Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official 'Craigslist find' thread - awesome & awful (eBay, Kijiji, etc.)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
    I'd be on that in a heartbeat.

Originally posted by estoguy View Post
    That Bulgarian car... What in the name of holy f***??? And he should be paying for someone to have that monstrosity taken away.

That Maine CL car would be a decent one I think... I'd be all over it.
    that's what everyone is saying, except the people who live more than a 2 hour drive away (its my car, shameless plug in this thread). its been for sale since june - oil pan got wrecked by a teenager i let test drive it. surprisingly enough he was no longer interested in the car and texted his ride to pick him up where we were waiting for the tow truck. no offer to pay for the pan or the tow. shitty lesson for me, from now on, no test drives without having a "break it, buy it" agreement in writing.

if you want the car, i'll arrange shipping on your dime :laughing:

hell, anyone with the space could make money on it by parting it out.
    Originally posted by stevie30
    The e30 is the '57 Chevy of the European imports. Quote me on this.
    1986 325eS - cosmosblau, sold
    1990 325i - bronzit sedan, sold
    1984 318i - delphin coupe, sold
    1987 325iS - zinnoberrot, sold
    1988 325iS - zinnoberrot, sold
    1989 325iX - zinnoberrot sedan, current project/daily

Comment

the best money to be made would be to just unscrew the two motor mount bolts, lift the engine up a couple inches and slip a good used $100 pan back under the engine. i can understand that you may not have the tools, knowledge, or inclination to do so however.

this is what i would do to make the best out of a losing situation.

as to making people sign a contract saying they will pay or buy the car if is damaged....well....good luck with that one. 99% of buyers will tell you to kiss their ass and move on to the next car.

it really sucks you got screwed. i'm really sorry that this happened to you. i'd say fix it, sell it, then move on.

Originally posted by Aleman View Post

The Bulgarian seller should have listed it as 'Other Make/Model', rather than BMW 3 series, because what person in their right mind that's looking for a 3 would even entertain buying THIS car? What the hell would anyone even DO with a car like that? Show car? Movie car in a Tim Burton film? Drive it to Burning Man and blow all the tripping people's minds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      drive it to buring man and light the bitch on fire i would say.
      sigpic
      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by docleary View Post
        that's what everyone is saying, except the people who live more than a 2 hour drive away (its my car, shameless plug in this thread). its been for sale since june - oil pan got wrecked by a teenager i let test drive it. surprisingly enough he was no longer interested in the car and texted his ride to pick him up where we were waiting for the tow truck. no offer to pay for the pan or the tow. shitty lesson for me, from now on, no test drives without having a "break it, buy it" agreement in writing.

if you want the car, i'll arrange shipping on your dime :laughing:

hell, anyone with the space could make money on it by parting it out.
        Damn, that is always a big fear of mine.

I won't grant a test drive until the asking price for the car, in cash, is handed to me. This does a couple of things for me. First, if the car gets damaged in any way the sale is done, and the new owner can deal with whatever issue might have happened. Second, it lets me know that the buyer is serious, and that he has the full asking price on his person. So we will still talk back and forth and come up with a final selling price, but I know the buyer has the money.

* I really only employ this tactic when I am selling something like my last E30 or my M3. If i am selling the wife's regular Honda, or my dads boring Toyota I usually don't get quite so picky.
        My previous build (currently E30-less)
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
          the best money to be made would be to just unscrew the two motor mount bolts, lift the engine up a couple inches and slip a good used $100 pan back under the engine. i can understand that you may not have the tools, knowledge, or inclination to do so however.

this is what i would do to make the best out of a losing situation.
          i've got the knowledge/inclination to do so, don't have my tools or the money to buy another oil pan. my tools are still in NOLA. if i had them the car would be fixed and i would be driving it or selling for much more. instead, i'm just trying to get some money out of it to invest in my iX and get it off my property.

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
          Damn, that is always a big fear of mine.

I won't grant a test drive until the asking price for the car, in cash, is handed to me. This does a couple of things for me. First, if the car gets damaged in any way the sale is done, and the new owner can deal with whatever issue might have happened. Second, it lets me know that the buyer is serious, and that he has the full asking price on his person. So we will still talk back and forth and come up with a final selling price, but I know the buyer has the money.
          kid had the money, but wouldn't let me hold onto it so i accompanied him during the test drive. first time i've had a problem like this, just glad it happened with a relatively inexpensive car.

Comment

Trolling a bit:

Our exchange thus far:

ME: I saw this on an earlier posting you did for this weeks ago. 1900 is cheeky. Would you do 400? Rebuilt trans is about a grand for one of these.

DUDE: I can sell you a kids bicycle for $400.

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

M: It seems it would get one further down the road than this car for sale!

Besides, you seem to ask too much for junk. I'd give 20 for the bike. Sprocket is probably bad anyhow...

D: Contact me when you get a job.

M: Let me know when you get your next AOL disc in the mail.. been meaning to get my free trial month in. They still do dial up, right?
            ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
              Trolling a bit:

Our exchange thus far:

ME: I saw this on an earlier posting you did for this weeks ago. 1900 is cheeky. Would you do 400? Rebuilt trans is about a grand for one of these.

Besides, you seem to ask too much for junk. I'd give 20 for the bike. Sprocket is probably bad anyhow...

M: Let me know when you get your next AOL disc in the mail.. been meaning to get my free trial month in. They still do dial up, right?
              "well maintained" but he can't be assed to wash it or vacuum the interior before posting it on CL.

Comment

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
                Trolling a bit:

Our exchange thus far:

Why are you wasting the guy's time? And yours? $1900 is not a terrible starting/asking price for a running e28. Not great obviously... but nothing that smacks you in the face. He'd probably take a reasonable amount for it... but $400 is not a very "serious" opening offer.
                "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
                -----------------------------------------
                91 318is Turbo Sold
                87 325 Daily driver Sold
                06 4.8is X5
                06 Mtec X3
                05 4.4i X5 Sold
                92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
                90 325i Sold
                97 328is Sold
                01 323ci Sold
                92 325i Sold
                83 528e Totaled
                98 328i Sold
                93 325i Sold

Comment

You are right.

I'm trolling a bit. But if he said sure, 400... I would do it. This car has been up for a while. Oh, and the car is a POS. It is stored in that same spot for months at a porsche repair shop. And running? I mean, the trans is bad. If by runs you mean turns over...? Local junk yard would give nothing more than 250 for it......if you drove it in! That could well be the next destination... I would be glad to save it for cheap.

And wasting time? I got time. Like you got time to post that I am wasting mine.

Ill send you the AOL CD....
                  ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

recently, someone was selling a really nice silver/black 88 cabrio with a bad engine for 4k. i was interested for about 1500 bucks. i sent the guy a nice message stating as such and sent him 3 craigslist links of similar cars that were cheaper than i was offering. he didn't accept my offer, but at least he thanked me for taking the time to send a well thought out argument.

you just never know. it could work out. if i am seriously interested, i am polite about it. if the guy sounds like a douchebag selling a pile of shit for 100k, i will occasionally fuck with him just because that is the antagonistic butthole i can sometimes be. why not? i have to get cheap entertainment where i can get it.
                    sigpic
                    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                      recently, someone was selling a really nice silver/black 88 cabrio with a bad engine for 4k. i was interested for about 1500 bucks. i sent the guy a nice message stating as such and sent him 3 craigslist links of similar cars that were cheaper than i was offering. he didn't accept my offer, but at least he thanked me for taking the time to send a well thought out argument.

you just never know. it could work out. if i am seriously interested, i am polite about it. if the guy sounds like a douchebag selling a pile of shit for 100k, i will occasionally fuck with him just because that is the antagonistic butthole i can sometimes be. why not? i have to get cheap entertainment where i can get it.
                      I do the same thing.

I've actually made a couple of friends through emailing people about cars they are selling on craigslist.

You just never know.
                      My previous build (currently E30-less)
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

in for the AOL cd
                        1990 325is
                        m52b28
                        3.73lsd
                        g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

I don't see the entertainment value... but then again I've never liked trolls/trolling either, so maybe it's a generational thing.

I guess you guys get your jollies in different ways than I. NBD. As you were, you do you. Everyone has to find their own brand of entertainment I suppose. The onus is really on him for responding I suppose... so... yeah.

Edit: But I do think it was appropriately described as a running car... assuming it starts and idles without overheating or stalling. A running car is different from a driving car. Again, the appropriateness of the price is debatable, but it's not astronomical either.
                          "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
                          -----------------------------------------
                          91 318is Turbo Sold
                          87 325 Daily driver Sold
                          06 4.8is X5
                          06 Mtec X3
                          05 4.4i X5 Sold
                          92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
                          90 325i Sold
                          97 328is Sold
                          01 323ci Sold
                          92 325i Sold
                          83 528e Totaled
                          98 328i Sold
                          93 325i Sold

Comment

*large sigh* where to begin...

R135 /// 1990 Alpinweiß II 325is
                            └┼┼┘ /// 1993 Black/Black Convertible (sold)

Comment

my god that is fucking hideous

Comment

ir mah gird!!!
                                sigpic
                                Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X