. I have a friend who's good friends with him.

    Leave a comment:


  • Exodus_2pt0
    replied
    Originally posted by F34R
    Drive an auto, thread/
    That would be acceptable if there was a DSG box for the e30....

    Leave a comment:


  • F34R
    replied
    Originally posted by 5Toes
    How do my parents know what is best for me though?? Not trying to turn this that direction though

    This hydraulics conversation is very interesting. If anybody can prove a way to use a motorcycle m/c.. I am all ears
    Drive an auto, thread/

    Leave a comment:


  • Vtec?lol
    replied
    Maybe an electronic clutch!

    Leave a comment:


  • homegrone30
    replied
    I think you guys are overthinking this. And from what I understand no amputees like long car trips with there prosthetic on. What about a series of push pull levers on different pivot points to basically extend the pedal to the drivers leg? You could also set it up so there is a mechanical advantage to make a softer or harder pedal. Im thinking about the clutch side because my dad is a left leg amputee, but it could work just as easy for the driver.

    Leave a comment:


  • Vtec?lol
    replied
    If I had the resources I would love to test it all out.

    I wish I had an engineering degree.

    Now that I think of it, homeboy is right. Fabbing in a reducer would just make it harder. Sigh. I'm fairly positive the mc would move enough to disengage the clutch but it'll be hard.

    Leave a comment:

Working...