No announcement yet.

How much has your e30 cost you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just broke $4000! Woohoo... 4k in 4 months.. chariots are expensive I guess.

Car: $2200
    Fluids: $204
    Gas: $206.3
    Licensing: $440
    Parts: $541.39
    Tools: $262.4
    Profit: -$50
    Paint: $211
    Grand Total: $4015.09

Comment

too much for how shitty it is

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
      Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

It would be interesting to see the difference in responses after 4 years; my guess is the average spend is a lot higher today given the increased value of the cars and the rising cost of parts.

As for how much I've spent on my current E30, let's just say I'm very glad I bought it 6 years ago - it was less than my girl's touring we bought and imported last year. ;D

I've done well on the three E30s I've sold so far, largely due to each of them having been well bought.
        Last edited by Shock(/\)ave; 03-31-2017, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Im into mine just over $30k I think. once I passed 20k I stopped counting but I manage a service shop/ salvage yard so a few things were "free" and of course I do 90% of the work. If I were to build it for a customer it would be $40k+ for parts and labor. (S54 swapped Mtech2 touring)

Comment

Yikes. Tough to say on my current project (e30 m3 cabriolet replica), but it's safe to say by the time its finished it's easily M3 coupe money.

The challenging part for me is, do you count "net" or "gross" spend? I parted out & sold my shell which helped fund the build. So if you count "dollars invested" as so many terrible craigslist ads like to brag about, it's several thousands more than the "net cost to my back account" would be measured at.
            '89 Schwarz E30 M3 Cabriolet Build

Comment

I don't want to know. I have all my receipts but I'm scared to add it all up.
              Current:
              1989 325i
              1988 M3
              1987 325ic
              Past:
              2001 330ci
              2001 M3

Comment

I'm over 10k right now, including a full color change, but a big chunk of that was ccw's and the ground control kit. This is me doing all work myself. It would be crazy high if I paid someone to do it all.

Edit. That's including the cost of the car. So pretty much 10k in parts
                Last edited by gart; 03-31-2017, 08:40 AM.
                89 325 cabrio in progress m52tub28 swap
                99 540it
                86 Volvo 240 wagon
                99 Cherokee
                13 Passat

Comment

Lol. This is something I've thought about many times. Really I don't want to know, but I do have every single receipt for every nut, bolt, hose, fluid.

Edit: my guess is at least over 15k but probably over 20k. Definitely helps to do EVERYTHING yourself. Probably would be 10k+ more if I paid to have it all done.
                  Last edited by Sh3rpak!ng; 03-31-2017, 11:21 AM.
                  '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                  Shadetree30

Comment

I've had it for 2 years, s50 swap, suspension, brakes, yada, yada...My spreadsheet says $15,200.
                    1989 325i S50 swapped
                    2007 4Runner Sport V8

Comment

Ugh this thread is depressing. Easily $15k at the moment and I just dropped it off for paint work....

Comment

On the silver 330is, I've spent somewhere between $30,000 and $40,000. I really don't want to know. Rebuilt S50, E30 M3 susp, GC/Koni kit, E30 M3 interior, killer stereo, BBS RS212 wheels, $12,000 respray, etc.........

The red car, probably around $20,000...ish. I stopped counting what I spent on that thing years ago.

The M-Tech cab, probably about $20,000 after the full respray is done (in progress as we speak), including all the little body grommets, seals, trim pieces, etc... Still has a stock motor :(
                        Last edited by e30austin; 03-31-2017, 12:56 PM.
                        '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Well, four thousand in the last month, probaby 7k or so tot now and it still looks like a shit box.

These cars look cheap on paper, but they get expensive quickly.
                          Hank Ahrens
                          1984 Alpine Coupe
                          1978 911sc

Comment

Beside gas, I spent $13 for oil and $5 for oil filter this past year.

Comment

I'm probably around $7000 all in, and I'd say my car + separate aftermarket parts are worth about $6000, but that's only because I overpaid for my car by about $1000.

The DIY labor is what you never recover.
                              1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

Ok so there are a few people here that are $20k plus into theres. Is there any market for "restored" E30s? I have a couple of late model coupe shells laying around and 5-6 nearly complete parts cars. Would someone pay $20-30K for a all ready done complete car? The would include some modifications (engine swaps, interiors, wheels, susp, etc) Im budgeting 20K on my next coupe and I plan on a Mtech2 late model with a fully rebuilt S52, color swap, coilovers, etc. Like I said a few posts up im into mine 30+ but it has a completely rebuilt S54 and touring so that alone is a few $k more. I know the resd M54 coupe went for $30kish but is that a realistic number for more then just a small handful of people?

Comment

Working...
                                X