Bringing euro 325i to the U.S.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dirtboy
    replied
    Originally posted by freeride53
    Awesome!
    LOL what if they cut holes into your m-tech and installed some weird diving boards and hideous side markers on the fresh paint.
    They won't do that cuz the m-tech bumpers are in my household goods shipment. I went to the junkyard and grabbed some euro bumpers and threw them on. They can cut all they want on those bumpers, LOL.

    Leave a comment:


  • freeride53
    replied
    Awesome!
    LOL what if they cut holes into your m-tech and installed some weird diving boards and hideous side markers on the fresh paint.

    Leave a comment:


  • mikeedler
    replied
    Originally posted by Dirtboy
    Car should be arriving in Baltimore around June 4th, getting picked up by JK Technologies... I miss my car:(

    must really love it!

    can't wait to see what they change on it. please keep us posted when you get it back in your hands.

    Leave a comment:


  • Julien
    replied
    Originally posted by tjts1
    The easiest way to import the car is sell it to someone local over there, have them 'travel' with it to the US, then resell it back to you once here. It bypasses the whole federal problem. Or just chop it in half and ship it as parts.
    They can only bring the car here for x months and have to leave a bond at customs

    Leave a comment:


  • Dirtboy
    replied
    Car should be arriving in Baltimore around June 4th, getting picked up by JK Technologies... I miss my car:(

    Leave a comment:


  • gbouton
    replied
    Originally posted by Court M3
    Which one in Baltimore? If it's JK Technologies, add another $3-4k to their estimate, because they always have some crap they add to the cost. They had a few complaints on them at the BBB for awhile. Used them and wouldn't recommend them. Really not customer friendly once they have your car.
    There is only one in Baltimore proper--JK Technologies. They're just down the street from my office and I've seen many interesting cars there over the years but have never dealt with them personally. The other Baltimore-area importer to consider if coming in from the Port of Baltimore is US SPEC in Aberdeen, MD which is about 50 miles north of the Port.

    -Graham

    Leave a comment:


  • James
    replied
    That sounds like an awful lot of work. Either store it or ship it to Canada, its over 15 yrs old and could easily be stored up here and would be a piece of cake to import.

    Leave a comment:


  • tjts1
    replied
    The easiest way to import the car is sell it to someone local over there, have them 'travel' with it to the US, then resell it back to you once here. It bypasses the whole federal problem. Or just chop it in half and ship it as parts.

    Leave a comment:


  • Court M3
    replied
    Which one in Baltimore? If it's JK Technologies, add another $3-4k to their estimate, because they always have some crap they add to the cost. They had a few complaints on them at the BBB for awhile. Used them and wouldn't recommend them. Really not customer friendly once they have your car.

    Leave a comment:


  • Eric
    replied
    Originally posted by mikeedler
    I could really find a garage around here for your car to sit in for a few years, maybe my neighbor would agree for the right price- they have a small 1car detached garage that I used to store my Vert in for the winters. Do what you feel you need to do, I PMed you before on the other option, bring the car here for a month, and I can have the thing old enough to ship too-- for about a 1000 or so.
    PM me if you want my number and we should really talk on the phone before this all starts.
    wish I knew about this option when I was leaving! I had a sweet e28 that i wanted to bring back :(

    Leave a comment:


  • mikeedler
    replied
    I could really find a garage around here for your car to sit in for a few years, maybe my neighbor would agree for the right price- they have a small 1car detached garage that I used to store my Vert in for the winters. Do what you feel you need to do, I PMed you before on the other option, bring the car here for a month, and I can have the thing old enough to ship too-- for about a 1000 or so.
    PM me if you want my number and we should really talk on the phone before this all starts.

    Leave a comment:


  • Eric
    replied
    Honestly, it seams like a waste of time/money when it's so close to being 25 years old. You know in the back of your head that the importing process is going to cost more than you were quoted, and how long is it going to take? 6 months? Or is a year more likely? So what is the difference between the car sitting in the RI's shop for a year, and the car sitting in somebody's barn being looked after?

    Remember, they have you buy the balls too. new lights cost $1,000... who's to argue with them? if they don't federalize the car, then it's off to the crusher, so you pay.

    I'd contact Jake over on S14.net and ask him about the hell he went through with bringing a E30 M3 SHELL into the country. Not a car, just a new from bmw shell. he's AF too, helicopter mechanic...

    Leave a comment:


  • M-technik-3
    replied
    As mentioned registered importer buys all materials and installs all so to be complaint with DOT rules.

    Leave a comment:


  • mikeedler
    replied
    start buying u.s. specific used parts now and install them (speedo and such)

    Leave a comment:


  • Dirtboy
    replied
    So I've been digging around and here's a small list of modifications that will need to be done to the car to be federalized:

    Remove and replace light assemblies- has to have "DOT" on lenses
    Install side marker lights
    install 3rd brake light
    Remove, modify and replace speedometer- has to be U.S. spec speedo
    Modify parking brake system- warning light has to say "brake" and not the symbol
    Install seat belt & key warning buzzer- self explanitory
    Modify door locks- not sure on that one
    Install engraved vehicle identification number (VIN) plate
    Install VIN location label
    Install certification label
    Install tire information label
    Perform etching on passenger side mirror- "objects in mirror...."
    Remove, document, and evaluate bumpers
    Perform engineering evaluations on bumper strength
    Modify and reinforce bumpers to comply with engineering
    Remove door panels
    Perform engineering evaluation on door impact strength
    Modify and reinforce doors to comply with engineering
    Install rollover valve- valve in gas tank filler tube
    Install seat belt micro-switch & warning buzzer
    Photograph all original & modified parts
    Document photographs to substantiate compliance
    Prepare vehicle and customs documents
    Purchase DOT warranty insurance (Required)
    Submit statement of conformity and compliance package to DOT in Washington (approximately 70 pictures)
    Pay DOT eligibility fee

    I really wish I had family over here that I could trust to leave the car with for 2 years. But I don't and I don't want the car to sit with someone I don't know for 2 years. I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and just do it. I've gone this far with the car and I'm not going to sell it...

    I found a registered importer in Baltimore that is authorized to do the work. It will take 4-6 months to do and cost about as much as the car is worth. The good thing is that the car is old enough that no EPA mods have to be done. Now I just have to get it shipped to Baltimore and then once the work is done I'll have to pick it up. But I have another 4-5 months before I have to start all this...

    Leave a comment:

Working...