Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Canadian e30 pass US import regulations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Canadian e30 pass US import regulations?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Canadian e30 325 in Canada. But I need to know if anyone's done this before or know if e30 can pass the customs. It's a Canadian spec with kilometer dashboard, but all others should be same.. Will this be possible?

ETK information:

Last edited by ksjdan; 07-11-2012, 12:08 PM.
    My 1990 325is Build Thread

What year E30?

Comment

the KM on the dash doesn't matter. what matters is DOT safety regulations and EPA emissions. if it has US equipment there, it'll be no problem.

you need to find the # for BMW Canada and get them to send you a letter that states the car meets US regulations. You need it to cross the border (legally).
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Almost certainly. I know several are in the US now.

Any over 25 years are no problems for you as well.

*edit* we usually crib your standards for crash safety and emission anyhow...
        Originally Posted by ACMF74
        i clicked on this cuz i saw p3nis

Comment

I called BMW US and got them to create the document which will allow the car to leave Canada. It'll take 10 business days to process, but Seller is willing to hold the car until the document is emailed. Any other inputs? From a quick search, it looks like headlights, airbags, emissions and a few other things are the main reasons for the manufacturer document.

Comment

Might not want to buy a canadian car... they use some pretty nasty salts in the winter, i bought a fiero from canada and everything imaginable was rusty. Just make sure you know the rust condition.
            John 16:33

sigpic

Comment

The sellers ad said the sheet metal has not rotted away yet.
              Here are his exact words:

Light rust on drivers door, back rim of the trunk lid, and drivers quarter panel (all sheet metal still solid though, no major rot)
              Looks like ill be having a lot of fun with a torch :D

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                the KM on the dash doesn't matter. what matters is DOT safety regulations and EPA emissions. if it has US equipment there, it'll be no problem.

you need to find the # for BMW Canada and get them to send you a letter that states the car meets US regulations. You need it to cross the border (legally).
                I called BMW USA and they're going to process me a document with some information regarding emissions and safety regulations and etc i suppose. The ETK shows that its a USA spec car. "E30 Coupe 325i USA L M" even though it has a Canada National sticker. The car does not have airbags so I am assuming safety has something to say about that.
                the car will be shipped to Alabama where there is no emissions test. Will there still be a detailed emissions test? I fear it might not pass. :(

Also does anyone know a fairly priced transportation company that is willing to ship from Canada? Its quite difficult to find.

Comment

it probably has DRL too, but honestly as a Canadian, I second finding out the real deal with rust... there are some pretty brutal cars up here, it is MUCH more rare to find one rust free, than cancerous and dying.

I would guess there are many less rusty examples closer to you man.
                  Originally Posted by ACMF74
                  i clicked on this cuz i saw p3nis

Comment

you need to call us customs and give them the vin. they will be able to tell if the car complies with us dot regulations. they will also tell you what paperwork and customs fees will need to be paid to bring this into the country.

also, i don't know the price, but a little rust leads to a lot of rust. being a guy from the south, i wouldn't touch a rusty car with a ten foot pole unless it was to be a parts car. for me at least, it wouldn't be worth the trouble. sterling silver is a cool color though.

i suggest looking in the south for something nice and rust free. you can get it shipped to you from most anywhere in the country if you look for 6-800 bucks.
                    sigpic
                    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by ksjdan View Post
                      I called BMW USA and they're going to process me a document with some information regarding emissions and safety regulations and etc i suppose. The ETK shows that its a USA spec car. "E30 Coupe 325i USA L M" even though it has a Canada National sticker. The car does not have airbags so I am assuming safety has something to say about that.
                      the car will be shipped to Alabama where there is no emissions test. Will there still be a detailed emissions test? I fear it might not pass. :(

Also does anyone know a fairly priced transportation company that is willing to ship from Canada? Its quite difficult to find.
                      you'd only need airbags if it was a 1990 +

they don't test emissions at the border.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Say's US Spec's for emissions so maybe a speedo overlay in MPH/KM will bring it to US Specs and the airbag.
                        https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

you don't need to convert the speedo..
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Pac1373 View Post
                            I would guess there are many less rusty examples closer to you man.
                            +1000

After the hassle of this whole endeavour, i'm pretty sure it's not worth it, esp on a car that seems to already need rust attention.

hold out dude, if I were in the states back in 03 I sure as hell wouldn't have blown 7g's on a 325is e30! that kinda money would have gotten me closer to a decent e30 m3 back then
                            Last edited by Stanley Rockafella; 07-11-2012, 09:35 AM.
                            If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

ew. canada
                              Girls, you can't be the first, but you can be next

325ix

Comment

Working...
                              X