Bringing euro 325i to the U.S.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • bigdaddy325ic
    replied
    Hello :))

    Hello my name is Gene and i'm new to this forum but I have send 3 BMW back to the states before . If you like I could tell you everything you could do to save you some money . I'm from TX but I lived in Mannheim Germany for 18 years off and on ... Right now I'm living in Pisa Italy working at camp darby ... DSN 633-7009 :)) I have a 1991 BMW 325ic U.S.Spec :)) :up:
    Originally posted by Dirtboy
    Looks like my time in Germany is coming to a close. And I've spent too much time and money on my 325 to abandon her when I leave. She's an 89 and will be 2 years short of the magic 25 year mark for importation. So, I have to do the sad thing and get her converted to US spec.

    I'm already in contact with someone who's going to help me through the federalization process. And I know it's going to cost an arm and a leg to do this but so what. I think I love the e30 more than the e46. Maybe I'll put the supercharged m54 in the e30... hmmm... but that's a different thread.

    Anyway, I just started this thread to document the process of federalizing a euro car to import to the states. Everyone here will be witness to the agonizing pain and frustration of this process (this is what I've heard anyway).

    To start the process off, I've acquired some regular euro bumpers that I will be using to go through the process. I don't want my Mtech bumpers to be all cut up to put corner lights in. The Mtech's will be packed up with all my furniture. I'll also pack up the Mtech spoiler since that will get in the way of the 3rd brake light that will have to be installed.

    And my euro smoked smiley's and fog lights will be packed up as well. They'll be replaced with the stock headlights and fog light delete panels. The car's gonna look weird with stock front and rear bumpers and Mtech sides... lol

    I've heard the whole federalization process can take up to 5-6 months. I don't plan on shipping the car until March or April next year. But I'm starting the process now. I'll update this thread when ever something new comes up.

    But for now I'll leave you with a picture from this past weekend (1 Oct). Sorry for the crappy iPhone pic...

    Leave a comment:


  • Dirtboy
    replied
    Plates are on. Gonna be driving this weekend!

    Leave a comment:


  • leegf
    replied
    so awesome. congratulations, OP.

    Leave a comment:


  • Dirtboy
    replied
    Originally posted by M-technik-3
    So how much was the importation tax and the federalization?
    DOT bond was about $400. The conversion, well.... about the same as the value of a low mileage mint condition 89 325i. lol.


    Right now, the car's back together like it was in Germany. Just waiting on plates so I can drive it.;)

    Leave a comment:


  • E30nub1
    replied
    lol 2 bags of quikcrete should solve that..:D

    Leave a comment:


  • M-technik-3
    replied
    So how much was the importation tax and the federalization?

    Leave a comment:


  • Dirtboy
    replied
    Still can't legally drive my e30; waiting for tags. But I have been working on it. Putting the Mtech2 stuff back on:

    Rear bumper and trunk lid:




    Front bumper, headlights and kidney grill:



    I also installed HIDs while I was putting the euro lights back in.

    And then I came upon this problem with my driveway, LOL:

    Leave a comment:


  • glucklich21
    replied
    Such utter BS that has to be done. I despise this country.

    Leave a comment:


  • Dirtboy
    replied
    Official: :-D



    Leave a comment:


  • M-technik-3
    replied
    Originally posted by xAZxE30x
    Very nice!! So after 25yr mark, is it essentially just paying for shipping?
    Plus Taxes aka Duty on anything bought aboard while out of country is subject to being taxed.

    Leave a comment:


  • Dirtboy
    replied
    Originally posted by xAZxE30x
    Very nice!! So after 25yr mark, is it essentially just paying for shipping?
    Everything I've read, yes. Plus whatever state tag, title, and tax...

    Leave a comment:


  • xAZxE30x
    replied
    Very nice!! So after 25yr mark, is it essentially just paying for shipping?

    Leave a comment:


  • xxx-Lost-Soul-xxx
    replied
    Great thread!

    Leave a comment:


  • Dirtboy
    replied
    Car's finally here! Just gotta clean it up and then start to put the euro parts back on. Then on to putting the stereo system and alarm back in. Still waiting for regular plates so I can drive it.

    Leave a comment:


  • Dirtboy
    replied
    Originally posted by freeride53
    lol updates
    Car has been released from the DOT, just waiting for the paperwork so I can get it on the truck to Vegas.

    Leave a comment:

Working...