Help ordering my BC Coilovers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help ordering my BC Coilovers

I called BC and tried placing an order. The service tech seemed pretty knowledgeable but probably not about e30's.

I asked about custom spring rates, and he said the e30 set up comes with 8k/8k or 6k/6k (I don't remember) I asked about 10k/12k as I've seen many run on this forum and e30 tech. He said he didn't know if that would be possible, and if so, I might as well just weld in a steel rod, that's how stiff it will be.

I was thinking 10k front 12k rear, with a shortened spring in the front. The 200mm's I've heard are pretty long, so would you recommend a 180mm or 160mm spring?

I'm sitting on 205/50/16's (16x8 ) et-23 with some small spacers.

Can someone shed some light on this set up, and help me out. He made it sound like 10k/12k would be ridiculous. This is for a DD/Track application with a S50 swap.

Please & Thank you.

This is why you should buy quality coilovers like Ground Control. BC is no different than any other eBay brand, and the guy obviously has no idea what he is talking about.
    -Alex

Comment

lol @ steel rods. Not that BC isn't an option, go with something tried and true.

Project log -- DIRTY 30

2.7i * Megasquirt tuned * E85 powered

Comment

This has now become a GC vs BC coilover thread
        Commence!
        Originally posted by TSI
        ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
        OEM+

Comment

Too stiff. I'm running 7 and 5kgs springs on my Tiburon (it's a track car)

If you plan on running r-comps like I do, you'd want softer springs and thicker roll bars. If it's a "stance" car you'd probably be better off with the 10/12 you had listed. If it's a drift car get 10/14. For road race you're probably looking for 8/10.

Comment

And.. shorter springs just means that it throws off the entire suspension geometry. Shoter spring in the front vs. longer spring in the rear is just a really bad idea. You'd be happy with 8 x 2.5" ID springs all the way around, stiffer isn't always better.

Comment

I'm going for a "stance car"/"drift car" multipurpose. That's why I was thinking 10/12k. I'm definitely going to be drifting it, but I want some stance to go along with it.

And I can get shorter springs in the rear as well. He said they come 200F/160R so I could go 180F/140R or 160F/120R to keep the geometry even.

And I'm not opposed to GC at all, I've just been reading a lot of good reviews on BC lately.

Comment

Originally posted by Rsully70sev View Post
                I've just been reading a lot of good reviews on BC lately.

This is a sure sign of the coming apocalypse.
                ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Originally posted by Rsully70sev View Post
                  I've just been reading a lot of good reviews on BC lately.
                  I'm sure 90% of the people that gave the good reviews have no credibility whatsoever haha
                  -Alex

Comment

haha at the steel rod welded in, i ended up going with the 10k/12k with 160/120 springs and its not even that bad. can get a bit bouncy on freeways depending on your dampening. it equals out to about 550lbs/750lbs.

it definitely feels sweet sliding around on this setup especially with almost no body roll. though if this is strictly a track whore i would probably go for the 10k/14k.(dont forget your reinforcement tabs!)

Comment

Originally posted by themoonman View Post
                      haha at the steel rod welded in, i ended up going with the 10k/12k with 160/120 springs and its not even that bad. can get a bit bouncy on freeways depending on your dampening. it equals out to about 550lbs/750lbs.

it definitely feels sweet sliding around on this setup especially with almost no body roll. though if this is strictly a track whore i would probably go for the 10k/14k.(dont forget your reinforcement tabs!)
                      10k/14k is way too stiff. The rear springs should be no more than 125-150% of the front (in lb/in.). 550/750 is about that. 14kg in the rear will cause a see-saw effect under hard cornering.
                      -Alex

Comment

Originally posted by acolella76 View Post
                        I'm sure 90% of the people that gave the good reviews have no credibility whatsoever haha
                        True, this could definitely be the case. But you don't need to be a NASA tech to know if your car's riding well or not. As I said, I'm not opposed to GC at all, the extra $500 fuhgettaboutit.

Is it the same deal shortening the strut housing and welding them on as the BC's?

Comment

Originally posted by acolella76 View Post
                          10k/14k is way too stiff. The rear springs should be no more than 125-150% of the front (in lb/in.). 550/750 is about that. 14kg in the rear will cause a see-saw effect under hard cornering.

very true but he is interested in a drift setup so i am sure that he wouldnt mind less grip in the rear.

Comment

Originally posted by themoonman View Post
                            very true but he is interested in a drift setup so i am sure that he wouldnt mind less grip in the rear.
                            It wouldn't have less grip, it would be bouncing through the corners! haha

OP, if you are considering BC coilovers, buy Megan coilovers on eBay. Exact same thing... $150 cheaper.
                            -Alex

Comment

I'll go with GC. Same set up, 10k/12k.

Is it basically the same install?

Comment

Working...
                              X