Bringing euro 325i to the U.S.
Collapse
X
-
my advice is to ship the parts back much cheaper find a chean shell here get it painted and you will still save money. I know a guy who does vehicle importing and he said a guy spent 6k getting a 325 imported to usa. Plus they burn the non us parts so definitely ship all those separate. You know that you can not touch the car until it has been federalized here? So anything you want done do it now if not you will be paying labor for a specialist company to do it. Don't waste your time buying and fitting euro bumpers they will be burned. Just get a set of US bumpers shipped to you install them put standard h4 bulbs in and make sure you have the sidemarkers. Airbag wheel? Idk I would change the exhaust for a stock us one and emiission controls also. -
Does that mean you're selling an e46 over here in Germany? Let me know.Leave a comment:
-
Lokking forward to upcoming posts. Already looks like a pain in the ass. Beautiful car too.Leave a comment:
-
From someone that has went through this, the feds go by the build date on the car. Being 23 years old, you don't have to go through EPA which saves a ton of money. My 323i was around $4.5k IIRC and took only around 3-4 months
If you have the rear fog option just go ahead and replace it with a US switch to trick them at customs.Leave a comment:
-
curious as to how this is going to turn out!
Why don't you just get a title for an 87 car and weld in the plate. a bit of welding and paint is only going to cost about 400 euros. I know of a mini that was done that way and is now in SC.
or just store the car here for another 2 years?
BTW-- stay away from the BMW dealers up there in K-town, I know of 2 guys that worked with me in LUX. and had their cars converted there(an e34 535i and an E32 750iL)--- not valid for anything. they wasted thousands of dollars thereLeave a comment:
-
Bringing euro 325i to the U.S.
Looks like my time in Germany is coming to a close. And I've spent too much time and money on my 325 to abandon her when I leave. She's an 89 and will be 2 years short of the magic 25 year mark for importation. So, I have to do the sad thing and get her converted to US spec.
I'm already in contact with someone who's going to help me through the federalization process. And I know it's going to cost an arm and a leg to do this but so what. I think I love the e30 more than the e46. Maybe I'll put the supercharged m54 in the e30... hmmm... but that's a different thread.
Anyway, I just started this thread to document the process of federalizing a euro car to import to the states. Everyone here will be witness to the agonizing pain and frustration of this process (this is what I've heard anyway).
To start the process off, I've acquired some regular euro bumpers that I will be using to go through the process. I don't want my Mtech bumpers to be all cut up to put corner lights in. The Mtech's will be packed up with all my furniture. I'll also pack up the Mtech spoiler since that will get in the way of the 3rd brake light that will have to be installed.
And my euro smoked smiley's and fog lights will be packed up as well. They'll be replaced with the stock headlights and fog light delete panels. The car's gonna look weird with stock front and rear bumpers and Mtech sides... lol
I've heard the whole federalization process can take up to 5-6 months. I don't plan on shipping the car until March or April next year. But I'm starting the process now. I'll update this thread when ever something new comes up.
But for now I'll leave you with a picture from this past weekend (1 Oct). Sorry for the crappy iPhone pic...
Tags: None

Leave a comment: