No announcement yet.

I Need Some Words Of Wisdom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes I have, but it seems that it might be awkward to wrench on a coupple of the bolts

Comment

-Support the car with jackstands before you get under it. Always. Every time you put it on jackstands, do a shake test--try with most of your weight to shake it off the stands. A properly supported car will be sturdy as a rock (more so than when it's on the ground).

-Gloves are good, but you will likely get grime elsewhere as well. Have some orange pumice hand cleaner at the ready as that stuff is hell to get off without it. Wear old ratty clothes, they will get grease on them.

-Do NOT rush things, especially as a beginner. Take your time and do it right. I just had an axle pop out of my diff a few days ago because I did not properly tighten the bolts. Luckily for me it seems the only damage done was a flat spotted tire and my deflated BMW driver ego.

-If you are a complete newbie to working on cars, don't be dainty with that shit. I had to get used to being rough and using a lot of my strength on some things. Cars are pretty tough, they can take it.

-If you find yourself getting frustrated, take a step back and calm down--maybe drink a beer, then look at the problem again. I haven't fixed a single thing by getting pissed off and beating at something, you generally only lose your concentration and hurt yourself.

Comment

well i got the alternator in, no warning lights are on, no belt squeaks, runs smooth!! But considering I couldn't jack the car up I couldn't access the belt to put it back on so I had to pull the radiator out, no biggie though considering it took about 10 minutes to take it out and put it back in again =)

Comment

what?

haha, you need a bentley dude. you definitely don't have to jack up the car, remove the radiator, or do anything underneath to change the alt. There are two bolts, one holds the tensioner. you need to loosen the tensioner, turn the nut until the slack of the belt is enough to remove it, and then unbolt the alternator. Probably a 15 minute job. But at least you did it, the hard way.. :p
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

i have a bently, i got the alternator out, and the new one in just fine, it's just the belt was dangling, and i couldn't reach around the engine to put it back on the pulley's, so i just took the rad out to free up more room, it helped out quite a bit

Comment

Sorry to be off topic but does everyone here prefer the Bentley..? Is it any better than the Haynes? I use the Haynes Service Manual and would consider it fucking awesome.

Originally posted by Ryan...
              It now emits a beautiful blue-ish yellow/green smoke from the exhaust?? No idea what would cause that color, but I assume its good.

Comment

I have the Haynes, the Bentley, and a Chilton. The Haynes and Chilton stay on the shelf. The Bentley isn't perfect, but it's definitely the best of the 3.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Bentley

/story.

Thad.
                  Need BMW parts?
                  http://www.blunttech.com
                  or face ultimate peril.

Comment

Originally posted by Janderson View Post
                    I've started rounding them up as soon as I get to any kind of a stopping point. I am HORRIBLE about setting shit down in STUPID places and not being able to remember when I put it down, especially with tools.
                    any friends that have ever helped me work on something always comment on this, its become known as a 'disease' i have.....

Full Build Thread Here

Comment

Rebuild the calipers yourself. You'll save $60-80, and it's a 20min job for each. You need an air compressor to blast the pistons out though.
                      Originally posted by Gruelius
                      and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Originally posted by groundpilots View Post
                        But considering I couldn't jack the car up I couldn't access the belt to put it back on
                        Originally posted by nando View Post
                        what?

haha, you need a bentley dude. you definitely don't have to jack up the car, remove the radiator, or do anything underneath to change the alt.
                        This this.

Originally posted by groundpilots View Post
                        i have a bently, i got the alternator out, and the new one in just fine, it's just the belt was dangling, and i couldn't reach around the engine to put it back on the pulley's,
                        You don't need to jack the car up, nor remove the radiator to change the belt. I did it on my M42 car and it's pretty farking low, I just hopped on the ground when I needed to. Same story on the M20 car I have.

Glad you got it done, though! Props!

Comment

Working...
                        X