My Grandmother's Facebook Picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Grandmother's Facebook Picture

My Grandmother discovered the iPad this Christmas and to the families' surprise she loved it. Well she recieved a "late" Christmas gift the other day; she is already on the book and posting status updates looking for Superbowl Parties to crash.

I took her for a ride in my car and later felt compelled to write something about it because the experience was special to the both of us. If you muscle through the short story, you might hug some one.

Notes for the story:
    -Jiddoo = Grandfather in Lebanese
    -Nana loves the e30
    -My flame suit is on for the car (though it's going through more changes now)... I'm aware "moar" low (it actually looks higher in the picture than it really is), my rims aren't BBS...and they have some paint on them lol.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________

After the car show today, I stopped by Nana and Jiddoo's house to show them my car. I was particularly excited because Nana is German and very proud of her heritage; and even though she would love anything I showed her, I felt she would be really excited about this one. As always they were very happy to see me and offered me dinner right after greeting me. Consequently, my father was also at the house when I arrived - he was installing the HD cable box for the new television their kids bought them for their 60th anniversary. After a short time Nana and Jiddoo made their way to the window to check out the car. They both liked it and talked about it for a few minutes but then the room's attention was focused back on the cable box installation. In the midst of my father talking on the phone to the Comcast helpline and Jiddoo sitting on the couch assisting him, Nana came over to me and asked if I would be staying for a bit. I said I would hang out for some time and she asked, would it be enough time to take me for a ride? Of course it would! We have been talking about her going for a ride, but I wasn't sure if she was up for it, so I was glad she asked.

Her first comments were typical Nana comments, lots of "ooos", some "aahhs", lots of "wows", and of course the confident confirmation from her that my car was in fact the best car at the show - the car show with 300 other BMW's. She sat down and quickly yelled "ouch", then she started to laugh. I realized she wasn't hurt she was just surprised by the contours of the sport seat and the low stance of the car. I asked her if she wanted her seat belt and she hesitated with an answer, as to question whether she wanted it or not, but then broke into a lecture about how I should always wear my seat belt as I pulled it slack for her to buckle.

We started driving and she continued with the praise and even asked about things in the car, such as what was the panel of lights on the headliner and how did it do on gas. I explained to her how the panel would light up to tell me if something was wrong with my car; she provided an accurate example of a scenario for when the panel would light up so I knew she understood what I was explaining. Then I told her how this was a standard feature in 1986 on the German engineered BMW's and many cars don't even have this feature today. I pointed at the gauge below my tachometer. I said, Nana do you see this dial moving along the these numbers here? She leaned over and said yes, I said this gauge tells me how much gas I am using at all times when I am driving the car - it tells me my average miles per gallon, and this car is actually good on gas. Oh? she answered with inquisitive tone - as if "what's the point?". Then I said, well Nana remember this car was made in 1986, the Germans have been aware of gas consumption and its importance for a long time and it shows with this gauge right here. Oh woooow, She said, and as I continued to drive I could tell she was having a hard time hiding how proud she was of her heritage. She was sitting relaxed in the seat - something rare when you drive Nana around and I don't know if she even knew it, but she was grinning from ear to ear. She started talking about the great quality of German engineering and poor quality of most other cars. We conversed for a bit and settled with the determination that most cars are good, but this car she is in right now was built great and is now even better - thanks Nana. Then she asked me how many miles were on the car. I told her - 247,000 miles. She was shocked! Her jaw literally dropped, she gasped, you've got to be kidding!, but it's so nice? Then talking to herself she validated "well it was built by German engineers". At this point, I am grinning ear to ear and laughing to myself because Nana is really loving that this car is German made and it is clear that you better not cross anything German made at this point in time. So I took this opportunity to tell her how her son Bill tells me he won't work on German cars. She's immediately disgusted and says she is going to call him to tell him how nice German cars are and she requests that I drive over his house to show him my car in its current state. Sorry Uncle Bill.

At this moment I pull into the driveway and we get out. She gets out of the car unassisted we shut the door and begin to walk back. I still have my camera in my pocket from the car show and I ask her if she wants to take a picture with the car. Now, if you know Nana at all, you know she claims she doesn't like her picture taken, then she usually gets out a pocket mirror, checks herself out and says, ok let's take a picture. But this time was different. She said, sure and then she said how about I do a pose like this, leans on the car a bit, and oh, maybe even do this - she pops her collar. I said nice Nana, pop that collar and I snapped a picture.

We know a picture says a thousand words, but I think the real words behind this picture are more important. It was a great experience and a common one that I feel everyone, not just me, shares with Nana. I felt like time slowed down for those few minutes. I felt I could feel what Nana was thinking - and even if I wasn't right, I know she was sincerely happy to be spending time with me. She was completely consumed by the marvels of German engineering in my 1986 BMW with 247,000 miles on it, proud of her heritage, happy to be out and most obvious proud of me. I could feel she was without a doubt carefree for that short amount of time. Of all the times I have popped in on Nana or Jiddoo and they tell me I made their day, and I'm sure I have, as they would tell anyone that visits them, this time it felt like I really did and I have a picture to always remind me of that.
    Attached Files

i didn't read the story but nice rimz.

Originally posted by yert315
    Your mother is plug n play

Comment

Cute Story. I love my Grandma.
      E30 buildy things
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=195286

Comment

i love it. nana rocks. kinda choked up a little too. :-D
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
        ---------------------------------
        89 E30 S52
        ---------------------------------
        Transaction Feedback.

Comment

Man I should go see my grandparents.

Good story, car is alright too.

Comment

:up:

Originally posted by whysimon
            WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

haha that's so legit, reminds me of something my grandma would say except she's from Kenya.

My parents hate me working on my car and during my motor swap she would encourage me and wish me blessings. She's visiting from the mother land but the day I got it started she gave me $20 from her limited emergency money to go put gas in it, no butts. Wish I could give her a ride but my car is dumped and she has a really bad back :(
              Bronzit 4-door Swap Drifting somewhere
              Cammed B25 Swap Daily Driver
              Updated 10/1

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
              Maybe 300 CANADIAN HP, thats like 225 US HP.

Comment

Man I've got to make some calls...
                My 1991 318is Progression Thread

Comment

That was really nice Op
                  Originally posted by InuFaye
                  silver is old man color car. you need dat BRO-SECA BLUE.
                  Originally posted by blunttech
                  so true.. never let them know where you live..I almost ended up in jail when I was raping young women on craigslist
                  Originally posted by george graves
                  An S5x is like the girl you want to marry - an m30 is the girl you don't bring home to mom.

Comment

Thanks for sharing OP! My grandma will be visiting I hope this year and i hope i can show her my sweet 86 ride too LOL grandmas and good times very heartwarming.
                    SO MUCH MORE TO DO!!
                    IG: ohthejosh

LEGIT CHECK ME BRUH
                    BUYER FEEDBACK THREAD

Comment

Originally posted by howdyhoayman View Post
                      i didn't read the story but nice rimz.
                      Ditto.

Lower it.

Comment

cool story.

My grandmother thought my 82 Malibu was a brand new car in 93- and loved how it chirped the tires shifting into 2nd gear every shift. I did used to cringe when she would push the door open with her shoes though. I miss her. (it was an automatic with about 400hp)

Comment

Nice story. I drove my grandma to church once in the e30 :D

Comment

Cute story.

I store my E30 at my grandparents house during the winter, and last summer when I had my s38 car (red, low, loud) she was genuinely surprised I could afford a Ferrari.

>> 1988 3.1 ITB E30 /// 2002 E46 M3 6MT / 2008 335xi 6MT / 1991 S38B36 E30 (sold)

Comment

My grandmom not her no more so Imma take my kids to see there grandmom
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X