Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proper running M20's appreciation thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd love for anyone in the central IL area to come take a look at mine and see what can be done to make it smoother. It idles at a rock steady 750 rpm, but just isn't as smooth as I think it should be. I've addressed really pretty much everything and then some.

Then again, my other car is a 2003 1.7L Civic so maybe I'm just too used to that. Every once in a while in that car I occasionally grind the starter because I forget that it is already running.

In comparison, my old Talon with the 2.3L stroker motor, removed balance shafts, HKS cams, and urethane engine mounts had a much more noticable idle. My M20 feels like a milder version of that car at idle.
    "I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm."
    -Franklin D. Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
      I appreciate mine. I just wish I'd made it bigger.. :p

Serious about our M20, are we?
      "If the sky were to fall tomorrow, the tall would die first."

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Do I LOOK like I need a psychological evaluation???

Comment

I love my perfect running m20!
        ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
        ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
        ~ '87 535
        ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
        ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

YAAAAAAY, i love my over heating just replaced fan clutch just changed the oil needed a SWEET new flat laying air filter and theres milllions of other things i haven't even began to do that need to be done!
          YAY FOR MAI MTWENTY.
          -_-
          in all seriousness i love the m20, but really it's like having a dad and having to pay for all his expenses because he's old and retired.
          ^
          no idea where i was going with that
          night r3v haha

Comment

My M20s have been great. No major issues and just purrs down the road. Even though I have a M50 waiting to be dropped into my coupe, i will prolly keep the M20 around to refresh and put into the cabrio.

COTM

Comment

Originally posted by funcrew View Post
              Yes, soooooo serious :p

The coils seem to throw people off. The LSx coils and wires cost less than 1 set of Bosch cap and rotor and stock E30 plug wires. Plus they wont ever go bad.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                Yes, soooooo serious :p

The coils seem to throw people off. The LSx coils and wires cost less than 1 set of Bosch cap and rotor and stock E30 plug wires. Plus they wont ever go bad.
                good stuff nando
                sigpic
                Originally posted by JinormusJ
                Don't buy an e30

They're stupid
                1989 325is Raged on then sold.
                1988 325 SETA 2DR Beaten to death, then parted.
                1988 325 SETA 4DR Parted.
                1990 325i Cabrio Daily'd, then stored 2 yrs ago.

Comment

My M20 has yet to fail me. Sure, the idle isn't the smoothest, but fuck it. It beats a car payment and well...it's a BMW lol
                  1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
                  2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
                  2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

Originally posted by funcrew View Post
                    Hey funcrew....another cool thing about that engine is the new aluminum block from world engines.... you might want to check them out. I picked one up didn't you ?:)
                    My CA legal M60 swap

The happening in our garage

Comment

me and my m20s relationship is like a serious girlfriend/wife. its pissed me off more times than i like to recall but i still love it for the good times
                      Tbolt Division

All I'm saying dude is that bird law in this country...it's not governed by reason.

Comment

For the most part the e30 crowd has made an engine swap part of a list of items to replace when getting an e30. Seems like they give up too easily on sourcing vacuum leaks and diagnosing bad components on the M20. When I bought my car it ran as if it was one backfire away from the junkyard. Now, it runs exceptionally well. I am working on creating my own dynamometer app. and wanted to compare mine to the one my dad has on his phone. I have never driven fast while he was in the car but I was testing a dynamometer app so I let it rip. All he had to say was "Holy crap! this thing is a 2.5!?!?!?"
                        One positive note about the lack of love for the M20 is that I can find spare engines for cheap if I ever needed one!

Comment

Working...
                        X