1989 325ic vs 2012 mazda miata

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1989 325ic vs 2012 mazda miata

So today I parked my 325 next to a new miata. You know, it was that micah red color you see around town and say damn....

I looked at it for a second and admired it, but that thing is huge. It is wider than an e30. Although its significantly smaller overall, still just having 2 seats.

Unlike the first two gens, theres a fake center seat in the back. In fact, the z4 and the boxster are truer roadsters, the miata is getting big.

So I went ahead and looked it up online

Engine
    Engine type MZR 2.0L DOHC 16-valve 4-cylinder engine with VVT
    Horsepower
    - Manual transmission 167 hp @ 7000 rpm
    - Automatic transmission 158 hp @ 6700 rpm
    Torque 140 lb-ft @ 5000 rpm

Wheelbase (in) 91.7
    Track, front (in) 58.7
    Track, rear (in) 58.9
    Length (in) 157.3
    Width (in) 67.7
    Height (in) 49.0
    Minimum ground clearance, laden (in) 4.6

FUEL EFFICIENCY
    22/28 city/hwy — 5-speed MT‡
    21/28 city/hwy — 6-speed MT‡
    21/28 city/hwy — 6-speed AT‡

0to 60 in 6.9

curb weight 2500 lbs

my 1989 325 ic

Orignal epa is 21 city 29 highway.
    curb weight 2850

hp 165 tq 170

0-60 7.6

Wheelbase 2,570 mm (101.2 in)
    Length 1988-89 Sedan & Wagon: 4,450 mm (175.2 in)
    1988-89 Convertible: 4,460 mm (175.6 in)
    1990-91 Sedan & Wagon: 4,326 mm (170.3 in)
    1990-93 Convertible: 4,323 mm (170.2 in)
    Width Sedan & Wagon: 1,646 mm (64.8 in)
    2-door Saloon: 1,661 mm (65.4 in)
    Height Sedan & Wagon: 1,379 mm (54.3 in) Convertible: 1,369 mm (53.9 in)
    2-door sedan: 1,400 mm (55.1 in)

Ok so heres my point..... wtf? If my bmw 325ic was on sale right now and it got the same gas mileage as a miata, could basically almost keep up with it, plus it has 4 seats id pay MORE for it. and the truth is I think it would catch up to it on the way to 100 mph.

Overall its almost a tie. for like 300 more pounds it has a trunk and rear seats, and an iron block old school engine... Its amazing it only weighs 350 more pounds. Like maybe my car is made of carbon fiber and his is made of like tin cans.

I THINK that with injectors and a chip my old ass 325 would beat a new miata in a race.
    Last edited by stamar; 03-20-2012, 01:57 AM.

whats most shocking actually...

is what terrible gas mileage a miata gets.

my ex is looking at new cars and she likes the new optima yawn. Theres no way I could sell her on miata, when not only does it get like 8 mpg less, it has 40 less hp.

and its tiny in comparison and more expensive.

Comment

yeah the NC is kind of a failure

the next one should be a lot better

Comment

you're really off base. quite deluded.

-your 325ic gets 23mpg. a miata easily gets 30mpg.
        -it weighs 300lbs less and has a much stronger and more rigid chassis. much more advanced engineering and safer in an accident.
        -z4 is gigantic compared to a miata, it's 8" longer and 600lbs heavier.

stock for stock, a miata will destroy an e30 in autocross and on the track.
        AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post

-it weighs 300lbs less and has a much stronger and more rigid chassis. much more advanced engineering and safer in an accident.

Not if I drill a hole in the Miata's oil pan first.

BMW über alles!!
          1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

comparing the NC to the previous miatas, what brainspoon said still holds true. the NC is a bit porky compared to an NA or NB.

the next miata should be really good.
            AWD > RWD

Comment

I'm hoping so, the NC was understatedly sort of a disappointment. Hardtops for the NA and NB are getting harder to find... Just picked up an NB that soon going spec. Our SM NA is kinda tired, and its a piss ass slow 96 :(

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
              PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

why do you guys know about miatas so much? I only see gays driving them around town
                "I wanna see da boat movie"
                "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

according to mazda usa

22 city 28 highway five speed

and no according to what i just copied and pasted for you it wouldnt destroy it in any sort of race. Im positive a 2 seater e30 would destroy a new miata.

but whats worse is that its from the 80s and a miata is brand new.

I get 28 mpg highway with my 325

the orignal epa was 21 29 on my 325 when new. that mpg site shows all the mileage from old cars distorted.

I did just show you the info i cut and pasted.
                  Last edited by stamar; 03-20-2012, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy View Post
                    Not if I drill a hole in the Miata's oil pan first.
                    Quoted for truth.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                    1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                    1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                    2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

I can't wait for the next thread

1985 325e vs 2012 Ford F-150

325e gets better gas mileage!! And it comes in manual! Why don't more people buy it?!!?
                      Originally posted by TSI
                      ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
                      OEM+

Comment

^ omg rofl.

Stamar, you're a damn looney.

Do your research next time. And listen to people who know more than you.
                        AWD > RWD

Comment

^ omg rofl.

Stamar, you're a damn looney.

Do your research next time. And listen to people who know more than you.
                          HAHAH

I actually copied all the stats of two vehicles there for people who know how to read to compare.

Theres actually no more research to do.... If there is any statistic of the 2 vehicles I didnt think to look up, look it up right now and share it. How about track times?

Listen to me, I know more than you. Dont ever post in any of my threads unless you have something to add on the subject. Either read about it from a source and share that source or, explain some qualification of your opinion and why youre blowing air, or dont post. Contribute, or read.
                          Multiple intelligent paragraphs of 8th grade writing level or above or get out. No tee hee OWNZORS crap thats for somewhere else.
                          Im not interested in what you think so stop sending me messages rocket scientist. Thanks.

What a maroon.
                          My favorite is you arguing with the gas mileage when I cut and pasted all of that information from mazda and from the epa.

Do some research.wtf. I copied all the stats of the miata from mazdausa.com and all the stats from the e30 from e30stats except for epa gas mileage( they only list overall gas mileage) I looked up what is the epa gas mileage of 89 325ic.

Only an idiot would argue with these statistics as delusional, the stupidest person here. Do you think the width and height of the vehicles is wrong too? the 0-60 times, is that a delusion I made up?
                          You definitely caught me off guard, I didnt expect someone to be contradicting the vehicle stats i copied and pasted there for consideration..... only one person was that dense I dont think thats common.
                          the overall gas mileage observed from consumer reports! is 21 for 325i and 24 for 2010 miata. Theres a different fresh stat I just looked up for intelligent people to consider.
                          gas mileage between the 80s and the 2000s is only an estimate because of different epa tests. Observed gas mileage would be a fairer comparison which I did just provide.
                          the CURRENT gas mileage is literally figured out by the obd 2 computer on the car, so your old ass obd 1 trip computer on your 325 is the best source for a comparison number. i get 20 c 28 hway.

I dont even want to point it out to you. If telling you youre a moron helped anything, Im sure you wouldnt be a moron.

Your whole comment suggests you just decided who knows more than you do and agreed with them. Not even looking something up.

That means about half of what you think is fact is in fact bullshit some stronger willed person just told you is right.

all my research is right on and I trust no ones opinion. If its educated its worth looking up thats about as high as I can rank anyones opinion on a car forum. Your opinions I wouldnt even bother looking up. Why? Because I just looked at every figure you shared in my discussion thread and you were 100% wrong....? Your opinion is now worthless for discussions...
                          Last edited by stamar; 03-20-2012, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lolcantturn View Post
                            I can't wait for the next thread

1985 325e vs 2012 Ford F-150

325e gets better gas mileage!! And it comes in manual! Why don't more people buy it?!!?
                            Ya actually as opposed to that comparison the 325 is actually a larger vehicle and very similar.

well anyhow, the comparison actually shows the mazda miata as a horrible modern vehicle all things considered, in the performance areas. In terms of quality and handling it is still near the top

I shared the dimensions of the vehicles too, which show that even though they are 2 seat and 4 seat vehicles, their dimensions are actually suprisingly close. And their weight as well. Did anyone else read the statistics I posted? The two vehicles are remarkably similar, more so than when the miata was new.

The modern miata is a lot like an e30 325, in my opinion. Im pretty sure everyone who gave it some thought agrees.

I mean, a 128 is a lot like an e30 right? And a miata is a lot like a 128 right?
                            I believe it also has the same gas mileage as the bmw 128 and compares poorly to it in many areas.

If someone wanted to compare the stats of those two by memory they mostly favor a 128i.

Sometimes I think forums should have a form to fill out requiring the person actually read before posting... I wanted to establish an education in the similarities of the vehicle before listening to anyones opinions.
                            Because of course someone without this education would contribute garbage.
                            Last edited by stamar; 03-20-2012, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Alright I am going to give you this, the NC is quite a bit more similar to the E30 than I would have imagined, at least in some specs anyway.

But seriously, you are the one who is delusional. The Miata, and hell, even the E30 are cars that aren't just the sum of a bunch of random statistics. The Miata is and always has been a car built solely for the enjoyment of driving. Mazda knows that nobody in their right mind would buy a Miata as an only car, and they are completely fine with that, which is why you cannot compare it to most cars based on stats alone.

Oh and BTW about your 128i comparison, the 128i is EPA rated at 18/28. And no, they are not that similar at all. Espicially when you consider the Miata has a MSRP of $23.4k vs $36.9k for a 'vert 128i. Your comparing apples to oranges in terms of what the cars are meant to be, but trying to say they are incredibly similar by using stats that quite honestly few owners of either car actually care about.

Comment

Working...
                              X