Need the help of R3V - Amputee Driving a Clutch

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 5Toes
    replied
    What about a motorcyle m/c and a small remote booster (like a small mini cooper brake booster?)

    like this - http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-SAMUR...#ht_545wt_1110

    Leave a comment:


  • camshaftgsxr
    replied
    Originally posted by 5Toes
    Yup I only killed it once my first time.. not too bad
    yeah better than me

    Leave a comment:


  • camshaftgsxr
    replied
    you could always have a lever beside the shifter that will lock in the disengaged position and operate the clutch. just lock it back, choose a gear and let it out all with one hand. yeah itll be slow but you could get faster at it and it solves the leverage problem.

    Leave a comment:


  • 5Toes
    replied
    ^ yeah that is the only problem... have to take both hands off the wheel. But if you shift fast enough, you only have a hand off the wheel for a split second.

    Mid corner on a race track this would be bad, but on the street, not so much

    Yup I only killed it once my first time.. not too bad

    Leave a comment:


  • OniKyan
    replied
    You're using a stick to press the clutch in while changing gears, presumably with the other hand ? So, does this mean you're taking both hands off the wheel to change gears? Sounds pretty dangerous.

    Leave a comment:


  • camshaftgsxr
    replied
    Originally posted by 5Toes
    I did relatively good with the stick. First time ever really driving a clutch (getting out of first gear that is). I had to think really hard about the shifting, but thats because it was all so alien to me.

    I can see it working fine in the future. The biggest problem was making sure the stick was on the pedal, but my ball joint idea will fix that.
    you sound like you did better than me the first time i drove a stick

    Leave a comment:


  • 5Toes
    replied
    I did relatively good with the stick. First time ever really driving a clutch (getting out of first gear that is). I had to think really hard about the shifting, but thats because it was all so alien to me.

    I can see it working fine in the future. The biggest problem was making sure the stick was on the pedal, but my ball joint idea will fix that.

    Leave a comment:


  • camshaftgsxr
    replied
    Originally posted by 5Toes
    I understand that, but others discussed hydraulic reducers, etc. just curious to hear what they have to say

    the amount of movement is directly proportional to the amount of force it takes to move the object. its liquid leverage.

    your best bet is to practice with a clutch car and see if you can learn to work it.

    Leave a comment:


  • 5Toes
    replied
    I understand that, but others discussed hydraulic reducers, etc. just curious to hear what they have to say

    Leave a comment:


  • camshaftgsxr
    replied
    Originally posted by 5Toes
    This hydraulics conversation is very interesting. If anybody can prove a way to use a motorcycle m/c.. I am all ears

    the motorcycle master cyl wont push enough fluid to disengage the clutch, sorry but it wont.

    and if it would the amount of movement is directly proportional to the amount of pressure you will have to apply. so if you had one that would move enough fluid it would either be hard as piss to squeeze or have to move a very long way.

    the only way to make it work is by having a master that is very short throw but have enough leverage to make it easy, hence forcing a long throw.

    thats why the clutch pedal move 10 inches and the master only move 1-2. and its still stiff to operate.

    that idea just wont work in practice. (or theory)

    Leave a comment:


  • 5Toes
    replied
    Fixed my phones autocorrect errors, lol

    Leave a comment:


  • Edev
    replied
    Originally posted by 5Toes
    How do my parents know what is beat dlr.me though??

    This hydraulics conversation is very interesting. If anybody can prove a way to use a motorcycle m/c.. I am all ears
    Sigh.

    Leave a comment:


  • 5Toes
    replied
    How do my parents know what is best for me though?? Not trying to turn this that direction though

    This hydraulics conversation is very interesting. If anybody can prove a way to use a motorcycle m/c.. I am all ears
    Last edited by 5Toes; 04-05-2012, 04:49 PM. Reason: phone cant spell

    Leave a comment:


  • freeride53
    replied
    Why so mad at parents? Your parents only want what's best for you, no matter how shitty it may sound. Hell, I'm legally an adult, own my own car, but my father didn't want me to bring the car down with me to college because he thought that it'd be a "distraction." As much as I disagreed with this, I accepted it because I respect my dad.

    It's definitely doable though.

    Leave a comment:


  • DaveSmed
    replied
    Originally posted by Vtec?lol
    which is why Motorcycle MC's are made the way they are since there is no free leverage..
    Clearly it's not as simple as it's written.
    Care to explain how motorcycle MCs are made that would make them work so well in this application?

    I'm all ears.

    EDIT: Here's some help, it looks like the 'busa MC is 14mm.
    Last edited by DaveSmed; 04-05-2012, 01:46 PM.

    Leave a comment:

Working...