325e speedometer in 325I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

325e speedometer in 325I

Thought i purchased a 325i cluster but instead i got an 325e cluster. All i need is the speedometer part. Will the 325e work properly in a 325i cluster? I have an 89 325I not sure what year the 325e cluster is. Or should i send this back through ebay and try agian. lol

Thanks

send it back
    AWD > RWD

Comment

Do you have both entire clusters? If so, take a look at the service indicator lights. As long as they have the same number of bars, they are compatible, regardless of year or whether it is a motometer/VDO. See here:

Comment

what nitro rustler is saying is that you can probably take the coding plug out of your old cluster and the tack part to put in the new cluster. then you can just head on down the road.
        sigpic
        Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
        92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
        88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
        88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
        87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
        12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

As long as they're both matching manufacturer (VDO and Motometer)
          You can take them apart, and use the 325e speedo in the 325i cluster.
          If the 325E cluster has the same amount of LED's in the middle, you could also take apart the 325i cluster, and replace everything BUT the speedo in the 325e one.

Fuel gauge, and tach need to stay your current ones. Not entirely sure on the temp gauge, but either would probably work fine.

Then sell the remaining parts

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

To go further...84-85 eta clusters don't use coding chips for the OBC/SI board just a plastic peg. The SI board also has 3 RED LED's instead of one. You don't want to use this cluster. Now 86-on ETA's used a chip and has the SI board that has 1 RED LED (like all E30's produced after 85). This speedo is the same as the one in your 325i. It has that extra hash mark above the top speed.
            "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
            88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
            91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

your 89 is a facelift car, if the 325e is a pre-facelift (84-87 i think or something like that) the cluster wont be ideal as the connections and various other things were changed

i own a 1987 325e and had to get a pre-facelift instrument cluster so the parts could be interchangebale
              sigpic

- 1987 325e m20 6cyl manual -

Comment

Just read post #3....

1992 BMW 325iC
                1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

for kicks i ran an 84 date eta cluster in my 89. all gauges worked except for the temp sensor, but i think it's likely a bad si board.

revs seemed to read more or less accurately too...to 5k.
                  1989 325is / 2.7, 274 cam, e30 M3 5-lug
                  1989 LN106 Hilux / 3.0TD SFA
                  1974 2002tii / stock
                  2002 IS300 / 5spd LSD

Comment

Thanks everybody, I contacted the guy he refunded my money. Took it apart after writing my first post and to odometer gears where toast so it was worthless to me now i have an extra cluster parts i dont need. I must have 3 temp, tachs, fuel, and boards. just no speedometer and odometer combo that works. lol

Comment

Post #3 is where it's at. Needing to be the same manufacturer is false information.

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
                      i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
                      Originally posted by slammin.e28
                      Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

Working...
                      X