Questions about college networks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about college networks

If I know an open port, should that port theoretically be able to access all sorts of programs? I use port 23 for AIM, direct connections, stuff like that - could I use it to play online games?

What can I do to protect my computer within the network? I don't want any of my files to be visible to any people hooked up to the network, hopefully not even visible to the network admins. What can I do about this?

Thanks in advance.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

software firewall, block ports etc

Comment

norton firewall or zonealarm. :)

Comment

people can only sort through your files if you allow them. If you don't use filesharing then there aren't many ways in. If your computer was hacked - that's a different story. Keep up to date on your windows updates, using a software firewall can help, but can also be alot of trouble.

Pretty much any program can be programmed to run on any port. Ports aren't specific to a certain program. For example, you could run a web server off the FTP port and FTP on the webserver port if you wanted to. You just have to keep that in mind when connecting because you won't be using the default port.

As far as online gaming... most game servers defaultly run on specific ports... it is possible for network admins to block access to those ports, but chances are they don't do it (or only do it for certain games). As far as I know, most people can play games like counterstrike from a campus network.
        Michael Spiegle

'01 Ford Escape / Daily Driver
        '99 M3 / Track Car
        '87 325is bronzit / wtf car
        '06 Daytona Triumph 675 / Daily Rider

Comment

another program you can try that's a bit tricky to setup is kerio personal firewall. I think you can use the older versions for free, do a search on google and you will find their page.

Some things you can do within windows to protect yourself, update to all lates patches (duh), set your logins with passwords (instead of nothing like most people), turn off file sharing, etc. I'm sure if you do some reasearch on windows security you'll find other things you can do. the best is a firewall, I like KPF because you have a lot of control over it. Norton's firewall sucks IMO.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

TO answer your first question, yes, and no.

For example, if you are using AIM, which for our purposes we'll say uses TCP on port 23, and then you want to play, oh, UT2K3 on that port, which also uses TCP (for our intents and purposes) then no, that won't work. However, if you want to play Q3A, a UDP game (for our intents and purposes) then yes, you can.

capiche?

At leats thats my understanding of the matter.
            My mountains are better than yours.

Comment

you can use whatever port you want for most games, however you must make sure both client and server are set to that port...

Comment

Working...
              X