Crossover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crossover

There is an Audi UR Quattro close by and every time I go past I have to stop and look at it.

Although its AWD system is less superior to the 325ix it looks like an e30 m3 with its boxed fenderflares (hence what caught my attention) and I was trying to see what an e30 would look like with fender flares and a hatch back style trunk.

Here is one that has been on the net for a while. Essentially a 2 door touring or a 318ti hachback. I thought e30 tourings had ugly rear ends and this is more like it.

Here is a thread about that and other e30 tourings http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=911067

Here is my creation: Essentially an e30 m3, audi quattro and 325iX combined.
    Call it dumb but it would be fun, practical and looks great with the awd capabilities. And the original quattro had an I5 with turbo. Why not I6 and turbo this bad boy?

The ultimate subie/evo killer :up:
    318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
    '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
    Although its AWD system is less superior to the 325ix
    If I understand correctly, I disagree. Audi's Quattro walks all over BMW's AWD system, especially in the 80's & 90's cars. I always enjoy looking at UR Quattro cars, though, so thanks for sharing.
    Originally posted by Dozyproductions
    You know why you're drinking that Pabst? No its probably not because it was the first beer you grabbed. It's because you're a winner.

Comment

Originally posted by quikveedb2 View Post
      If I understand correctly, I disagree. Audi's Quattro walks all over BMW's AWD system, especially in the 80's & 90's cars. I always enjoy looking at UR Quattro cars, though, so thanks for sharing.

"The front wheel bias of the Quattro works to it's disadvantage -- the rear bias of the iX is superior in low friction surfaces. Road & Track ("Snow Test", Nov,'88) agreed, saying, "Front-drive cars do not like to accelerate on slick surfaces." The front-bias Quattro suffers somewhat from the same problem. R&T also says, "Our acceleration champ was the iX. The AWD BMW was a blink quicker than the Quattro to 20 mph, 4.9 sec vs. 5.1 sec." In the hill climb, R&T says, "Once again, the BMW AWD system proved superior to the Quattro arangement." In the lane change, R&T says, "And again, the 325iX was the best."

"I've raced an M3 in the SCCA World Challenge Series and currently drive a new M3 (in good weather only). Personally, I really like a neutral handling car. I dislike the understeer characteristics of front-wheel and most AWD cars. To this end, the iX is much more neutral and handles more like a BMW that one would normally expect of a AWD car. No doubt about it both the Quattro and the iX are incredible cars, but my choice is the iX for the above reasons. "
      That pretty much sums up why I said what I did
      318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
      '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Both cars have their merits. From a utilitarian standpoint, I'll take the locking diffs in the Quattro, we get tons of snow here as I'm sure you're aware. Also the ix is a fixed ratio split 33/67, whereas the UR is 50/50 static which can change up to 33/66 or 66/33. Also, from what I've seen Quattro can handle considerably more horsepower than the viscous coupling system BMW used.
        You know why you're drinking that Pabst? No its probably not because it was the first beer you grabbed. It's because you're a winner.

Comment

A guy here is building one.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
          1983 Peugeot 505 STI
          1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
          2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

das hawt

Originally posted by stewie30luvr
            ooo cause i was fixing my chain tensioner and there was a black widow on the radiator so i killed it
            Originally posted by JakeP
            with a coathanger

Comment

Both cars have their merits. From a utilitarian standpoint, I'll take the locking diffs in the Quattro, we get tons of snow here as I'm sure you're aware. Also the ix is a fixed ratio split 33/67, whereas the UR is 50/50 static which can change up to 33/66 or 66/33. Also, from what I've seen Quattro can handle considerably more horsepower than the viscous coupling system BMW used.
              from what i've read, and i'll admit i dont know too much about the ix as i just recently purchased both of mine, but i do think you are wrong...

that torque split is 37/63 and its only when both axles have the same amount of traction.

the ix has 3 viscous coupling locking differentials. each one can transfer up to 90% of the power to the other side. one behind the behind the transfer case, one in the front and one in the rear. viscous couplings are great because they are variable lock up, 10%-90% for example, which makes them far more useful than the set lock up of mechanical diffs (25% for standard e30 diffs iirc) however, they are not known for doing 500k miles easily like mechanical diffs.
              AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
                [/U]

Originally posted by jasonsnoddy View Post
                das hawt

Closing SOON!
                "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                  that torque split is 37/63 and its only when both axles have the same amount of traction.

the ix has 3 viscous coupling locking differentials. each one can transfer up to 90% of the power to the other side. one behind the behind the transfer case, one in the front and one in the rear. viscous couplings are great because they are variable lock up, 10%-90% for example, which makes them far more useful than the set lock up of mechanical diffs (25% for standard e30 diffs iirc) however, they are not known for doing 500k miles easily like mechanical diffs.
                  Thanks for correcting me on the power distribution I'm surely not trying to spread misinformation. As I said before both systems have their merit, we'll have to agree to disagree. Several years of experience with numerous Audi quattro cars has left me biased. Both my Audi's were unstoppable in anything less than apocalyptic (3 feet or more) snow.
                  I don't want to thread jack too much, so I'd be happy to move this to a thread devoted to a mechanical comparison of Audi & BMW AWD and their respective evoultions, so long as it didn't turn into a pissing contest, which it most likely would knowing r3v.

Comment

lol. AUDI = king of AWD, not bmw.
                    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

^ Thank you

Comment

Interesting, I've never seen one but I do like it alot and awd will come in very handy in the snow. Any idea about their price range?
                        sigpic(OO=[][]=OO)

Comment

so long as it didn't turn into a pissing contest, which it most likely would knowing r3v.
                          lol its r3v. you know what to expect.

i'd take an ur quattro over my 325ix anyway. but not because of the advantages or disadvantages of their respective AWD systems. i just think the ur quattro looks better and is more exclusive.

that said, i've never known R&T to be biased. THAT said, i know absolutely nothing about audis AWD system, not even the type of diffs it uses. but i do know i'd prefer a rear wheel based AWD than a front wheel based AWD.
                          AWD > RWD

Comment

Working...
                          X